The Student Room Group

No reference/missed deadline support group thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackstarr
I got rejected from Greenwich:frown:

How do i appeal?

You can also substitute that choice by calling UCAS - if you can find any universities you like the look of that are still open on UCAS (and are definitely still open after ringing them up).
Original post by PQ
You need to call them up and get a copy of their admissions policy which should explain what to do (it isn't online)

They only make offers to 8% of applicants to child nursing though (https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-greenwich-g70/nursing-childrens-nursing-3-years-9250-b720 ) so it was likely always a long shot.

The guy over the phone gave me an email to contact the right person.

Is this it though? is it over for me and Greenwich:frown:
Original post by PQ
You can also substitute that choice by calling UCAS - if you can find any universities you like the look of that are still open on UCAS (and are definitely still open after ringing them up).

Okay
The guy over the phone gave me an email to contact the right person.

Is this it though? is it over for me and Greenwich:frown:

It might be for this year...You've got time (you have 14 days to substitute a choice) so you can research whether anywhere else has a spot as well as querying it with Greenwich directly.

Things do change though and Nursing is a funny course at the moment - they may well pop back up in Extra and/or Clearing - in which case they can see your application so you might be able to get reconsideration at that point without giving up any other offers. If the local commissioning group suddenly realise they need a bunch more nurses training then commissioned places can be increased as late as May/June.
Okay

Don't be too down - Oxford give out a higher proportion of offers for Medicine than Greenwich do for Child Nursing. It's a very competitive course.
Original post by PQ
It might be for this year...You've got time (you have 14 days to substitute a choice) so you can research whether anywhere else has a spot as well as querying it with Greenwich directly.

Things do change though and Nursing is a funny course at the moment - they may well pop back up in Extra and/or Clearing - in which case they can see your application so you might be able to get reconsideration at that point without giving up any other offers. If the local commissioning group suddenly realise they need a bunch more nurses training then commissioned places can be increased as late as May/June.

I am shattered.

I will look into substitution but all of the unis i applied to are in London because i don't want to be going anywhere else.

I never saw Greenwich in clearing for child nursing last year.
Original post by PQ
Don't be too down - Oxford give out a higher proportion of offers for Medicine than Greenwich do for Child Nursing. It's a very competitive course.

Surely the NHS is dying so the uni is making a big mistake
Surely the NHS is dying so the uni is making a big mistake

The government has been cutting nursing commissions to universities since 2010 (one of the reasons the NHS is struggling!). The removal of the bursary was supposed to "fix" this by allowing universities to recruit as many as they like....but universities still rely on local hospitals/health trusts for placements and so nursing degree places are still capped by the local health bodies.

It's robbing peter to pay paul - saving some cash from a budget that will get trained nurses in 3 years time in order to pay nursing staff today.
Original post by PQ
The government has been cutting nursing commissions to universities since 2010 (one of the reasons the NHS is struggling!). The removal of the bursary was supposed to "fix" this by allowing universities to recruit as many as they like....but universities still rely on local hospitals/health trusts for placements and so nursing degree places are still capped by the local health bodies.

It's robbing peter to pay paul - saving some cash from a budget that will get trained nurses in 3 years time in order to pay nursing staff today.

What a shambles:frown:
Original post by PQ

I know the reason why and i am more devastated. The worst thing is is because of the reference, not my grades or my personal statement. I can't even appeal as the email states i can no longer provide any supporting evidence.:frown:

Dear Blackstarr,

Admissions decisions are a matter of academic judgment which assesses a candidate’s suitability on the basis of the relevance of their qualifications and related experiences, the strength of their personal statement, as well as the academic reference written on the applicant’s behalf.

The University does not provide comprehensive individual feedback regarding unsuccessful applications.

The academic notes on your application state that the decision was based upon:

‘No reference’

Please note that applications will not be reconsidered on the production of additional supporting evidence. Applications are considered based on the information provided at the point of academic assessment only

No further correspondence will be entered into regarding this matter. Although this response may be disappointing, we would like to take this opportunity to wish you well in your future career.

Please do not delete the body of this email as it allows our administrators to reply more efficiently to your enquiry.

Kind regards,

UK Student Recruitment
Communications & Recruitment
University of Greenwich
I know the reason why and i am more devastated. The worst thing is is because of the reference, not my grades or my personal statement. I can't even appeal as the email states i can no longer provide any supporting evidence.:frown:

Dear Blackstarr,

Admissions decisions are a matter of academic judgment which assesses a candidate’s suitability on the basis of the relevance of their qualifications and related experiences, the strength of their personal statement, as well as the academic reference written on the applicant’s behalf.

The University does not provide comprehensive individual feedback regarding unsuccessful applications.

The academic notes on your application state that the decision was based upon:

‘No reference’

Please note that applications will not be reconsidered on the production of additional supporting evidence. Applications are considered based on the information provided at the point of academic assessment only

No further correspondence will be entered into regarding this matter. Although this response may be disappointing, we would like to take this opportunity to wish you well in your future career.

Please do not delete the body of this email as it allows our administrators to reply more efficiently to your enquiry.

Kind regards,
Taseen
UK Student Recruitment
Communications & Recruitment
University of Greenwich

:frown:

That sucks.
Original post by PQ
:frown:

That sucks.

I am at my wits end right now.

Like, i still can't believe its because of a reference.

I feel like this might foreshadow my other univercity's decisions :frown:

Although, i have gotten in touch now with someone else to do my reference but i hope its not too late.
I am at my wits end right now.

Like, i still can't believe its because of a reference.

I feel like this might foreshadow my other univercity's decisions :frown:

Although, i have gotten in touch now with someone else to do my reference but i hope its not too late.

Don't give up. Every university is different and will use different criteria to shortlist. Child nursing is massively competitive, a lot of applicants end up taking a gap year and reapplying or switching to adult nursing because they don't get any offers on the first attempt. It might not be an instant success story - but you've done your best and a few knock backs are something you'll be able to deal with...think of it as practice for when you actually graduate and have to deal with a daft hospital system or a patient who doesn't respond to treatment - it's tough and hurts but building your resilience to cope with these sorts of knock backs is going to help make you a better nurse.
Original post by PQ
Don't give up. Every university is different and will use different criteria to shortlist. Child nursing is massively competitive, a lot of applicants end up taking a gap year and reapplying or switching to adult nursing because they don't get any offers on the first attempt. It might not be an instant success story - but you've done your best and a few knock backs are something you'll be able to deal with...think of it as practice for when you actually graduate and have to deal with a daft hospital system or a patient who doesn't respond to treatment - it's tough and hurts but building your resilience to cope with these sorts of knock backs is going to help make you a better nurse.

I am on a gap year actually and this hurts more because of it.

Anyway, fingers still crossed.
Reply 34
Thanks for making this thread.

I am on a gap year and contacted my ex tutor for a reference. I put him down on ucas through my college but from there i do not know what happened.

My reference has apparently been sitting with my college as my reference section was not ticked. I have emailed my tutor countless of times but time was running out so i had to send mine off without a reference.

inb4 "you could have got someone else to do your reference"-no, i could have not as my ex tutor agreed to be my referee and it was too late by then.

I am now in the process of calling my university to explain my situation. I still can't bring myself to explain what happened.

had the same situation.contacted my old school in november....thought I had it sorted before xmas but they never filled it out. so I followed up with a call, voicemail and email and they sent it 2weeks ago
Original post by PQ

Here is a little update.

Middlesex invited me for an english and maths test. So fingers crossed but i am still not getting my hopes up with the others
Here is a little update.

Middlesex invited me for an english and maths test. So fingers crossed but i am still not getting my hopes up with the others

That's positive:smile: I've added them to the OP (and created a little shitlist just for Greenwich :flute: )
Leeds have invited me to submit an online supporting statement by next Thursday.
Name: Amber :smile:
What went wrong? My reference didn't get sent to our HE administer on time, so I was sent late
Courses: Graphic Design/Graphic Communication/Graphic Design and Illustration
Universities: Greenwich, West London, LCC, Westminster, London Metropolitan

Sorry for this late reply! I was getting annoyed at how my OG thread had been derailed by a rude person and left the site for a few days

The teacher who was meant to do my reference (my tutor has been in the hospital, so she isn't available) avoided me for a few days before actually sending something off to the HE admin. (I have a feeling it's because I started contacting other teachers asking for a reference so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) Luckily I had contacted the admin before, asking her to not send my applications off till I said so since I wanted to contact the universities first. I called all of them and they all said I could still submit my application and it wouldn't be rejected just because it was late, but because they are all looked at in order of application, mine obviously wouldn't be seen as early as those who got theirs in before me, but it worked that way for all applicants. So hopefully it's all good! The universities all contacted and said they got the application on Thursday, and I'm hoping I'll get some sort of response soon!
Original post by PQ

Here is another update which is shattering. Could you clarify as to what this statement actually means.

'You do not meet the residency criteria for this course Unfortunately we are unable provide additional feedback'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending