The Student Room Group

Anyone else PISSED at Elon Musk for literally blasting his TESLA out of this planet?

There so many people out there, hard working people, struggling in life with having to put up with inefficient petrol/diesel powered cars and this guys comes and say I'mma blast my TESLA out of space....

Where is the outrage?

Scroll to see replies

Elon was one of those struggling people. His hard work is why he is in his position. When launching his car into space it was another way to test out his new technology for his space shuttles as he goes own space x. He's just pushing the boundaries of science
I'm not pissed. The rocket needed a test payload and his car is as good as anything. Plus his company is literally making Tesla cars and making cars more environmentally friendly than any other large car manufacturer
Reply 3
Initially I was stoked about it. There is a certain bad-assery in launching a car to space and having all this pop culture references inserted in the whole project... Now I am worried. Space debris is a thing and it is just adding up to it and there is still no way to collect it... maybe some other space geeks with money will start sending their stuff into space too, just for the lols. And then there´s laws. Space has practically no regulations so where are the limits if launching a car with no practical use is ok? Who is going to set the rules and why them? If we are going to take space exploration seriously, sending a car into space isn´t the best thing to do.
Original post by rmutt
Initially I was stoked about it. There is a certain bad-assery in launching a car to space and having all this pop culture references inserted in the whole project... Now I am worried. Space debris is a thing and it is just adding up to it and there is still no way to collect it... maybe some other space geeks with money will start sending their stuff into space too, just for the lols. And then there´s laws. Space has practically no regulations so where are the limits if launching a car with no practical use is ok? Who is going to set the rules and why them? If we are going to take space exploration seriously, sending a car into space isn´t the best thing to do.

The car was a test payload, safer than humans in it's first flight. What would you have used instead?
Reply 5
Original post by Guru Jason
The car was a test payload, safer than humans in it's first flight. What would you have used instead?

A telescope. There are already a lot of them, but hell, better than a car.
Reply 6
Original post by rmutt

They needed a cheap payload, as there was high chance of failure - would Elon rather lose his Tesla or a billion pounds worth of telescope?
Original post by rmutt

Is it? What use would that telescope be? I mean what if you spent millions on a telescope then the rocket blew up on launch. Don't matter if it was a car. And say you get the telescope successfully into space, then what? It still couldn't be used. Plus the PR from sending a car into space get people talking, gets them interested.
Original post by rmutt

The launch was a test flight. Putting an expensive telescope on it would generate huge negative publicity if the rocket failed - they have a good probability of failure as Musk testified.

Putting a Tesla on it is a publicity coup for both companies, Space X is now a household name and Tesla gets the bragging and advertising rights for having successfully launched the first production car into space and escaping earth's gravity.

Tesla got unprecedented positive global advertising coverage for next to no cost. Genius.
Reply 9
Original post by bjt1882
They needed a cheap payload, as there was high chance of failure - would Elon rather lose his Tesla or a billion pounds worth of telescope?

Ok, I understand that. I get it. But why not make it something with some type of meaning? Some new records, new recordings of messages, etc. If you´re sending something into space, why not make it count?
Reply 10
Original post by uberteknik
The launch was a test flight. Putting an expensive telescope on it would generate huge negative publicity if the rocket failed - they have a good probability of failure as Musk testified.

Putting a Tesla on it is a publicity coup for both companies, Space X is now a household name and Tesla gets the bragging and advertising rights for having successfully launched the first production car into space and escaping earth's gravity.

Tesla got unprecedented positive global advertising coverage for next to no cost. Genius.

I won't debate the advertising innovation and success of the whole thing. It even got my grandfather talking about electric cars. But we are talking about space. Do we really want it to become one more medium for private organizations to get some word of mouth?
Original post by rmutt
I won't debate the advertising innovation and success of the whole thing. It even got my grandfather talking about electric cars. But we are talking about space. Do we really want it to become one more medium for private organizations to get some word of mouth?

Private organisations developed mass air transportation and changed the nature of tourism.

Humans have yearned to fly since the cognitive revolution 70,000 years ago. Space is the clichéd final frontier and governments want private companies to innovate and reduce access to space costs. That also reduces the tax burden for big ticket deep space science.

I think it's a fair trade for pushing the boundaries and for humanity to finally leave this planet. Manifest destiny.
Reply 13
Original post by rmutt

This isn't in an earth orbit so space debris isn't really the issue.

But it would have been good to also include some low-cost student experiments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by rmutt
Ok, I understand that. I get it. But why not make it something with some type of meaning? Some new records, new recordings of messages, etc. If you´re sending something into space, why not make it count?

"Made on Earth by humans"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rmutt

They've done that as well. It has an Arch on it, a small quartz disc that can hold 360 terabytes of data.

The car was just for publicity.

https://www.sciencealert.com/spacex-launched-second-secret-payload-designed-last-millions-years-tesla-arch
Think how much free Publicity that got for TESLA?
Original post by rmutt

you looking back after it succeeded and saying 'car in space - what's the point of that?'
but its not certain that it wasn't going to explode - the first flight of Arianne 5 exploded and blew up a multi million dollar science payload that was represented a large part of a lot of scientists and engineers careers.

Musk presumably planned that in the worst case he'd be the ******* who blew up his own car rather than the ******* who blew up millions of research dollars and years of some guys lives.

The result is that we've got a rather useless car in space - but it's giving his other company advertising and has got people who don't normally pay attention to space and rockets talking about space and rockets.
Its his Tesla he can do whatever he wants to do with it. Plus it was only one car that was blasted off into space, a lot of savagery and badassery was involved.
Original post by Doonesbury
This isn't in an earth orbit so space debris isn't really the issue.

But it would have been good to also include some low-cost student experiments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm - he seems quite switched on to student design competitions when it comes to hyperloop

Perhaps he sees more merit in encouraging students to think about that :unsure:

Quick Reply

Latest