The Student Room Group

The Grammarly adverts on YouTube are so annoying.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigYoSpeck
Pfft! I use a semicolon at the end of every statement. Otherwise, my programs won't compile;

Nice one
Use uBlock Origin extention and disable the Adblock. (Had the same problem)
ironic that most of the ads on this thread are for grammarly
Original post by Glassapple
You started a sentence with a connective; Grammarly clearly isn't that helpful to you. You should know when to use to/too/two, it's basic knowledge.

You capitalised after a semi-colon; maybe you should consider Grammarly :P

JK. I'm here because the Grammarly adverts are annoying the absolute hell out of me. Wanted somewhere to vent.

IT'S JUST SPELLCHECK. IT'S BEEN DONE. GET A REAL JOB.
Original post by jjwhiteUK
You capitalised after a semi-colon; maybe you should consider Grammarly :P

JK. I'm here because the Grammarly adverts are annoying the absolute hell out of me. Wanted somewhere to vent.

IT'S JUST SPELLCHECK. IT'S BEEN DONE. GET A REAL JOB.

Grammarly is the name of the the company, it's a proper noun and should always be capitalised whether after a semicolon or not. I don't need Grammarly's services at all as I'm correct; it's you who's in the wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
There's a particularly horrible Grammarly ad with a fast clicking noise running through it.Forget the skip ad button, I hit the mute button.
the adverts are annoying but its such a reach to say just teach urself?? it does teach you by pointing out ur mistakes! how can u fix something if u cant identify what needs fixing
the Wix advert makes me legitemily angry
There are two issues here - the utility (or not) of Grammarly and the annoyance due to the ads. Both are subjective; whereas I don't use it, I can see how some people would find Grammarly useful. I do agree, however, that the ads are extremely irritating, both in style and content. The frequency and duration of the ads is also annoying and, if anything, I am put off using the product by them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by username2911200
They never stop, it's been the exact same advert for the last hour. I find the whole service ridiculous, why can't people bother to learn correct grammar themselves? There isn't going to be this service when you're doing an oral presentation to your boss, learn how to write properly. It doesn't teach you how to write, it just tells you that something will 'correct' you every time; I'm sure the service will make mistakes.

My current favourite variant of their ad:
* "I've been writing for 30 years, all day long and still can't write correctly. I therefore recommend that you turn over all your data to grammarly and by extension, the security services because only they could afford such a protracted ad campaign in the face of complete lack of interest in consumer land and therefore they deserve your data. Please also visit our sister site, non-sequitur.com"
A semi-colon is generally used at the end of a ''sentence'', especially if you are rounding up a subject and the text is not continually flowing (in which case a comma would suffice) or is going in a slightly different conversational direction. It's a round-up - rarely, if ever, used at the beginning of a sentence. A dash can be used more informally to round up the sentence. It is similar to the colon, which is used to end a sentence with a list.
(edited 5 years ago)
Grammarly is for lazy and illiterate people. It does not teach a person how to write. It simply corrects their stupid mistakes. If you have not understood the basics of grammar and spelling by the time you have left school, there is no hope for you. Throughout my university English and creative writing degree, most of my essays were handwritten under exam conditions. I was not even allowed a dictionary. Coursework simply allows people to copy (cheat) - and write and re-write - until they essentially adapt someone else's hard work to suit their own needs. The end product is generally achieved through replication and sometimes having someone else additionally proof the work (lazy on both accounts). We were told never to trust spell check and I feel the same way about Grammarly. Nobody would directly plagiarize another work without prior knowledge, although they might be subconsciously influenced by an idea, which is not the same as plagiarizing someone's work. In this instance the person is not copying blocks of text. I agree with the post above: Grammarly is useful when considering the academically challenged - and, of course, lazy writers. Learn to read and write - and spell! Don't give your money to Grammarly.
You started a sentence with a connective; Grammarly clearly isn't that helpful to you. You should know when to use to/too/two, it's basic knowledge.
''There is a widespread belief—one with no historical or grammatical foundation—that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction [or a connective] such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions.'' It depends on a person's individual writing style. Although rarely used in formal writing (their use is not recommended or approved), connectives and conjunctions are often used in fiction. ''And'' as far as internet forums are concerned (where people are expected to write in an informal and conversational style), who really cares?
(edited 5 years ago)
This is funny because theres a Grammarly on this page, and I just came from a Grammarly advert on a youtube video. I admit it gets annoying haha
I heard Gramarly advertisement so much that I am fully saturated, but the side effect is that I will never ever buy or use Gramarly. These people should learn when
But I LIKE starting sentences with a connective. Or, as we used to call them, conjunctions.
And don't get me started on those smug gits who introduce the equally annoying Wix ads.
(edited 5 years ago)
i know the feeling especially the asian guy. I woose Gwamawee. Cant even say it right
Even if I could use Grammarly and Wix, and needed such products, and they were as good as they claim to be, their adverts are so smug, condescending in nature (how dare you lecture me as if I were a child) and annoying that I would not take them them now if the companies paid me to use them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 38
I use a semicolon in the first paragraph of every assessment and formal piece of writing; it shows the examiner straightaway you know what you're doing.

I also remember learning this- it was very useful for my year 6 exams
As im typing this grammarly is advertising and it does not work i tried this on word and it does nothing absolutely nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending