The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science - Way behind on content...

I'm really worried for our exams which begin in 3 months (90) days... I'm a grade 8/9 student and we're really behind in science. We have basically finished all of Biology's content, however are very behind in Physics and Chemistry (our respective teachers agree).

Our school messed up the classes and put students in top set (and worryingly, triple science) based on SATs which means we can't work at a fast pace and the lower ability students slow us down.

Many of us higher ability students have complained. But we can't have set changes it's too late.

I'm extremely worried about the exams... Any advice? Will I be able to cram in all the content and be able to revise them? There's also English Literature & Language, History, A2 Religious Studies, which I wanna do well in as well!
'Us higher ability students'

Okay then...
Where are you actually at now? I haven't finished any of my subjects yet.
have you been given a revision guide? work through it at home, making notes and doing the questions.
I’m trying to teach myself chemistry and biology course because my teachers are awful. (Biology teacher is a little...how do I say...odd. And chemistry teacher has a degree in biology) I use the student books and I prefer the oxford aqa approved ones as oppose to cgp as they have much more information and I find tell you exactly what you need. Also in the fact that cgp don’t say aqa approved on the front...
Anothe great place is YouTube! The guy on freesciencelessons is great for revision and for an overview. He tells you what you do and don’t need to memorise for the exam. Maths and science with primrose kitten is great as she does long videos and does a video covering the whole of paper 1&2. I printed out the specs and highlighted everything I know so I know what I need to work on. After all they can’t ask anything not in the spec.

I’m assuming youve done some practice papers? If you haven’t then do them and look at the mark scheme. 9-1 is really specific as I’m sure all your teacher have told you every lesson.
Other than that if you have time and money get s good tutor to cover the rough areas.
I hope the exams go well ! Xx
all the last few topics in science are basically all theory you can teach it to yourself easy if your sooooo high ability you should have taken the insentive to write notes in your own time.....
Original post by entertainmyfaith
have you been given a revision guide? work through it at home, making notes and doing the questions.

Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing, however I'm getting paranoid of the time constraints of 90 days! I've gone so far, but I'm just worried learning the content will leave no time for revision and other stuff like past papers! This is the new specification as well.
Original post by rainbowcat1437
I’m trying to teach myself chemistry and biology course because my teachers are awful. (Biology teacher is a little...how do I say...odd. And chemistry teacher has a degree in biology) I use the student books and I prefer the oxford aqa approved ones as oppose to cgp as they have much more information and I find tell you exactly what you need. Also in the fact that cgp don’t say aqa approved on the front...
Anothe great place is YouTube! The guy on freesciencelessons is great for revision and for an overview. He tells you what you do and don’t need to memorise for the exam. Maths and science with primrose kitten is great as she does long videos and does a video covering the whole of paper 1&2. I printed out the specs and highlighted everything I know so I know what I need to work on. After all they can’t ask anything not in the spec.

I’m assuming youve done some practice papers? If you haven’t then do them and look at the mark scheme. 9-1 is really specific as I’m sure all your teacher have told you every lesson.
Other than that if you have time and money get s good tutor to cover the rough areas.
I hope the exams go well ! Xx

I've started to look at the specification to highlight the key areas and have been using the CGP books provided by school to make notes. I'm also slightly paranoid that the CGP books do not contain as much detail as the official Edexcel textbooks - however I assume that they just removed all the unnecessary jargon and stuff from the original books.
Original post by trill_val
all the last few topics in science are basically all theory you can teach it to yourself easy if your sooooo high ability you should have taken the insentive to write notes in your own time.....

I am! We're trying to learn a 3yr course in 1.5yrs!
Original post by PowerHotmail
Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing, however I'm getting paranoid of the time constraints of 90 days! I've gone so far, but I'm just worried learning the content will leave no time for revision and other stuff like past papers! This is the new specification as well.

you'll have to bear with it, i'm in year 11 as well. just try to learn and understand the content- cgp do some great workbooks with exam style questions for new course; make sure to use them.
Reply 10
Its 9-1, so you definitely won't be able to cram any science exam. You would pass, it's uncertain whether you'd get a grade 8/9.

With your 'higher ability' you should be able to take into account that you are responsible for your GCSE grade, so you might as well start teaching yourself topics you haven't gone over, if your teachers are not able to cover all the content remaining.
Look over the specification, and cover pretty much all of the remaining topics or as many, because it is unlikely predictions will work this year. Good luck.
Yes, it's GCSE science regardless whether or not it's new spec. Some people can learn all 3 from scratch a month before the exam and walk out with a 9 - it's the method of revision that really matters and it's not like it's a challenging course (it can be easily self-taught).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending