The Student Room Group

I feel old even though I'm 18

Honestly, this is the dumbest thread ever BUT IM SERIOUS. My birthday is in 2 days and I'm going to be 18. I mean, obviously I do understand that 18 is YOUNG, compared to like 30 or something, but turning 18 makes me feel like so many things are limited for me right now. All the fun and stuff. What makes me feel even older is that our school-system SUCKS. Not even kidding. I'm still a junior in hs,but heck, if I lived in the US I'd be in college right now. I don't want to finish uni when I'm like 23/24. Basically, how the heck do I make this stupid thing of "feeling old" go away?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A junior in high school? Where do you live?
Reply 2
Latvia .. :/
Original post by DrawTheLine
A junior in high school? Where do you live?
Original post by diidadee
Latvia .. :/

Oh, okay makes sense now. Why are things so limited in Latvia when you turn 18? What can't you do?
Reply 4
Oh, okay makes sense now. Why are things so limited in Latvia when you turn 18? What can't you do?

I don't know, this country is just grey. Full of seniors who have lived through the soviet system and expect you to find a uni right after high school, then find a job and live your life as typical middle class person until you die. I swear, every other country on this planet is more fun than Latvia. There's nothing fun here. All the young-adults have already moved away to another country. When you're a kid, you don't need a lot to be entertained, but once you grow up you realize how small and boring the country is that you're living in.
I don't know, this country is just grey. Full of seniors who have lived through the soviet system and expect you to find a uni right after high school, then find a job and live your life as typical middle class person until you die. I swear, every other country on this planet is more fun than Latvia. There's nothing fun here. All the young-adults have already moved away to another country. When you're a kid, you don't need a lot to be entertained, but once you grow up you realize how small and boring the country is that you're living in.

Oh so there's no laws restricting you? Also, you don't have to just accept that. You can be more positive and enjoy the little things that you do have, make the best out of it instead of only seeing the negatives.
Reply 6
Nope. And I guess I should do that, but it's easier said than done. Thanks for the advice though!
Oh so there's no laws restricting you? Also, you don't have to just accept that. You can be more positive and enjoy the little things that you do have, make the best out of it instead of only seeing the negatives.
Nope. And I guess I should do that, but it's easier said than done. Thanks for the advice though!

Maybe try making small changes first to slowly change your perspective. Maybe making a list of all the good things that happened each day then you can see that it's actually not that bad. Start small to make big changes!
Honestly, this is the dumbest thread ever BUT IM SERIOUS. My birthday is in 2 days and I'm going to be 18. I mean, obviously I do understand that 18 is YOUNG, compared to like 30 or something, but turning 18 makes me feel like so many things are limited for me right now. All the fun and stuff. What makes me feel even older is that our school-system SUCKS. Not even kidding. I'm still a junior in hs,but heck, if I lived in the US I'd be in college right now. I don't want to finish uni when I'm like 23/24. Basically, how the heck do I make this stupid thing of "feeling old" go away?

I’m 16 and year 7s call me “Miss”.
Reply 9
Latvia sounds like such a peace full country to me...few people who are all pretty...best sex ratio in the world, no rat race. you are lucky. I am 18 too and i am so stuck because i always worry about my future all the time as i will be in college this year.I wish i was latvian *sigh*
What is a Latvian doing on a British student forum room?:mute:
Reply 11
Original post by MoMo was A PIMP
What is a Latvian doing on a British student forum room?:mute:

Hmm, this forum caugh my attention because I noticed that people on here are quite supportive and around my age, so I thought 'why not ask for some advice' ?
Plus, I have plans to move to UK after finishing high school, sooooo, I may not be an official British student YET, but maybe soon?
Reply 12
Original post by RIya002
Latvia sounds like such a peace full country to me...few people who are all pretty...best sex ratio in the world, no rat race. you are lucky. I am 18 too and i am so stuck because i always worry about my future all the time as i will be in college this year.I wish i was latvian *sigh*

Aw, you're so nice! I mean, everyone has different goals and desires, some want peace and some want something completely opposite. No one is keeping you away from coming to Latvia, so you're always welcome here.
Reply 13
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I’m 16 and year 7s call me “Miss”.

Lool, I mean, you don't take them seriously do you? They're just litte trolls.
Lool, I mean, you don't take them seriously do you? They're just litte trolls.

😂😂😂
I mean I got called “miss” like 3 times because I apparently dress like a teaching assistant, and I guess its because I wear glasses and I have an ID. 😂
Hmm, this forum caugh my attention because I noticed that people on here are quite supportive and around my age, so I thought 'why not ask for some advice' ?
Plus, I have plans to move to UK after finishing high school, sooooo, I may not be an official British student YET, but maybe soon?

Nah, it's a hell hole out here!

I would aviod at all costs.

So proceed at your own peril!

Don't say I never warned you!
If you were in the UK you'd be leaving college in a couple of months.
Reply 17
Original post by MoMo was A PIMP
Nah, it's a hell hole out here!

I would aviod at all costs.

So proceed at your own peril!

Don't say I never warned you!

I'll keep your warning in mind, but I'm sure it's not THAT bad there.
Reply 18
Original post by TheAlchemistress
😂😂😂
I mean I got called “miss” like 3 times because I apparently dress like a teaching assistant, and I guess its because I wear glasses and I have an ID. 😂

Lmaoo, well as long as you're not really worried and sad about them calling you "miss" it's kinda fun :bigsmile:
Lmaoo, well as long as you're not really worried and sad about them calling you "miss" it's kinda fun :bigsmile:

I feel old 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending