The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

MSc Occupational Therapy January 2017

I'm going to be starting the MSc in OT pre reg in January and the wait between now and then feels like forever, so in the meantime I thought I would reach out and see if any of my fellow students are around. I figured this might help pass the time. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peaky1990
I'm going to be starting the MSc in OT pre reg in January and the wait between now and then feels like forever, so in the meantime I thought I would reach out and see if any of my fellow students are around. I figured this might help pass the time. :smile:

Hello Peaky!

Technically not a student but I thought I'd say hey and hope you're looking forward to the course. Have you got anything fun planned in before then? Late summer holidays?

Laura
(Official Hallam rep)
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi laura!
Thanks for replying. I'm off on holiday this week. Then when I'm back just working lots to save before the course starts. As well I've just signed up for a few online courses to get my academic juices flowing again.
Hi laura!
Thanks for replying. I'm off on holiday this week. Then when I'm back just working lots to save before the course starts. As well I've just signed up for a few online courses to get my academic juices flowing again.

That's a great idea. Will you be moving to Sheffield? Do you know much about the city?

Thanks,
Laura
Reply 4
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
That's a great idea. Will you be moving to Sheffield? Do you know much about the city? V

Thanks,
Laura

My brother actually lives there and is a lecturer at sheffield Hallam. So i have a fairly good guage of the city. I wont be moving. I live about an hour away and plan to commute.
My brother actually lives there and is a lecturer at sheffield Hallam. So i have a fairly good guage of the city. I wont be moving. I live about an hour away and plan to commute.

Oh great, that's handy! If you have any questions, let me know :smile:
Hello, I am looking to apply for msc in occupational therapy 2019 and was wondering how you are getting on with the course? Are there many people with unrelated degrees? My undergraduate degree was in English Studies and I am a bit concerned it won't be considered relevant enough to the field.
Reply 7
Original post by hannah1994xx
Hello, I am looking to apply for msc in occupational therapy 2019 and was wondering how you are getting on with the course? Are there many people with unrelated degrees? My undergraduate degree was in English Studies and I am a bit concerned it won't be considered relevany t enough to the field.

Hi I'm looking to apply too and getting my head around the complexities of it all. I think some experience of care work would be really useful, but it might pay to check with the departments. My undergrad is in Pyschology so it's slightly different for me, but I'm old as dirt so I face other issues lol.
Hello, I am looking to apply for msc in occupational therapy 2019 and was wondering how you are getting on with the course? Are there many people with unrelated degrees? My undergraduate degree was in English Studies and I am a bit concerned it won't be considered relevant enough to the field.

Hey,

In terms of your application, it might make you feel better to know that somebody on my English language undergraduate course has been excepted for a Masters in Developmental Psychology at Hallam! A different course, but shows that you don't necessarily need to have background in your course to do it.

As kazzles said, you should try to get some experience in any form of care work. The uni will be really interested in finding out about that, as they'll want to know that you understand what it takes to study and work in this area. With not having experienced a course like this, you'll need to be sure to show your passion for the course/line of work and your understanding of what they entail.

It's definitely worth applying to though, in my opinion! Make the most of the transferable skills and knowledge you've gained from your English course and any experience you have.

Good luck!

Ellie
Reply 9
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey,

In terms of your application, it might make you feel better to know that somebody on my English language undergraduate course has been excepted for a Masters in Developmental Psychology at Hallam! A different course, but shows that you don't necessarily need to have background in your course to do it.

As kazzles said, you should try to get some experience in any form of care work. The uni will be really interested in finding out about that, as they'll want to know that you understand what it takes to study and work in this area. With not having experienced a course like this, you'll need to be sure to show your passion for the course/line of work and your understanding of what they entail.

It's definitely worth applying to though, in my opinion! Make the most of the transferable skills and knowledge you've gained from your English course and any experience you have.

Good luck!

Ellie

I'm so scared reading how hard it seems to get in. I'm hoping that my life experience will count for something!
Original post by kazzles
I'm so scared reading how hard it seems to get in. I'm hoping that my life experience will count for something!

I'm certain it will!

Have you been to an open day at all? It might help you to come and see what the course is like, as well as having the chance to speak to lecturers and possibly some of the admissions team. I know that would be a lot more helpful to me than trying to figure it out online! There's one on the 28th that you can book here if you're able to come.
Reply 11
Original post by SHUGURU
I'm certain it will!

Have you been to an open day at all? It might help you to come and see what the course is like, as well as having the chance to speak to lecturers and possibly some of the admissions team. I know that would be a lot more helpful to me than trying to figure it out online! There's one on the 28th that you can book here if you're able to come.

That's a working day isn't it? I'm not sure I can make it.... But I am keen. I'd like to hear more about the course at studying at Sheffield
Original post by kazzles
That's a working day isn't it? I'm not sure I can make it.... But I am keen. I'd like to hear more about the course at studying at Sheffield

Yeah it is, from 4-7pm. That's a shame - hopefully there'll be one in the future that you can make!
Reply 13
Original post by SHUGURU
Yeah it is, from 4-7pm. That's a shame - hopefully there'll be one in the future that you can make!

Definitely, I would love to come up. with a bit more notice I can definitely do it.
Original post by kazzles
Definitely, I would love to come up. with a bit more notice I can definitely do it.

We will have another one in May @kazzles if you still wanted to come, I cannot confirm the dates but it will be towards the end of the month!

Reanne
Reply 15
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
We will have another one in May @kazzles if you still wanted to come, I cannot confirm the dates but it will be towards the end of the month!

Reanne

Great! Can I get on a mailing list?
Original post by kazzles
Great! Can I get on a mailing list?

If you fill out a form on here, you can request to be put on the mailing list for the next Postgraduate open day!

Also, if you are wanting any prep for the interview/course you can book on a session that supports application and selection events here.

Reanne
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey,

Good luck!

Ellie

Thank you! That is really helpful and reassuring for me! I always thought I would go into teaching but after volunteering at a school for children with additional needs I realised how much I love working with people with disabilities and feel that Occupational Therapy is so much more suited to my interests and my personality as an individual.
I just went for an interview for a Support Worker job so, all going well with references, I should have a position there which I hope will be valuable experience for me!

Could you give me any more information regarding some of the backgrounds/experience of the other students on the OT course? And what sort of things in terms of skills/knowledge/experience the OT department are looking for in a potential student?
Applications are in May for GCU - closing in quickly now so I want to make sure I am prepared the best I can be! :smile:

Thanks,

H
Original post by kazzles
Hi I'm looking to apply too and getting my head around the complexities of it all. I think some experience of care work would be really useful, but it might pay to check with the departments. My undergrad is in Pyschology so it's slightly different for me, but I'm old as dirt so I face other issues lol.

Hi Kazzles,

Thank you for your reply! Yeah, I just interviewed for the position of Support Worker so, all going well with references, I should be able to start that soon which I am really hoping will help in terms of experience. Don't be silly haha! Wiser is more like it, I am sure you have a wealth of skills and experience that I won't have and psychology is great! I feel like that filters so well into so many areas especially in terms of health care so I am sure you will get in no problem! There was an update on Glasgow Caledonian University's website saying they will be having a postgraduate open day on Tuesday 5th June 2018 if this is helpful to you at all? Might be good to get the chance to meet and speak with lecturers in the department. :smile:
Reply 19
Hi Kazzles,

Thank you for your reply! Yeah, I just interviewed for the position of Support Worker so, all going well with references, I should be able to start that soon which I am really hoping will help in terms of experience. Don't be silly haha! Wiser is more like it, I am sure you have a wealth of skills and experience that I won't have and psychology is great! I feel like that filters so well into so many areas especially in terms of health care so I am sure you will get in no problem! There was an update on Glasgow Caledonian University's website saying they will be having a postgraduate open day on Tuesday 5th June 2018 if this is helpful to you at all? Might be good to get the chance to meet and speak with lecturers in the department. :smile:

Oh that's good to know. I need to plot of which courses are where and their open days so I can keep track of it. I suspect I'll make decisions around funding as well, really hoping that changes. I actually enrolled in a post graduate certificate through at OT school in NZ and am doing research methods this semester. I'm hoping it'll bring me up to speed faster and help an application. It's already highlighting to me that research is needed in OT. Where are you preferring to study at the moment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending