The Student Room Group

ADVICE NEEDED: 17 y.o. solo travel to/in France

I'm really interested in spending some time in France in the Summer, immersing myself in the language and culture in order to improve my understanding of both. I live in England, and I'll be 17 at the time I'm hoping to go over there. I speak the language to a good level (possibly intermediate?) as I'm halfway through my first year of French A Level. I'd like to go by myself - it's easier to meet new people that way. I don't have much money, and want to do this as cheaply as possible. Any ideas? Is it even possible for me to go alone? Where would be the best place to go? Are there any schemes that allow you stay places for free (or close to free). Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more details! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by tarynnnnn
I'm really interested in spending some time in France in the Summer, immersing myself in the language and culture in order to improve my understanding of both. I live in England, and I'll be 17 at the time I'm hoping to go over there. I speak the language to a good level (possibly intermediate?) as I'm halfway through my first year of French A Level. I'd like to go by myself - it's easier to meet new people that way. I don't have much money, and want to do this as cheaply as possible. Any ideas? Is it even possible for me to go alone? Where would be the best place to go? Are there any schemes that allow you stay places for free (or close to free). Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more details! :smile:

This sounds sooo like me. I love meeting new people and want to do it as cheap as possible. But, don't really have the balls to go alone lol. I've been to Nice, its really nice:wink: No but it really is.
Reply 2
Original post by jdddd
This sounds sooo like me. I love meeting new people and want to do it as cheap as possible. But, don't really have the balls to go alone lol. I've been to Nice, its really nice:wink: No but it really is.

Come with me!!
Reply 3
Come with me!!

For real? PM me.
Hi! I've also been considering visiting France alone aged 17! I think France's relatively easy for solo travel as they'll allow underage people in most hotels and stuff! Paris is very nice I think :smile:. I know of a bookstore called Shakespeare and Company, where you can stay for free in exchange for helping out in the shop for a few hours per day (https://shakespeareandcompany.com/51/shakespeare-and-company/56/tumbleweeding), so maybe you could consider that. Other than that I think the south is really nice, like Marseille, Nice, Montpellier, etc. Just depends on what kind of trip you want honestly, but I think the south's a nice combination of culture, nature and beaches so there's something for everyone there really :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by hysterria
Hi! I've also been considering visiting France alone aged 17! I think France's relatively easy for solo travel as they'll allow underage people in most hotels and stuff! Paris is very nice I think :smile:. I know of a bookstore called Shakespeare and Company, where you can stay for free in exchange for helping out in the shop for a few hours per day (https://shakespeareandcompany.com/51/shakespeare-and-company/56/tumbleweeding), so maybe you could consider that. Other than that I think the south is really nice, like Marseille, Nice, Montpellier, etc. Just depends on what kind of trip you want honestly, but I think the south's a nice combination of culture, nature and beaches so there's something for everyone there really :smile:

Thats really cool. France really has a lot of cities to offer something for everyone. Really want to go to Paris.
Reply 6
Original post by hysterria

Thank you so much - it looks great! I've sent them an e-mail. How did you come across the bookstore?
Thank you so much - it looks great! I've sent them an e-mail. How did you come across the bookstore?

I came across it when I was doing some research on solo travel in France :smile:. Let's hope it'll all work out for you! When are you planning on going to France?
Eat as the locals do, stick to public transportation and stay in hostels or even consider Couchsurfing. I'm from the UK also and I travelled to Japan on my own when I was 19 and had the most incredible experience.

I haven't travelled on my own to France before so I can't offer any specific advice there, but let me know if you need any help with travelling in general. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Eat as the locals do, stick to public transportation and stay in hostels or even consider Couchsurfing. I'm from the UK also and I travelled to Japan on my own when I was 19 and had the most incredible experience.

I haven't travelled on my own to France before so I can't offer any specific advice there, but let me know if you need any help with travelling in general. :smile:

I want to couch surf but unsure I'd do it on my own lol
Original post by jdddd
I want to couch surf but unsure I'd do it on my own lol

I haven't either but I really wanted to when I was in Japan - it was really busy at the time. Going solo opens you up to many experiences and it's easier to find a Couchsurfing host if you're on your own too.

The Couchsuring community also offers meet-ups so you can meet like-minded travellers and locals too, so it's worth installing the app if you're in the area and arrange meet-ups with other people. I've also heard Tinder is also a good option for meeting people in other countries too, so I'll also add that to the mix. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Toy Soldiers
I haven't either but I really wanted to when I was in Japan - it was really busy at the time. Going solo opens you up to many experiences and it's easier to find a Couchsurfing host if you're on your own too.

The Couchsuring community also offers meet-ups so you can meet like-minded travellers and locals too, so it's worth installing the app if you're in the area and arrange meet-ups with other people. I've also heard Tinder is also a good option for meeting people in other countries too, so I'll also add that to the mix. :smile:

I don't have the balls:wink: I have the app etc, not confident enough for Tinder, maybe one day lol.
Reply 12
You’d get to meet so many people!! Helpaway looks like a good site for volunteering in France in return for accommodation and food.
Reply 13
You’d get to meet so many people!! Helpaway looks like a good site for volunteering in France in return for accommodation and food.

Do you mean Helpstay? Just checked out that website and it looks amazing. This actually gives me so much hope, to do something really interesting this summer.
Reply 14
Original post by jdddd
Do you mean Helpstay? Just checked out that website and it looks amazing. This actually gives me so much hope, to do something really interesting this summer.

But it costs 19 euros a year :frown: or 26 euros between friends etc so let me know if anyone wants to make a small group and do it?!
Reply 15
Yes, that’s the one!! I’m reluctant to pay for a membership, but I can’t find anywhere that lets you do it for free...
Reply 16
Yes, that’s the one!! I’m reluctant to pay for a membership, but I can’t find anywhere that lets you do it for free...

Same but actually looks amazing :frown::frown::frown:
Hey ! I am French and I will do the opposite I come to England alone soon !! It's a great experience And for you I think the best place is Bordeaux (in south ouest) there are bars, the ocean, and it's so friendly ! if you come In bordeaux keep me informed! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest