The Student Room Group

Triple science gsce

Hi. So recently ive been searching fourms about triple science for gcses. I have came across quite a few forums that have said the teacher has to pick you. I really want to do it and I'm pretty much one of the best in my class. Do i need to be picked or not? I'm pretty sure my exam board is edexcel but I don't think it makes a difference

Scroll to see replies

It is different in different schools, in my schools like mine it is compulsory. On some, only the lower sets do it.
Original post by 32894075890234
It is different in different schools, in my schools like mine it is compulsory. On some, only the lower sets do it.

The lower sets do triple science? I thought it was harder. In my school it definitely isn't compulsory.
Reply 3
It is down to the school. At some everyone does it (generally grammar schools), at others it counts as one of your GCSE options and at others you are offered the opportunity to do it if you're good enough relatively far down the course.
You're best option is to just ask your school so you find out if it is picked, optional or compulsory. Then express an interest into doing it. If you like science, chances are you are good enough to be picked, most schools pick a lot of people I think. If they are not sure for picking you (which I doubt) just ask to do it, even if you have to prove your capability with a mock science test or something.
Good luck and I hope you get to do it :smile:
Original post by Toffeeandmow
The lower sets do triple science? I thought it was harder. In my school it definitely isn't compulsory.

Sorry, I meant to say that the lower sets do double higher while the higher sets do triple.

Triple Science is really *harder* its just more content, not more depth
Original post by Compost
It is down to the school. At some everyone does it (generally grammar schools), at others it counts as one of your GCSE options and at others you are offered the opportunity to do it if you're good enough relatively far down the course.

Thanks. I get it now 😀 I think it's one of our options we pick but I wasn't sure so I asked. Thanks again!
in my school it was compulsory to do all 3 sciences but the lower sets did foundation papers and the higher sets did higher papers. i ended up getting a C in chem a B in physics and an A in bio. i went to a standard goverment funded school for reference. We also all did a core science exam in year 10 and then all did An additional science exam in year 11 along with coursework (which i got A* on). i'd say just ask, if you think you are capable i dont see why they would refuse.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by charlvioletta
in my school it was compulsory to do all 3 sciences but the lower sets did foundation papers and the higher sets did higher papers. i ended up getting a C in chem a B in physics and an A in bio. i went to a standard goverment funded school for reference. We also all did a core science exam in year 10 and then all did An additional science exam in year 11 along with coursework (which i got A* on). i'd say just ask, if you think you are capable i dont see why they would refuse.

I go to an academy.

Do all school have the triple science option? I really want to move schools if my school doesn't because I need science a levels to become a veterinary surgeon
i moved school for sixth form and am in year 13 at an academy now, and from what my friends have said only the 'clever people' got to do triple which was a strange concept to me because everyone at my old school did it. honestly it sounds like the schools holding you back, mine did a simular thing, they were going to put me on the foundation papers where the highest grade you could get on each was a C, so it took my mom to go in and tell them im willing to work and capable of getting decent grades, which i did. i'd say moving schools may be stress that you dont need at an already stressful time so try get your parents to talk to them (some reason they dont seem to listen to kids even if they are sure of themselves). i'm sure they will make arrangements to do triple and im pretty sure all schools do at least have the option to do triple science.
Original post by charlvioletta
i moved school for sixth form and am in year 13 at an academy now, and from what my friends have said only the 'clever people' got to do triple which was a strange concept to me because everyone at my old school did it. honestly it sounds like the schools holding you back, mine did a simular thing, they were going to put me on the foundation papers where the highest grade you could get on each was a C, so it took my mom to go in and tell them im willing to work and capable of getting decent grades, which i did. i'd say moving schools may be stress that you dont need at an already stressful time so try get your parents to talk to them (some reason they dont seem to listen to kids even if they are sure of themselves). i'm sure they will make arrangements to do triple and im pretty sure all schools do at least have the option to do triple science.

Tysm 👌👌
Tysm 👌👌

You don't need triple science to do A-Level science, it's just easier if you have triple
Original post by Bill Nye
You don't need triple science to do A-Level science, it's just easier if you have triple

Haha that's why I want it. I feel like I won't get picked because my teacher is a snob who doesn't care about his students.
Haha that's why I want it. I feel like I won't get picked because my teacher is a snob who doesn't care about his students.

In my school you choose if you do triple or not
In my school you choose if you do triple or not

I don't know yet but I hope we can choose and we don't get picked 🤔
I don't know yet but I hope we can choose and we don't get picked 🤔

In most schools either the top sets do it OR only the top sets can choose it OR anyone can choose it (obviously as long as the teacher thinks you can do it i.e. people in bottom set likely wouldn't be able to pick it)
anyways if you are as good as you say at science then they will pick you
Hi,
In our school, we picked whether or not we do triple science. But we had pathways, GCSE and Ebacc students got given the choice of triple science but Core and progress students didn't get the option of triple science they had to do double. As for the GCSE and Ebacc students, the teachers made the final decision about whether you get picked to do it or not.

But I'm sure from what you've said, you're more than likely to get picked for it especially if you're grade 4 or above. :smile:
In most schools either the top sets do it OR only the top sets can choose it OR anyone can choose it (obviously as long as the teacher thinks you can do it i.e. people in bottom set likely wouldn't be able to pick it)

There is 4sets in my school and I'm in set 2 ( 4 is worst 1 is best) I think I could use moving up thigh because I'm the only one who actually bothers. It's ridiculous
Original post by Cod3tte
Hi,
In our school, we picked whether or not we do triple science. But we had pathways, GCSE and Ebacc students got given the choice of triple science but Core and progress students didn't get the option of triple science they had to do double. As for the GCSE and Ebacc students, the teachers made the final decision about whether you get picked to do it or not.

But I'm sure from what you've said, you're more than likely to get picked for it especially if you're grade 4 or above. :smile:

What do you mean grade 4 and above? In gcses? I am picking them this month and I'm the only one who bothers in the class so I think I need to be picked

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending