The Student Room Group

AMD processors

Is AMD a decent processor? Looking for a new laptop as old one has had it but on a budget. Any help appreciated, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends what one and what you want to use it for
Original post by beano150
Is AMD a decent processor? Looking for a new laptop as old one has had it but on a budget. Any help appreciated, thanks

If you intend to use your laptop for general use such as browsing the web and using word doc and stuff, then pretty much any CPU is decent.

If you plan on doing things like gaming and graphic design etc then do not get a laptop no matter what the CPU is.

Get a PC with a Ryzen processor, Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700 would be the best, coupled with 16GB 3000MHz+ ram
As with everything it depends on how much you want to spend. AMD have started doing some very good processors now. On par with Intel.

What do you want to use the computer for?
Reply 4
Original post by joecphillips

It's the one in the link below. Most of my stuff like Spotify, work and movies etc will be done in a browser and I'll have the odd thing (such as Roblox) that won't be done in the browser.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2CS25EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

if you have any other suggestions I'm also open to them. Thanks
Get Apple Mac
Reply 8
Original post by :kjbfvekm
Get Apple Mac

I want a Windows laptop
Reply 9
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Sorry my mistake I kinda rushed the post lol thanks for correcting it 👍
Reply 10
Original post by Jonnyboy799
As with everything it depends on how much you want to spend. AMD have started doing some very good processors now. On par with Intel.

What do you want to use the computer for?

Around £350 is all I can afford and pretty much mostly browser activities like music, movies, social media and work. Only gaming would be Roblox to be honest
Reply 11
Original post by joecphillips

Things like music and movies on Chrome and Roblox
Around £350 is all I can afford and pretty much mostly browser activities like music, movies, social media and work. Only gaming would be Roblox to be honest

The specs seem ok for what you want to do with it.

depends on which processor it is mate.
ryzen are the best at the minute.
but it all depends on what u want to do with ya PC.

pat x

From what I can tell they're not as powerful as an intel, but do better graphics. I have AMD processors on my PC :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Dudee Daa
From what I can tell they're not as powerful as an intel, but do better graphics. I have AMD processors on my PC :smile:

Thanks, is your PC using this processor usable? Like not slow?
Thanks, is your PC using this processor usable? Like not slow?

It is a bit slow but that's probably because it's a 2013 laptop :redface:
Reply 17
It is a bit slow but that's probably because it's a 2013 laptop :redface:

Ah right, thanks for the help
It is only a company name,
what you should be looking for is CPU benchmark, which use the no. of core, clock speed, and turbo speed as indicator.
Website like Passmark Sofware has a detail list of ranking for all CPU, i hope it helps.
It's the one in the link below. Most of my stuff like Spotify, work and movies etc will be done in a browser and I'll have the odd thing (such as Roblox) that won't be done in the browser.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2CS25EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

if you have any other suggestions I'm also open to them. Thanks

If your mainly a browser user - then I'd go for a Chromebook. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-Convertible-Laptop-XE513C24-K01US/dp/B01LZ6XKS6 - is what I have - imported for America. (That link should cost around £330)

It has Desktop Chrome and the benefit of android apps support so you can still play Roblox etc. It's macbook quality at a third of the price running a light operating system that will allow you to do everything you need to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending