The Student Room Group

Has a teacher ever helped you cheat in an exam?

Poll

Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?

A week or so ago I started this thread about the recently released data on 'malpractice' (cheating) in the 2017 exams.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5127298

What was surprising was the number of stories of teachers actually helping their students 'cheat'.

Examples included acting out the words in a listening exam, giving extra time without justification and drafting coursework.

Have you experienced any teacher cheating. What happened :question:

Scroll to see replies

Hahahaha, my old French teacher quite literally wrote a sentence for me to say at the end on a Post-it whilst we were recording my speaking exam for GCSE French. I completely ignored it as she was trying to get me to say something in the conditional tense and I already had something planned but I was pretty shocked she did it!
Reply 3
Back in my GCSE days I went in for a Science retake but wasn't allowed in by the deputy head of science as my name wasn't on the list. After I went to the reception to sort the matter out I burst into tears. Eventually, the deputy allowed me to take the exam but in a 'special' room where only a handful of others were taking the exam. The invigilator, who I recognised from other exams, gave me a hint on the final question when he saw that I hadn't written anything with only a couple of minutes to go.
Now I don't know why he did so, or if he had been told that it was my retake or that I had been crying earlier, but I ended up getting an A on that exam due to his help. And I know that since that time he has become a teacher at that school as I used to see him when I attended Sixth Form.

Another time when I had a controlled coursework for GCSE French writing element, I was basically copying my draft from a piece of paper folded up in my hand. I have a feeling my teacher knew this and was the reason she walked out when I was the only one left for no other obvious reason unless she was bored, to let me finish copying. I think she was one of the deputies of the school.

At the second university that I attended, there were tutors renowned for giving away the exam papers or answers, so much so that former students advised to pick classes of those tutors. It was obvious when we used to see the results of those tutors' students all getting firsts and another tutors not doing nearly as well.
This isn't just second hand, as I had many modules for these tutors. One method used by a renowned tutor was for half the seminar questions to be a copy of those in the exam, with a full compilation of the exam-only ones for those that turn up to an optional revision class a week before the exam, in the form of a mock paper. He didn't give the answers, but told us that all the questions he uses are from a specific examining body's website with just the name changed. Safe to say it wasn't too much of a struggle finding and remembering those answers. This method meant that results were correlated with attendance and the ability to find and remember all the answers, so the spread wasn't as fishy.
However, the usual method was simply leaving the exam paper with the answers on the desk and walking out during the seminar break. One tutor who did this went further and gave an exam question as a seminar task and went through the solution. We knew what he was doing when he shouted at a student for taking a picture, which was not a reaction we'd seen previously as he was usually relaxed about that sort of thing. This tutor was best friends with the first tutor, both being seniors of our department. Both were terrible and never actually put in any effort into teaching students the content. Suffice to say their students would have failed if it wasn't for the tutors helping them cheat. For one module, I chose to go to another tutor's classes as I knew would learn at least something, but friends from the other class did pass around the paper to everyone from my class. Thankfully I didn't fully rely on it because the paper was changed last minute after some other staff found out and I ended up getting grades better than most people I knew. I knew this because friends who were doing it in a 'special' room were shown a memo that told them of the changes directed at the invigilators. Although I would've preferred for tutors not to do this, especially as I was a decent student, I'd be lying if I said I'd do anything different if I could turn back time. When people in authority are like this it's hard to know who to go to as you feel it could jeopardise yourself. Not to mention the snitch culture given my 'friends' were benefiting from it.

Now I don't know if another of the tutors who did this was deliberate in her actions or just naive as she wasn't the worst tutor in the world, but she did do this for multiple modules. I just remembered a third module actually where she flashed the solutions on the revision webinar...

When I was at my first uni, friends of mine were boasting about how their old A-Level tutors used to sell papers...

Edit:
I just remembered the head of science used to alter our coursework. He once told me that I really need to learn how to professionally layout documents. But rather than teaching me, he just edited it all himself, and not just the layout I might add. He claimed it was how all the successful public schools worked. During A levels, his chemistry class got far higher coursework results than the other, so I think he probably did the same thing. I remember in one chem coursework after we conducted the experiment, there was a cheat sheet going around by a member of the other class who came into ours. I decided I was better than that and just put my own answers, but did terribly. Thankfully I decided to drop chemistry after AS and steer away from all that politics.

I'm not sure this was deliberate, but our head of 6th form told us to fill in our UCAS application a way that was contrary to the advice I understood to be correct from researching on TSR at the time. He told us not to put our AS level grades down, and even after I did and tried to explain why, as he was in charge of references and submitting, I couldn't refuse. I don't know for sure on this one, but I think he knew that it would harm pretty much every student declaring AS level grades as at my 6th form especially AS grades were terrible. So he probably explained it away as it being policy to not certify our AS level grades even though they were certified.
(edited 6 years ago)
GCSE foreign language coursework seems to be a big one for teachers helping you out. I learnt mine off by heart and got my As and Bs legit, but for those that didn't learn them and did badly the teacher just let them take in their notes to the recording room.

In GCSE English Language those who did not bother finishing their coursework on time had theirs written by the teacher for them, but she just told them to rewrite basically what she had said into their own words. I thought it was okay at first, but now so realise just how genuinely awful it was. Thing is, for pupils who cannot be bothered doing the work the cheating seems to be the only way that they can get these students C grades and therefore keep their results high.
Original post by Paracosm
Hahahaha, my old French teacher quite literally wrote a sentence for me to say at the end on a Post-it whilst we were recording my speaking exam for GCSE French. I completely ignored it as she was trying to get me to say something in the conditional tense and I already had something planned but I was pretty shocked she did it!

Haha yeah I didn't do GCSE French but in my FCSE French speaking in year 9 the teacher let us read from our scripts in the practice but never did another one, so she must have sent off that one!
Reply 6
My GCSE Computer Science teacher helped our whole class cheat. But he got investigated, and everyone who cheated got marked down (So at least I did my own thing :wink:)
In one of my science ISAs for GCSE my teacher went through the mark scheme with us.
Reply 8
Original post by The Learn Ranger
A week or so ago I started this thread about the recently released data on 'malpractice' (cheating) in the 2017 exams.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5127298

What was surprising was the number of stories of teachers actually helping their students 'cheat'.

Examples included acting out the words in a listening exam, giving extra time without justification and drafting coursework.

Have you experienced any teacher cheating. What happened :question:

When doing my speaking exam in spanish at GCSE my teacher used to mouth out the words to us and had our speech in front of him so he could tell us when we missed a bit out and the class learnt to read spanish upside down....

Also in our science ISA while doing the paper our teacher "flicked" through the powerpoint with all the answers on it whilst the projector was still on...

Our English teacher used to stand over us during our written assessment pretty much telling us what to write while we were doing them. But made sure they were all different enough not to be classed as plagiarism. When it was on of the assessments about a story we had to come up with we had a TA who used to walk around the class with the teacher helping us to improve our stories. All we had to do was plan which was also next to us...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Barib110
My GCSE Computer Science teacher helped our whole class cheat. But he got investigated, and everyone who cheated got marked down (So at least I did my own thing :wink:)

We had something similar but aload of us doing computing were sitting in one of the computer rooms revising when one of the computers turned on as the it people were setting up the practical exam so we saw what the practical was but we then all left of fear of being accused of cheating.
No
I don't need their help. I'm doing a good enough job myself.However, last year a friend of mine while doing his GCSEs had his scribe do his entire English exam for him, and no, not in the way a scribe is supposed to write it for him. Funnily enough though, he only got a 6 despite having a teacher do all the work for him.
When I did my Spanish Speaking IGCSE exam last year, after I had finished the examiner turned off the recorder and asked me if I wanted to repeat it. I said no because I felt it had gone well enough, and maybe bad karma would affect my other exams if I cheated in this one xD. It was a bit shocking tho because I had only met the examiner once before - during my mocks. I'm glad I didn't cheat though, I got good grades anyway :smile:.
GCSE Music, after about the whole of year 10, and half of year 11 procrastinating finishing off my waltz, my teacher decided to "go to the toilet" for about 3 hrs everyday for 2 weeks in a row.
GCSE Geography, teachers didnt even make it clear that there was a time limit for the coursework, i spent about 2 months every day after skl on it (not including lesson time and taking it home to finish).
GCSE PE, same as geog, plus theres this speaking exam? bit, our teacher gave us the questions beforehand.
GCSE Science,i broke my hand so couldnt write my ISA's, my teacher wrote it for me and would always ask if there was something else i was missing to get full marks, and sometimes just wrote things without asking me bc they apparently knew that i knew the answer...
To summarise, coursework was all a lie and my grades didnt really affect where i would go and what subjects i decided to take
(edited 6 years ago)
OH boy you clearly aren't an undercover agent, ok 21 jump street let me tell you all about my academic misconduct.
Yeah, GCSE foreign languages. We usually had the sentences written down in front of us for the speaking tests.

I remember having our hands held through pretty much every single part of the GSCE Maths coursework as well, if that counts. Most student's work must have looked almost identical.
Yeah! A teacher helped in a maths exam in the year 6 SATs...
Reply 17
When I did my A-Levels in the dark ages, our whole year got marked down on our English c/w because one member of staff (not ours) had been caught drafting the coursework submissions for her students. She got sacked, actually.
My deputy head teacher helped 6 of us in our Finance exam as we needed to Re-sit. The exam was done on the computer. After we have done the exam the deputy head teacher told us to leave but we peaked by the door of his office, he was giving all of us the right answer, going through each individuals exam paper on the comp. In the end we all recieved A* on the paper as a final GCSE grade on the our finance exam. Few months later I found out he was fired not for helping the students, for touching up a pupil. But that’s just the rumours I hope. Lmao
My GCSE Biology teacher cheated my whole class through our ISA. :eek:

Our ISA consisted of independent research, practical work, and exam work - all of which regarding a chosen topic within GCSE Science.

She gave us sheets with the research already on it (cheating!), fake results for a practical that didn't happen (more cheating!), and let us take this into the exams (the ISA specification allows us to take our research into the ISA exam with us, but not fake research from the teacher of course - so even more cheating! :s-smilie:)

Despite this, my class only got C and D grades (I got a B because I am a complete nerd :biggrin:). Our teacher, however, wasn't very happy with that, so she made us do the ISA again (yet more cheating!!! :mad:), but this time I asked to do it independently.

I ended up doing it on "How different wavelengths of light affect the rate of photosynthesis", and I got an A*! (Yay! :h:) The lesson here is, don't cheat, because you'll never know that you're capable of more than what cheating will get you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest