The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

posh
I'm automatically considered 'posh' due to my private education. Definitely rather be called that than be called a chav though :tongue:
Original post by sahil19
ALSO I should add I'm not posh; I just use extended vocabulary.

This was me at school. I'm from the north so people often think you're posh if you don't often use slang and use full sentences etc. But, now that I'm at Uni and 80% or so are southerners I always wonder if they think I sound chavvy. I'm not posh at all really and I actually notice the difference in speech when I'm the only northern one in some of my seminars and I feel out of place. :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19
If I was earning £1,000,000 and 500k went to tax then that would be fine. I'll have these views until the day I die. I have friends and relatives that live in Kensington and Fulham they themselves as well as their parents are left wing; so don't say that all people with good jobs vote on the right of the spectrum. Admittedly some of them are right wing as well..

You have friends and family (probably not true) i actually live in that area. And you can ask as many as you want i would say a good 95% of people are right wing, your statement sounds asif we are mostly left wing well that isnt the case.

Also you are saying that now, when it comes to it and you were earning saying 90-100k and 40-45k was in tax you would also understand how labour only really have incentives for the poor. Think to yourself as to why so many people voted the tories, and you will have your answer to every question you will ever ask yourself about this matter.
Reply 64
Original post by TSRFT8
You have friends and family (probably not true) i actually live in that area. And you can ask as many as you want i would say a good 95% of people are right wing, your statement sounds asif we are mostly left wing well that isnt the case.

Also you are saying that now, when it comes to it and you were earning saying 90-100k and 40-45k was in tax you would also understand how labour only really have incentives for the poor. Think to yourself as to why so many people voted the tories, and you will have your answer to every question you will ever ask yourself about this matter.

"(probably not true)" so as well as plucking up figures of tax out of no where you're also calling me a liar. LOL.
Original post by sahil19
I get called posh a lot; mostly by chavs. Discuss; which one would you rather be?

what would you rather be called? I bet being called posh makes you feel just a bit better than it would being called a chav.. dunno
Reply 66
Original post by Ivann505
what would you rather be called? I bet being called posh makes you feel just a bit better than it would being called a chav.. dunno

I think they're both pretty bad tbf. Who wants to be seen as an anti-social loutish dick or an arrogant self -righteous cock?
Original post by sahil19
I think they're both pretty bad tbf. Who wants to be seen as an anti-social loutish dick or an arrogant self -righteous cock?

Call me posh any day of the week :wink:
"Chav" is a word that stereotypes and dehumanises working class people. There is this bland notion that once someone lives in a council estate they are immune to intellect and civilisation. It's incredibly backward. Just because someone is born into poverty it doesn't mean they are automatically a "bad" "scummy" degenerate. These are just ignorant presumptions.
Original post by Alice__90
This whole thread is just gross. Everyone just judging other people. How about we stop with the labelling? :frown:

Working class children are conditioned, from a young age, to feel ashamed about their involuntary circumstances. They suffer by the lack of access to education and are never given the opportunity to prove themselves as they are consistently stereotyped as "stupid' and " primitive". Why? Because they happen to live in the wrong postcode; they dress to what they can afford. But that's what people just see: tracksuit bottoms and "Hackney" on the address. Then we judge them for not becoming something.
A chav, obviously.
Original post by Alice__90
This whole thread is just gross. Everyone just judging other people. How about we stop with the labelling? :frown:

Aw look, another social justice warrior.
Original post by chuckymeg
Aw look, another social justice warrior.
Nothing wrong with that
Posh, obviously. Not all posh people are snobs (though unfortunately a lot are). And who would choose degeneracy over all the privileges which come with being posh?
Would probably choose to be somewhere in the middle. Basically a NORMAL person.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Posh, obviously. Not all posh people are snobs (though unfortunately a lot are). And who would choose degeneracy over all the privileges which come with being posh?

Working class = degenerate. Stupidest logic I've ever heard
Original post by pallyxox
Working class = degenerate. Stupidest logic I've ever heard

Working class = chav? flawed logic there
not all working class people are chavs you know. we're talking about whether we'd want to be a chav, not just working class.
Working class = chav? flawed logic there
not all working class people are chavs you know. we're talking about whether we'd want to be a chav, not just working class.

Just out of simple interest, what would most of you define as a "chav"
Original post by pallyxox
Just out of simple interest, what would most of you define as a "chav"

kids who stand outside of mcdonalds in tracksuits and shout "What r u lookin at" when anyone walks past, sometimes accompanied by ethnic slurs. don't have any care for education or bettering themselves. i personally am not friends with any chavs, but i have many working class friends, because you know, they aren't the same thing. i would say staying in school long enough to finish a levels probably already disqualifies one from being a chav.
kids who stand outside of mcdonalds in tracksuits and shout "What r u lookin at" when anyone walks past, sometimes accompanied by ethnic slurs. don't have any care for education or bettering themselves. i personally am not friends with any chavs, but i have many working class friends, because you know, they aren't the same thing. i would say staying in school long enough to finish a levels probably already disqualifies one from being a chav.

You say not all working class people are chavs but that just means in order to fit into that threshold to be a chav- you have to be working class, that's where I'm confused. So every single member of middle class that's has ever been has stayed in school till 18, cared about their education and believed in ethnic harmony

Latest

Trending

Trending