The Student Room Group

moving out and far away

im a 15 year old aussie and im looking at moving to london or around london with our parents consent of corse with my best friend at the end of next year or early june july ill be 16 at that time but the systems are so much different over there and its so far from home but im ready to take this big step as its time for me to follow my dreams i have no idea what to do or if its the right choice i lay awake at night second guessing myself and saying dont go dont go its to far you'll never make it i dont know if it the right choice of if id ever get a apartment i quit school and my best friend is still in so idk what wed ever do
You'd probably have a hard time finding somewhere to live. Most people over here don't employ under 17s for much money, and your chances of getting rent at that age is low (some places don't allow under 18s to rent unless they have a document signed by their guardian saying they allow it).
Going to London will be so expensive to live in, especially without a steady income.

I don't know why you're leaving, and it isn't my place to know, so good luck, and plan EVERYTHING, e.g. you quit school and will have minimum qualifications, nowadays you need at least a C in English and maths at GCSE/equivalent to work in decent job, so how are you going to get a steady decent paying job in London.

But if you plan this out and work it out and get a way to do it, go for it. If it's to follow your dreams, go for it, just be as prepared as you can, you can't just get up and move to another country, you need visas (the UK has a working visa age restriction of 18)
Wait until you're 18 and it'll be easier. Save up money and do your research thoroughly.
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Wait until you're 18 and it'll be easier. Save up money and do your research thoroughly.

i have the money and ive done a ton of research my dad was looking at moving out there when i was younger but he got older and side tracked with work ive done so much rescreach and my mum wants me out before im 18
Reply 4
Original post by MorgzC
You'd probably have a hard time finding somewhere to live. Most people over here don't employ under 17s for much money, and your chances of getting rent at that age is low (some places don't allow under 18s to rent unless they have a document signed by their guardian saying they allow it).
Going to London will be so expensive to live in, especially without a steady income.

I don't know why you're leaving, and it isn't my place to know, so good luck, and plan EVERYTHING, e.g. you quit school and will have minimum qualifications, nowadays you need at least a C in English and maths at GCSE/equivalent to work in decent job, so how are you going to get a steady decent paying job in London.

But if you plan this out and work it out and get a way to do it, go for it. If it's to follow your dreams, go for it, just be as prepared as you can, you can't just get up and move to another country, you need visas (the UK has a working visa age restriction of 18)

i have the money to move out there and i will not be working really and if i do it will be on a family business if i do and my parents are letting do anything as long as its what i want and where safe and arent on the street and i have a b in enghlish for year 7 witch is the last year i atteneded school and ive been planning this for over a year thanks for the helpfull info
Reply 5
London is very expensive to live in, and you're just gonna be 16. I'd say you wait until 18 or if anything, save loads of money. Plus, hiring 16-18 might be difficult as work places don't usually hire school leavers - unless you opt for fast food places.

I guess you haven't realised the struggles of working and living here which is why you want to come here and experience it for yourself. But it's nothing easy like a 15 yr old such as yourself is thinking. And just getting a B won't guarantee you anything at all here.
Reply 6
What are you wanting to do in London? You said to follow your dreams, but without telling us what those are we can’t really be of help.

Have you looked into living expenses? How much it costs to rent and pay other bills?
Reply 7
Original post by Nana_
London is very expensive to live in, and you're just gonna be 16. I'd say you wait until 18 or if anything, save loads of money. Plus, hiring 16-18 might be difficult as work places don't usually hire school leavers - unless you opt for fast food places.

I guess you haven't realised the struggles of working and living here which is why you want to come here and experience it for yourself. But it's nothing easy like a 15 yr old such as yourself is thinking. And just getting a B won't guarantee you anything at all here.

i know its expensive ive done the rescreach and ive done a ton of rescreaching and i know and ive worked in fast food before so ill do it if i need to
Reply 8
Original post by cat_mac
What are you wanting to do in London? You said to follow your dreams, but without telling us what those are we can’t really be of help.

Have you looked into living expenses? How much it costs to rent and pay other bills?

visual arts photgraphy and stuff like that because thats what i love doing and im also doing youtube and there just more choices and optuneites
Reply 9
Original post by allicurious
visual arts photgraphy and stuff like that because thats what i love doing and im also doing youtube and there just more choices and optuneites

Have you looking into photography courses in London? Even short term ones could give you some good connections and help getting started working in the UK.

Do you have a backup plan? E.g. your parents buying you a ticket to go back home if something goes wrong? Ideally you’d wait until you’re 18 but you sound very determined and like you’ve thought this through, if you go through with it just make sure you have something or someone to fall back on. Fingers crossed you don’t need it and have an amazing time 🤞🏼
Original post by cat_mac
Have you looking into photography courses in London? Even short term ones could give you some good connections and help getting started working in the UK.

Do you have a backup plan? E.g. your parents buying you a ticket to go back home if something goes wrong? Ideally you’d wait until you’re 18 but you sound very determined and like you’ve thought this through, if you go through with it just make sure you have something or someone to fall back on. Fingers crossed you don’t need it and have an amazing time 🤞🏼

yes i have looked in to about 20 photgraphy and visual arts coruses and yes i have thought about if i need to go home but most likey not and my dad says if im determand and im not going to shut up and not back out hed help me get a aparment and stuff for the first year till its steady if i need it but i think im just going to go wiht the plan i have and thanks for the info
Original post by allicurious
yes i have looked in to about 20 photgraphy and visual arts coruses and yes i have thought about if i need to go home but most likey not and my dad says if im determand and im not going to shut up and not back out hed help me get a aparment and stuff for the first year till its steady if i need it but i think im just going to go wiht the plan i have and thanks for the info

I hope you don't think I'm being picky but if you want to get a good job etc in London I suggest taking a few extra English lessons to help you with your spelling, punctuation and grammar, especially if you need to do exams or anything later on. It'll give you a better chance if you can write well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending