The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Drinking and Clubbing?

I have an unconditional offer to study Illustration at Sheffield Hallam, which I aaccepted.

During my time at uni, freshers week in particular, will I be pressured/bullied into going out clubbing, drinking excessively or smoking/doing drugs? I have a form of social Autism called Aspergers Syndrome, and loud noisy clubs and boisterous drunk people make me quite scared, and I hate the idea of being drunk or high and more vulnerable than I normally am. I do drink alcohol, but only a small amount in my house or a pint with a meal out, I don't 'go out drinking'.
Any insight into this will be really appreciated, as it is one thing that is keeping me quite nervous.
Original post by mollyjm
I have an unconditional offer to study Illustration at Sheffield Hallam, which I aaccepted.

During my time at uni, freshers week in particular, will I be pressured/bullied into going out clubbing, drinking excessively or smoking/doing drugs? I have a form of social Autism called Aspergers Syndrome, and loud noisy clubs and boisterous drunk people make me quite scared, and I hate the idea of being drunk or high and more vulnerable than I normally am. I do drink alcohol, but only a small amount in my house or a pint with a meal out, I don't 'go out drinking'.
Any insight into this will be really appreciated, as it is one thing that is keeping me quite nervous.

Absolutely not. At uni you will meet people with a load of different backgrounds and interests so you will find people with similar interests. Talk to as many people as possible and don't try to label them just as you don't want them labeling you. Go in with an open mind, enjoy the experience and you will be fine :smile:

On a separate note, is your uni aware of your condition and have you worked out what support there is and how you can access it?
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
thank you for your reply! I have already let the university know
Reply 3
Original post by mollyjm

Same as me. I don't go clubbing, I like house parties though lol.
Reply 4
Original post by jdddd
Same as me. I don't go clubbing, I like house parties though lol.

I don't like parties at all 😂
Reply 5
Original post by mollyjm

Hahaha shame, not like theres going to be many at University anyway haha
Reply 6
Original post by jdddd
Hahaha shame, not like theres going to be many at University anyway haha

really? I'd heard that there tends to be a lot of parties
Original post by mollyjm

Join the club :smile:

You'll have zero problems making friends. Chances are your "core" set of friends that you regularly contact will be the people from your lectures/labs/tutorials anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by mollyjm
really? I'd heard that there tends to be a lot of parties

Didn't think there would be but you're not alone about clubbing so don't worry.
You should never feel pressured to do anything you don't want to and people should accept you. If you want a way to get out of drinking much then you could always tell them you take medication which you can't drink on (many tablets for anxiety etc have this), people tend to leave you alone about it :tongue:
No there's no pressure. I'm a first year and I don't like the thought of going to clubs or loud parties where everyone is getting crazy drunk, so I simply don't do it. That's fine. If you feel pressure it's because you're creating it yourself. Nobody really cares what you do at uni as long as you're a good person.
Original post by mollyjm

When I went to Hallam, I had those thoughts where I thought I would be pressured into drinking, smoking or doing drugs. I always found that school/uni years is when you find yourself and you get to make friends that have similar interests. So I would say join clubs/societies so in there you will meet people that will have the same or similar things that you like. Especially within your course! But if you know yourself, you know not to put yourself in that situation. And if that situation happens, just take yourself out of that situation, it may be hard but sometimes you have to put yourself first before others.

Just be sensible, if you know you don't want to do something, don't do it. I've been in situations that some of my old friends would ask me to try things or do this etc but I didn't do it. People may be upset/mad with you for not doing what they're doing but they're not true friends if they can't take no for answer.

Reanne
Original post by mollyjm

Hey!

My reply will probably be similar to those who've already replied, but I thought I'd add my experience anyway. :smile:

Although I do like going out and drinking, I've certainly never felt pressured to at university. I went out when I wanted to and enjoyed it, but if I didn't want to, I just didn't go. In my experience, people are more mature at university and understand different people and their values, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Towards the end of my first year, I didn't want to go out at all, but my flatmates went out pretty much every week, and this made me feel quite distant from them (amongst other reasons). This is why I think it's really important to speak to people on your course and outside of where you live, as you'll have a greater chance of meeting people with similar interests to you! Joining a couple of societies really changed my whole university life. I immediately met people with similar interests to me, and though socials sometimes included drinking or nights out, they didn't always and I wouldn't feel at all left out if I didn't join.

In fact, this year's Freshers' week included a whole week of non-drinking activities such as trampolining and bowling for people who didn't want to base their first week on nights out. It was ran by a really great society we have called Student Minds, and I'm pretty sure they'll be carrying this on in future years!

Feel free to ask me any more questions about studying and living at Sheffield Hallam, I'm a third year student now so I've been here a while :smile:

Hope this helped,

Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending