The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Important for your future?

I've been rejected by Cam and I have been looking through some threads and I hve seen some comments about once you go in the real world going to Oxbridge doesn't really matter. But in my opinion I do believe Oxbridge does give you a boost in the future.
Thoughts??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seungy_Han
I've been rejected by Cam and I have been looking through some threads and I hve seen some comments about once you go in the real world going to Oxbridge doesn't really matter. But in my opinion I do believe Oxbridge does give you a boost in the future.
Thoughts??

What are you basing your opinion on?
Reply 2
Original post by Forecast
What are you basing your opinion on?

The fact that Oxbridge graduates earn £200,000 more in a lifetime than other Russell group gradutes. Also a lot of employers would be looking for someone who studied at one of the best universities in the world?
It's more likely that the traits Oxbridge look for (an ability to think more deeply about your subject and to think critically and argue under pressure) are the ones that will give you an advantage in life rather than the degree itself.
The fact that Oxbridge graduates earn £200,000 more in a lifetime than other Russell group gradutes.

I think you missed out the most important bit there: 'on average'
Reply 5
Original post by Forecast
I think you missed out the most important bit there: 'on average'

Not sure how adding "on average" would change my point
Reply 6
I think the Telegraph isn't that bad of a place to get information?
Reply 7
Yes, the average can be boosted by a few individuals but there is no denying that Oxbridge do earn more than other average graduates
Reply 8
Thanks for the reliable article. The article still supports my opinon on that Oxbridge graduates do earn more than most russell group universities
I think an important piece of information is what are your other unis and what are you studying for? Yeah Oxbridge graduates might make more money compared to other RG but if you're off to do economics at LSE or something like that then the difference is not worth considering.
You seem to be ignoring ability, which is somethign that gives you a better chance of getting into Oxbridge. There are plenty of bright and capable peopel that go to other universities though - Oxbridge has limited places and there's the variability of interviews and exams.

Maybe in the beginning with no experience a prestigious uni will give you some sort of advantage. After that though it’s all experience.
It also depends where you want to work. Well-known universities will give some advantage internationally.
I think graduating from Oxbridge would help you get where you want to be much easier.
I'm thinking about this too. Was rejected by Oxford and I'm thinking of taking a gap year just for the sake of reapplication. Now that everyone's saying Oxbridge doesn't matter - so is it worth the while to take a gap year?

Actually despite being repeatedly reassured by others that a rejection simply means Oxford was not the right school for me rather than me being too stupid to be selected. I still can't get over the rejection though.
I dont think I said I say Oxbridge graduates earn more because of the Unis reputation. But if did I appear to be be making a point like that I apologise. I do think the work ethic and academic ability required to go to Oxbridge will help you in the future not only the reputation of the uni.
Original post by Lougracebear
I'm thinking about this too. Was rejected by Oxford and I'm thinking of taking a gap year just for the sake of reapplication. Now that everyone's saying Oxbridge doesn't matter - so is it worth the while to take a gap year?

Actually despite being repeatedly reassured by others that a rejection simply means Oxford was not the right school for me rather than me being too stupid to be selected. I still can't get over the rejection though.

I think Im also considering taking a gap year but for now I think im gonna try to focus on whats infront of me and try to do amazing in my A-levels. I think you should use the rejection as motiavation to either get an offer next year from oxford or another uni you prefer
The fact that Oxbridge graduates earn £200,000 more in a lifetime than other Russell group gradutes. Also a lot of employers would be looking for someone who studied at one of the best universities in the world?

money isn't the only definition of success :wink:

you can be a graduate from the best uni, have loads of wealth, a huge house with family and 2.5 kids and still be profoundly unhappy. of course having enough wealth and security to be stable is important, but it is far from everything (and indeed, the above lifestyle is not what everyone wants or aspires to)

the graph above only bugs me because I'm trilingual. I worked hard to speak Spanish and French, rip xDD
For b) and c) I can't prove. But for a) students have good work ethic because of the fact that they require that for you go get an offer and study there.
Reply 17
Look, I agree there's no point in being a snob about it, but at the same time, this is just demonstrably wrong. It really isn't the same. At all. There's also no point in denying reality.
True. As I said, there are plenty of bright and able people that go elesewhere.

They don’t base just on intelligence. Look at ibz mo. He got into Cambridge with c’s and d’s at GCSEs. It’s a wide range of things.

Exam results aren't always a good measure of ability or potential, especially for those that went to under-performing schools. Oxbridge, whilst insanely competitive, does understand that. Frankly, many other universities do less well at this.

I have two degrees from Oxford. I've worked in France, the UK and now the USA, including interviewing and making hiring decisions. Ability and its demonstration through what you've achieved, are the biggest factors in hiring, but a reputable university may swing an interview when the CV isn't as well presented as it could be.

Years of experience are irrelevant in my area (Software Engineering) - the very able can learn more from 5 years experience than most will get in a whole career. The only aspect of experience that I look for is that people have done challenging things.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think Im also considering taking a gap year but for now I think im gonna try to focus on whats infront of me and try to do amazing in my A-levels. I think you should use the rejection as motiavation to either get an offer next year from oxford or another uni you prefer

My situation is pretty complicated here. I'm an international student and I'm not applying for the same course in my region ( FYI I applied for English at Oxford but sciences in HK, where I'm from ). So you could see I really really really want to do English, but Hong Kong, a city in China, is simply not the place for English studies. Once I give up Oxford, there's no chance for me to do English anymore. And honestly a gap year is always a soft option for most students in HK despite unsatisfactory results.

Did you ask for feedback? I need to see what they thought of me in the first place, if they thought me a piece of absolute trash then there really is no point in reapplying.

The same batch of students applying for Oxbridge usually go for other RG schools as well, and I believe you will get offers from some brilliant schools you like. Best wishes and good luck on your exam. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending