The Student Room Group

Dropout of UCL - Reapply to Cambridge

Hey TSR!

I'm a first year undergraduate student studying a BioMed related course at UCL and am currently facing a dilemma: I am not enjoying my course and the way that my course is run at my uni at all. I applied for undergrad Medicine at Cambridge but was rejected. I always thought that after I finished my current degree that I would then go on and apply for graduate Medicine at Cambridge. I'm just not sure if I should continue on with my degree and graduate or if I should dropout and reapply to Cam next year (and no I am not "hung up on Cambridge and refuse to let go of the dream" - I honestly don't care about prestige since my current uni is a top uni anyway, but they just don't know how to teach and run a course)?

I know that dropping out of a degree doesn’t look too good, but I just feel like I’m spending all of this money on a course that I feel is very different then what was described to me in the uni prospectus and at open days. I am an academic rep for my course and have voiced my concerns to my tutors and lecturers, but after speaking with past students they too have said that they recommended many changes to be made to the course but nothing was ever done. Are there any alternatives that could help me on my way towards studying Medicine? What would Cambridge think of me dropping out and my reasons for doing so? I’m kind of lost as to how I should proceed and would appreciate any advice that you could give me. (Also, I'm a mature student if that matters...???... :P)

Thank You!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jujifruit
Hey TSR!

I'm a first year undergraduate student studying BioMed at a London uni and am currently facing a dilemma: I am not enjoying my course and the way that my course is run at my uni at all. I applied for undergrad Medicine at Cambridge but was rejected. I always thought that after I finished my current degree that I would then go on and apply for graduate Medicine at Cambridge. I'm just not sure if I should continue on with my degree and graduate or if I should dropout and reapply to Cam next year (and no I am not "hung up on Cambridge and refuse to let go of the dream" - I honestly don't care about prestige since my current uni is a top uni anyway, but they just don't know how to teach and run a course)?

I know that dropping out of a degree doesn’t look too good, but I just feel like I’m spending all of this money on a course that I feel is very different then what was described to me in the uni prospectus and at open days. I am an academic rep for my course and have voiced my concerns to my tutors and lecturers, but after speaking with past students they too have said that they recommended many changes to be made to the course but nothing was ever done. Are there any alternatives that could help me on my way towards studying Medicine? What would Cambridge think of me dropping out and my reasons for doing so? I’m kind of lost as to how I should proceed and would appreciate any advice that you could give me. (Also, I'm a mature student if that matters...???... :P)

Thank You!

So you applied to Cambridge and got a rejection. What was your feedback from Cambridge? And how does dropping out of UCL strengthen your application to make a reapplication to Cambridge more likely to be successful? Note, you'd be expected to have a reference from UCL...

Which course would you be reapplying for? Medicine? Or NatSci?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
So you applied to Cambridge and got a rejection. What was your feedback from Cambridge? And how does dropping out of UCL strengthen your application to make a reapplication to Cambridge more likely to be successful? Note, you'd be expected to have a reference from UCL...

Which course would you be reapplying for? Medicine? Or NatSci?

My feedback was just that my application was strong and I have high grades and test scores, but during my interview I took a little too long to answer their questions which made me seem unsure and not confident of my answers (even though my answers were correct). I forgot to mention that I was pooled and reinterviewed at a mature college where they said that during my interview I needed a bit too much prompting from the interviewers.

Like I said in my question, I understand that being a dropout isn't great, but why should I be paying £9250 in tuition fees plus the cost of London living expenses for a course that is not well structure, there's zero guidance and support, and at the end of the day it's just me sitting in front of the computer reading things online (I can do that for free)? I like independent learning, I like learning on my own, that's not an issue for me and I know that that's how they do it at Cambridge, but I am not pushed at all on my current course. I have always given myself the heaviest possible workload at school and I seem to excel when there's a lot of pressure on me and there are high expectations which I think makes me pretty well suited for Cambridge because although the workload is tough, at the end of the day you get something out of it. Yes, on my current course I am at the top of my class and already predicted at getting a first degree, but I don't want to just breeze through my degree, I want to actually take something away from it.

I would like to think that my commitment to getting the best education possible and doing everything that I can to ensure that I consistently improve as a student and individual would reflect that I would not make the decision to dropout lightly, and show just how serious and committed I am about studying Medicine (I would have reapplied right away, but my parents died and I only really accepted the offer for my current course so that I could live off of student funding). Also, why should I endure 3-4 years of unnecessary misery and depression? So far, during my time at uni, I have managed to get some more work experience and will continue to do so throughout the year so hopefully that might strengthen my application as well.

I would be reapplying for Medicine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
My feedback was just that my application was strong and I have high grades and test scores, but during my interview I took a little too long to answer their questions which made me seem unsure and not confident of my answers (even though my answers were correct). I forgot to mention that I was pooled and reinterviewed at a mature college where they said that during my interview I needed a bit too much prompting from the interviewers.

Like I said in my question, I understand that being a dropout isn't great, but why should I be paying £9250 in tuition fees plus the cost of London living expenses for a course that is not well structure, there's zero guidance and support, and at the end of the day it's just me sitting in front of the computer reading things online (I can do that for free)? I like independent learning, I like learning on my own, that's not an issue for me and I know that that's how they do it at Cambridge, but I am not pushed at all on my current course. I have always given myself the heaviest possible workload at school and I seem to excel when there's a lot of pressure on me and there are high expectations which I think makes me pretty well suited for Cambridge because although the workload is tough, at the end of the day you get something from it. Yes, on my current course I am at the top of my class and already predicted at getting a first degree, but I don't want to just breeze through my degree, I want to actually take something away from it.

I would like to think that my commitment to getting the best education possible and doing everything that I can to ensure that I consistently improve as a student and individual would reflect that I would not make the decision to dropout lightly, and show just how serious and committed I am about studying Medicine (I would have reapplied right away, but my parents died and I only really accepted the offer for my current course so that I could live off of student funding). Also, why should I endure 3-4 years of unnecessary misery and depression? So far, during my time at uni, I have managed to get some more work experience and will continue to do so throughout the year so hopefully that might strengthen my application as well.

I would be reapplying for Medicine.

Sorry about your bereavements.

But your issues with UCL aren't really relevant or of interest to Cambridge.

Presumably you were also rejected from your other MedSchool choices? As you will know medicine is extremely competitive, and even re-applying is no guarantee of success.

If you are on track for a good First at UCL I don't really understand the benefit of dropping out (and being a year in debt) for the risky route of reapplying for Medicine elsewhere.

Stay with UCL. Continue to make a fuss about the course, get the good first and then apply for graduate entry medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Sorry about your bereavements.

But your issues with UCL aren't really relevant or of interest to Cambridge.

Presumably you were also rejected from your other MedSchool choices? As you will know medicine is extremely competitive, and even re-applying is no guarantee of success.

If you are on track for a good First at UCL I don't really understand the benefit of dropping out (and being a year in debt) for the risky route of reapplying for Medicine elsewhere.

Stay with UCL. Continue to make a fuss about the course, get the good first and then apply for graduate entry medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What issues with UCL would be relevant or of interest to Cambridge?
Reply 5
What issues with UCL would be relevant or of interest to Cambridge?

?

None.
You could drop out and reapply, but what would your plans be if you didn't get in?
Reply 7
?

None.

So does Cambridge just not accept dropouts? Are you saying that there's just no excuse for dropping out of uni?
That would be pretty dumb. It's already extremely hard to get into Cambridge medicine, and you'd be giving up a position at a prestigious university just for a chance to try to get into Cambridge. What will you do if you are rejected? You'd have wasted 2 years of your life. Just do postgraduate at Cambridge and you'd be golden. Most universities in the world are like UCL in regards to their teaching. Why can't you just apply to Oxford or Cambridge while you are in college?
Reply 9
Original post by Poooky
You could drop out and reapply, but what would your plans be if you didn't get in?

I have already secured positions for assisting doctors during clinical trials as well as being a member of Alzheimer's and Cancer societies where I would help to recruit patients for research and clinical trials and organize fundraisers. Basically I would be working, getting work experience, and saving up some money.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
So does Cambridge just not accept dropouts? Are you saying that there's just no excuse for dropping out of uni?

No I'm saying your reason for dropping out isn't relevant to Cambridge. You would be accepted or not on merit, not because you have dropped out to reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't do it you fool. Drop out and you will regret it.
Reply 12
Why not apply to Medicine at UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Why not apply to Medicine at UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They say that my current course is very similar to what is being done on the Medicine course, but if our course is already a hot mess then I can't imagine what it's like once you throw in the clinical stuff. And if it's taught in the same way then no thank you. Maybe UCL just isn't for me? Perhaps it's just a bad fit?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey TSR!

I'm a first year undergraduate student studying BioMed at UCL and am currently facing a dilemma: I am not enjoying my course and the way that my course is run at my uni at all. I applied for undergrad Medicine at Cambridge but was rejected. I always thought that after I finished my current degree that I would then go on and apply for graduate Medicine at Cambridge. I'm just not sure if I should continue on with my degree and graduate or if I should dropout and reapply to Cam next year (and no I am not "hung up on Cambridge and refuse to let go of the dream" - I honestly don't care about prestige since my current uni is a top uni anyway, but they just don't know how to teach and run a course)?

Thank You!

Don't drop out. Complete your UCL degree and then try Cambridge for graduate medicine.

Be wise and finish what you've started. Nobody likes a quitter.
Reply 15
No I'm saying your reason for dropping out isn't relevant to Cambridge. You would be accepted or not on merit, not because you have dropped out to reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooooh, I see. Sorry, I totally read your other message in a completely different way. My only concern is that if they ask why I dropped out or if I explain my reasons in their SAQ form, then would my reasons be acceptable or are my concerns ridiculous? Personally, I don't think so, but thoughts?
how are you a course representative this little time into first year already
Reply 17
Original post by tinycharlie
That would be pretty dumb. It's already extremely hard to get into Cambridge medicine, and you'd be giving up a position at a prestigious university just for a chance to try to get into Cambridge. What will you do if you are rejected? You'd have wasted 2 years of your life. Just do postgraduate at Cambridge and you'd be golden. Most universities in the world are like UCL in regards to their teaching. Why can't you just apply to Oxford or Cambridge while you are in college?

As I already said, I am not in it for the prestige...I can't help it if Cambridge knows how to teach their students and run a course, and UCL doesn't. I have spoken to people who go there and I attended their Medicine Summer School so I have an idea of how things are run there I think that the course structure and their way of teaching would suit me.

If I'm rejected, then I will be working and gaining work experience which at the moment is teaching me more than my course. Also, I would take "wasting" 2 years over wasting 4 especially since then I wouldn't be working up a sizable debt.

It says right on the Cambridge website that only in truly exceptional circumstances would they allow someone who is already attending another uni to apply to Cambridge. So no, I can't apply while at UCL because a.) It's wrong and against the rules and b.) the consequences could be severe if they found out that I lied.
Reply 18
Original post by Appleorpear
how are you a course representative this little time into first year already

We had elections like a month ago or something...I don't know I guess that's just how things are done at UCL...???...
Hey TSR!

I'm a first year undergraduate student studying BioMed at UCL and am currently facing a dilemma: I am not enjoying my course and the way that my course is run at my uni at all. I applied for undergrad Medicine at Cambridge but was rejected. I always thought that after I finished my current degree that I would then go on and apply for graduate Medicine at Cambridge. I'm just not sure if I should continue on with my degree and graduate or if I should dropout and reapply to Cam next year (and no I am not "hung up on Cambridge and refuse to let go of the dream" - I honestly don't care about prestige since my current uni is a top uni anyway, but they just don't know how to teach and run a course)?

Thank You!

Did you apply to other unis for medicine last year (as well as Cambridge)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending