The Student Room Group

General help + A levels/Acess course

Okay so let me give you a brief run down of my history so far. Left the country at the end of year 8 because of my dad's job. Moved quite a number of times over the years and ended up graduating highschool/secondary school at 19 from a 3rd world country. Tried to get into uni here but was told in the most polite way that my certificate is worth sh*t. Looked abroad for uni and got onto a dentistry course for 2 years before dropping out for various reasons. Afterwards i've worked in retail for about a year.
I've had time to think things through and i'm ready to pursue a degree in computer science. I'm currently doing 5 GCSE's on my own and intend to do either an Access course or A levels starting this september. I'm slightly inclined to do A levels because i've heard that the access course's maths content doesn't come close to that of a levels. What are your thoughts and suggestions on this?
Also i read somewhere that if this is your first time doing a level 3 course it's free? Can anyone show me da way? Thx u guys!
Hey,

Check out unis that interest you to confirm the requirements as some unis do not require an A level maths for compsci. If you are not sure, give the admissions office a call and they should be able to confirm requirements there and then.

In respect of the access course you choose, try to get either an access to computing(or whatever it is called?) or a course with a maths component.

I did an access to science course and got accepted to uni to study compsci without holding an A level in maths.

You are correct about the funding, but it is a loan for the course fee only and it is repayable, however, if you go on to complete a uni course, it is written off.
You can get more info here: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan. The info about the write off is on the bottom of the page here: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/repayments

If you have any other questions, I will answer them if I can.

gl!
Reply 2
Original post by R3negade
Hey,

Check out unis that interest you to confirm the requirements as some unis do not require an A level maths for compsci. If you are not sure, give the admissions office a call and they should be able to confirm requirements there and then.

In respect of the access course you choose, try to get either an access to computing(or whatever it is called?) or a course with a maths component.

I did an access to science course and got accepted to uni to study compsci without holding an A level in maths.

You are correct about the funding, but it is a loan for the course fee only and it is repayable, however, if you go on to complete a uni course, it is written off.
You can get more info here: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan. The info about the write off is on the bottom of the page here: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/repayments

If you have any other questions, I will answer them if I can.

gl!

Thx for the very useful info! Could you perhaps tell me which uni accepted you so i could check the requirements?
im currently 2nd year a level maths.
I'm going to do a maths degree with the open university. you don't need any previous qualifications. the first year is all GCSE and a level work to get you to the same standard as every one else.

you can self teach like myself. YouTube has the full courses for GCSE and a level on there.
I'd suggest an access course over A levels IF the universities you want to go to accept it (and most should). Access courses take a year less to do and if they can get you to the same spot, then there's no reason not to eh?
Reply 5
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
I'd suggest an access course over A levels IF the universities you want to go to accept it (and most should). Access courses take a year less to do and if they can get you to the same spot, then there's no reason not to eh?

1yr vs 2yrs hmmm it's obvious which is more appealing but there is no denying that the breadth of knowledge taught on an access course is less than that of a levels which leads me to my question....what if i did an access course alongside maths a level? Would that work or is it a stupid idea??
if you can cope with the workload then why not.
I've looked at the maths access course and it is not just maths but science as well which didn't appeal to me.
I've enjoyed doing the a level (which isn't needed for ou) and if you're not a natural at maths (my enthusiasm outweighs my natural talent) the a level will help you.
Original post by LordFifth
1yr vs 2yrs hmmm it's obvious which is more appealing but there is no denying that the breadth of knowledge taught on an access course is less than that of a levels which leads me to my question....what if i did an access course alongside maths a level? Would that work or is it a stupid idea??

I'm not so sure that's true. A Levels may last longer, but the access course I'm currently doing is MUCH more intense than any A Level I did. The problem with doing both is that you're still waiting 2 years to finish, so at that point you may as well do A Levels and take it all a little slower instead of piling more onto your Access Course.

Why not email a few universities with prospective access courses and see if they'd allow them? A previous user already said they'd gotten onto a CompSci course without a Maths A Level.
Original post by LordFifth
Thx for the very useful info! Could you perhaps tell me which uni accepted you so i could check the requirements?

Sorry for the delay in responding!

I am currently studying Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence @ Kent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending