The Student Room Group

He used the n word

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Anonymous
And that's the problem, there shouldn't be these 2 wildly different interpretations of exactly the same word. If the n word is a racial slur then what are black people's reasoning for continuing to use the term among themselves? Seems very bizarre (not to mention racist), that a word's very definition changes depending on the skin colour of the person who said it. I personally think that it black people are so offended by non-blacks saying it then they should stop using the term themselves, so that it gradually fades out of existence. And if they don't want to stop using the word then they cannot reasonably expect all non-blacks to stop using it, as words are free property of all.

You need to research (can't be bothered to explain) and understand the reasoning behind the use of the word in today's society by black people. It's much more deeper than you think. Not all black people are offended nor do they even use the word, in the first place and that is the mistake you are making (ironically). It is a small minority that represented through media.
Original post by Zelex
You need to research (can't be bothered to explain) and understand the reasoning behind the use of the word in today's society by black people. It's much more deeper than you think. Not all black people are offended nor do they even use the word, in the first place and that is the mistake you are making (ironically). It is a small minority that represented through media.

Well no because I didn't say all black people (or even the majority) use it. I was talking about those who do and the context is quite irrelevant. It literally makes no sense for the black people who use it to cry about its oppressive origins by white people when they're using it with each other. If it's oppressive then it's oppressive, they're trying to have it both ways by policing people's words and automatically ascribing intentions of words depending on the skin colour of the person saying it.
Original post by INFIGAAR
Accept it, using the n word is fine when used in the context of banter.

Not sure about that..
Original post by Appazap
Like i said if you're not black your opinion on whether black people should or should not use that word is not your business or problem. It would be common decency as a white person to not use that word. I refrain from saying slurs aimed at other different types of people because I have morals. Of course i could say slurs if i wanted to, but I actively choose not to regardless of whether i think it is fine or not.

p.s: people can be discriminatory towards white people but not racist. They created racism.

Why do black people play the victim card so much?

Black people enslaved each other in Africa and black people worked with slave traders.
Slavery was common throughout Africa, with entire tribes becoming enslaved after losing battles. Tribal chieftains often sold their defeated foes to white slave-traders.

White people didn't just kidnap Africans by force on a boat and set sail, they were sold by black slave owners.

So when black people use the "N" among themselves as a term of endearment it is actually hypocrisy at it's finest.

Please do your research before making such ignorant comments.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 84
I guarantee that all of the people telling the OP to not overreact etc. aren’t black and so wouldn’t be affected by use of this word anyway.

If a person feels strongly about a word that for such a long time was used to refer to black people in a derogatory way and still is used in that way today - let them. The OP has every right to be offended. From what I can tell they handled it in a very mature way too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 85
Well no because I didn't say all black people (or even the majority) use it. I was talking about those who do and the context is quite irrelevant. It literally makes no sense for the black people who use it to cry about its oppressive origins by white people when they're using it with each other. If it's oppressive then it's oppressive, they're trying to have it both ways by policing people's words and automatically ascribing intentions of words depending on the skin colour of the person saying it.

As I mentioned earlier, it makes no sense to you because you lack the knowledge surrounding the topic. Hence, why I said you should do more research. Whilst I understand the point you are making, I think you are basing your generalisations off a few experiences. Even the black people that use the n-word don't take offence non-blacks that they are "close to or grew up with" using it in jest etc. I can already think of a few non-black musicians that use the word and there is no backlash against them.

Assuming you are even right, why would this bother you that much when it is a minority that don't represent the entire race. It's akin (whilst an extreme example) to complaining about KKK (who base themselves on Christian values), when we all know they do not represent Christianity. It's pointless.
Hi everyone

I just don’t know how to feel. I’m black and he’s white. We went to watch the black panther movie since it came out today.
He told me he watched the trailer and thought it was like an avatar n**** movie.

I was absolutely speechless and just laughed it off but now I can’t stop thinking about it.
What should I do

stop being a little *****. It's just a word.
Hi everyone

I just don’t know how to feel. I’m black and he’s white. We went to watch the black panther movie since it came out today.
He told me he watched the trailer and thought it was like an avatar n**** movie.

I was absolutely speechless and just laughed it off but now I can’t stop thinking about it.
What should I do

Don't laugh it off.
Two possibilities here:

1. Your friend is an ass and closet racist. Having you for a friend does not really influence that position.

2. Your friend is an ass and wrongly assumes he can use the n word because he has black friends and hears them use it in an ironic or intimate way but is not actually racist.

So you need to address the issue with him and find out which it is then act accordingly.
Original post by INFIGAAR
Accept it, using the n word is fine when used in the context of banter.

Using the N word is definitely not fine used in the context of banter wth
Reply 89
Why can black people only say that word and white/asian people cant? isn’t that racist that white/asian people cant say it ?

Coming from an asian background... don’t want to cause any offence just wondering

This argument is always so dumb, it's not derogatory towards white/asian people so carries no weight behind it towards you.
Original post by T_Ojo10
This argument is always so dumb, it's not derogatory towards white/asian people so carries no weight behind it towards you.

Well actually the Irish were also slaves after 1649 in America even though it was under a forced contract they still suffered more cruelty than any other African slave and went through even harsher treatment.
(edited 6 years ago)
Not OK!
Reply 92
Sis if he said it once he'll say it again. Educate him first and foremost, and then GET OUT!!!!!! They don't call it the sunken place for no reason
Original post by Zelex
As I mentioned earlier, it makes no sense to you because you lack the knowledge surrounding the topic. Hence, why I said you should do more research. Whilst I understand the point you are making, I think you are basing your generalisations off a few experiences. Even the black people that use the n-word don't take offence non-blacks that they are "close to or grew up with" using it in jest etc. I can already think of a few non-black musicians that use the word and there is no backlash against them.

Assuming you are even right, why would this bother you that much when it is a minority that don't represent the entire race. It's akin (whilst an extreme example) to complaining about KKK (who base themselves on Christian values), when we all know they do not represent Christianity. It's pointless.

Er no love. You’re seriously lacking knowledge on both ge subject and the context in which I was making Lyn posts to specific comments on this thread.

But I’m not just speaking about those they grew up with or are close to. The word is still the same, whether it’s used by friends or by strangers. Even stupider that not only race apparently determines whether the word is acceptable, but also your relationship to said person.

Look, I was making a point on principle. It’s clearly bothered you so much that you’ve had to keep replying and you’re not changing my opinion because your understanding is superficial and naive. The word is property of everyone and it’s double standards, hypocritical and bizarre for the black community to try and dictate who can and can’t say it. I don’t accept those faux impositions, simple.
Reply 94
Er no love. You’re seriously lacking knowledge on both ge subject and the context in which I was making Lyn posts to specific comments on this thread.

But I’m not just speaking about those they grew up with or are close to. The word is still the same, whether it’s used by friends or by strangers. Even stupider that not only race apparently determines whether the word is acceptable, but also your relationship to said person.

Look, I was making a point on principle. It’s clearly bothered you so much that you’ve had to keep replying and you’re not changing my opinion because your understanding is superficial and naive. The word is property of everyone and it’s double standards, hypocritical and bizarre for the black community to try and dictate who can and can’t say it. I don’t accept those faux impositions, simple.

Doesn't bother me one bit actually, personally could care less as it doesn't affect my life one bit. My aim is not to change your opinion rather to open your eyes to a different perspective (doesn't mean you have to agree) which you have clearly refused to acknowledge. I don't think you realise how uniformed and bitter you sound. It's quite awkward and embarassing to read.
I've seen a lot of white people try and justify saying the n-word with "its just a word! it means like friend or buddy" but girl the way he said it. He straight up used it to describe black people. This is the biggest red flag I have ever seen in my entire life. He's gotta go.
If you break up with someone over a word, you're pathetic.
Original post by Zelex
Doesn't bother me one bit actually, personally could care less as it doesn't affect my life one bit. My aim is not to change your opinion rather to open your eyes to a different perspective (doesn't mean you have to agree) which you have clearly refused to acknowledge. I don't think you realise how uniformed and bitter you sound. It's quite awkward and embarassing to read.

I understand your perspective, it's simply wrong. You sound very bitter, triggered and upset that I don't accept your distorted, irrelevant view and it's deffo really embarrassing for you, sad.
Come on now, you can't condemn a man for saying Nigel.

In all seriousness, I'm not one to be offended by any particular words myself but still try to provide the courtesy of actually paying attention to my environment and not say things that have high potential to offend whoever I'm speaking to. If he lacks that kind of ability then he's a bit dumb.
Reply 99
I understand your perspective, it's simply wrong. You sound very bitter, triggered and upset that I don't accept your distorted, irrelevant view and it's deffo really embarrassing for you, sad.

Lol...did you miss the part where I openly acknowledged where you are coming from nor did I ever say that the view I explained was mine personally. I was just explaining things from a different perspective. You got all emotional and thought otherwise. Not once did I say that was my perspective. I have never used the n word personally nor do I agree with it's use by any race. I find it funny that you hide behind "anonymous", probably because you lack the confidence to express your opinion openly. That says it all. I've don't anymore time to waste on such a person.

Good luck with your agenda on this thread. Hope you gain what you want out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending