The Student Room Group

*DO NOT READ* The most boring GYG in the history of GYGs.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aspiring-student
That really means a lot, thank you.

No problem.

Day 5 - evening - 11pm

Today has been extremely long. My spine really needs to develop some sort of tolerance to sitting up for prolonged periods of time because I honestly have no idea how I'm going to sit a 2 hour 15 minute exam in 3 months. My muscles keep stiffening and causing so much pain that it's really getting in the way of revision. Also everyone keeps telling me how health is more important than your work right now, but none of them are in this position? (not to sound arrogant in any way) . I'm going to finish up my notes for today and head to bed, I may go to the library tomorrow, depending on how well I feel.

On another note, happy valentines! I literally didn't even notice it was today until a few hours ago lol.

Night, hope tomorrow is better than today!

Day 5 - evening - 11pm

Today has been extremely long. My spine really needs to develop some sort of tolerance to sitting up for prolonged periods of time because I honestly have no idea how I'm going to sit a 2 hour 15 minute exam in 3 months. My muscles keep stiffening and causing so much pain that it's really getting in the way of revision. Also everyone keeps telling me how health is more important than your work right now, but none of them are in this position? (not to sound arrogant in any way) . I'm going to finish up my notes for today and head to bed, I may go to the library tomorrow, depending on how well I feel.

On another note, happy valentines! I literally didn't even notice it was today until a few hours ago lol.

Night, hope tomorrow is better than today!

I've really enjoyed following your blog so far :smile:

In terms of sitting for prolonged periods...Don't know if it's the same in England, but for Scottish exams, if you have a disability/medical need that requires it, you can get breaks at set times (for set durations) during your exams. My brother gets this for his medical condition, and is allowed 15 minutes of break for every hour of the exam, as well as 25% extra time overall, and the breaks don't eat into the time he is allowed, and if he is doing ok, he doesn't have to take them. Might be worth trying to find out whether you could have a similar arrangement if you're worried about it?
Original post by Labrador99
I've really enjoyed following your blog so far :smile:

In terms of sitting for prolonged periods...Don't know if it's the same in England, but for Scottish exams, if you have a disability/medical need that requires it, you can get breaks at set times (for set durations) during your exams. My brother gets this for his medical condition, and is allowed 15 minutes of break for every hour of the exam, as well as 25% extra time overall, and the breaks don't eat into the time he is allowed, and if he is doing ok, he doesn't have to take them. Might be worth trying to find out whether you could have a similar arrangement if you're worried about it?

Thank you, I’m glad you like it so far! I think England does have a similar system, my school have talked to me and my parents about something vaguely along those lines, but I won’t be back for another few weeks, so i’ll find out then :smile: thanks again!
Hey @aspiring-student :smile:
im excited to see how your GYG goes! woo im an aspiring medic too
what exam boards are you doing for your subjects?

all the best xx
Original post by mez_merising
Hey @aspiring-student :smile:
im excited to see how your GYG goes! woo im an aspiring medic too
what exam boards are you doing for your subjects?

all the best xx

Hey! Thank you :smile:

For RS, German, Maths and English its AQA
Bio, Chem, Physics - Edexcel (I wish it was AQA so badly!)
Chinese - Edexcel
Business & Economics - Edexcel
Geography - OCR B

What about yours? :smile:
Thank you, I’m glad you like it so far! I think England does have a similar system, my school have talked to me and my parents about something vaguely along those lines, but I won’t be back for another few weeks, so i’ll find out then :smile: thanks again!

Yep, supervised rest breaks are great. You'll get them - you deserve them more than me, and I have them xD. Mine are actually unlimited, but that's another story.

Let us know if you do get them as they'll be a real help.
Original post by Martins1
Yep, supervised rest breaks are great. You'll get them - you deserve them more than me, and I have them xD. Mine are actually unlimited, but that's another story.

Let us know if you do get them as they'll be a real help.

Thank you, I'll let you know if I do, and I hope so! :smile:
Hey! Thank you :smile:

For RS, German, Maths and English its AQA
Bio, Chem, Physics - Edexcel (I wish it was AQA so badly!)
Chinese - Edexcel
Business & Economics - Edexcel
Geography - OCR B

What about yours? :smile:

English, History, Drama, and Triple Science - AQA
German and Maths - Ededxcel
Latin and Art - OCR
English, History, Drama, and Triple Science - AQA
German and Maths - Ededxcel
Latin and Art - OCR

You study german too, how do you find it?

That's great your school are on top of it :smile: Hope you get the accommodations you need :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
That's great your school are on top of it :smile: Hope you get the accommodations you need :smile:

Thank you :smile:
You study german too, how do you find it?

I love it! My cousins live in Austria so that helps with speaking practice and I just love the language, the grammar isn’t that hard and french was just disgusting to me loool
I love it! My cousins live in Austria so that helps with speaking practice and I just love the language, the grammar isn’t that hard and french was just disgusting to me loool

Ah that’s so cool! The grammar isn’t too bad but the new GCSE requires so much - compared to Chinese which is still the old spec for me :smile:) Had I chose French though lol that’d be a different story! The grammar is just yikes and despite having french relatives i’d flop so hard lmao

Day 6/7 - morning - 9am

Morning! I’m the worst at committing to these kinds of posts - maybe it’s because my life is so inactive, but I promise to post more often and update you all on e v e r y detail, no matter how monotonous, inspid, and lacking in just about any interest it is. So, here’s a breakdown of yesterday:

Day 6:

So I finally finished all of my notes for Topic 7 in Biology, and 5.3 in Economics !!!!! I also did some tassomai, and analysis of Jekyll and Hyde :smile: I don’t know about where anyone else lives but yesterday in London, the sun was ACTUALLY “out” ! I’d kind of got bored of playing classical and study type music, so I spent some of the afternoon listening to my fave Indie bands; (only for copying up flashcards) and I suppose that’s all for yesterday :smile:

Day 7 - morning - 9am

So today is officially a week since I started this blog! Today I do plan on going to the library, I find that studying in different environments helps me to retain certain information better, so i’m going to try that out today.
(edited 6 years ago)

Day 8:

Not much to post here, apart from the fact I've procrastinated sO much this weekend. yikes

This is yet another late entry, tomorrow's another day, and this has been @aspiring-student, thank you and goodnight.

I'm too much lmao. But seriously I need to change that username, I've literally had it since I joined in year 9 :facepalm:

Day 9:

Productivity levels are rising??? I spent the day at the library, and finished my notes for climate change, fuels & earth sciences, and forces & energy, gonna review everything now before I go to sleep, but to be honest, stress levels are rising too, exams really are getting that close and I have so much practice to do in such short time, but I guess I have to try and keep my cool.. :frown:

Day 9:

Productivity levels are rising??? I spent the day at the library, and finished my notes for climate change, fuels & earth sciences, and forces & energy, gonna review everything now before I go to sleep, but to be honest, stress levels are rising too, exams really are getting that close and I have so much practice to do in such short time, but I guess I have to try and keep my cool.. :frown:

Hi :smile:

Congrats on your productivity! And spending the day in the library - I should really start doing that. It's a stressful time understandably - just try to give yourself a break from revision sometimes you'll thank yourself afterwards and it'll give you a bit of time for your brain to absorb all the information ahah!

Keep going, stay cool!:heart:

Love the blog so far , Em.
Original post by mulan.themermaid
Hi :smile:

Congrats on your productivity! And spending the day in the library - I should really start doing that. It's a stressful time understandably - just try to give yourself a break from revision sometimes you'll thank yourself afterwards and it'll give you a bit of time for your brain to absorb all the information ahah!

Keep going, stay cool!:heart:

Love the blog so far , Em.

Honestly, studying there has somehow made me get a little more work done :smile: and aw thank you, that means so much!

Day 13:

Okay, so as you can tell, I've been "off the grid" for a few days. I'm genuinely sorry that I haven't been as committed to my GYG as others have been, and I've made countless promises to myself and on here to post more, but recently I over-worked myself, and it turns out I'd burnt out. I highly, highly do NOT recommend anyone does this. GCSE's are stressful, but health,even mental health comes first; so please avoid burning yourselves out.

I, of all people am probably one of the last people on earth that would listen to this sort of advice, like you don't understand how tedious and repetitive it gets when someone says to me "take care of your spine" "you've just had a major operation, health comes before your GCSE's" "relax, your health is way more important", yES, I'm aware of this really, but c'mon, NONE of the people that say these things to me are in my position, which is what made it very hard for me to fully acknowledge and take on board their advice.

But, I'm telling you now, (well asking, really) that if you're reading this, don't burn yourself out. Take it easy.

By this I mean, don't spend 11 hours a day cramming for your notes, or constantly reciting quotes, or whatever is your preferred method of revising. I know you're reading this right now thinking the exact same thing I did, "yeah yeah", but I honestly cannot stress how important your health really is.

It's literally scientifically proven that in a healthy state of mind, your brain will obviously retain more information, especially from short study sessions. (I recommend pomodoros, look it up :smile: )

And for those of you thinking, "I don't have enough time, etc etc,," You have enough time to constantly rotate through the same three apps on your phone, twitter Instagram, snapchat. So why not utilise THAT time to relax for a moment, even just five minutes and BREATHE. You don't have to give up your social life, but you literally need to give your brain time to actually process what you've written.

Other ways to simply prevent over-working yourself:

- keep drinking lots of water. pretty vital stuff to keep you working, 1.5L a day does the trick.
- study in short sessions, make them useful though :colonhash:
- give yourself credit for what you've done!
- during breaks, RELAX. breathe! (literally this sounds so odd, but focus on your breathing for a few minutes, it clears your head and you will thank yourselves later for it)
-drink water!!!!!
- eat well
-find something that motivates you, and stick it on your wall infront of your desk :smile: it'll serve as a reminder to keep you going during those "i feel like giving up forever" times

I've wasted the last two days in bed, doing nothing, with a constant splitting headache, and no motivation to revise because I over-worked myself. Luckily, people were there to kinda get me back on track as of now, and in a way I'm glad that this happened in february and not may, but had I not "burnt out", these two days could've been utilised finishing topic notes, flashcards, or other general revision. Burning yourself out, as we all know, is not worth it, you don't see it coming, and you just have zero motivation to do absolutely anything, as your revision piles up.

I genuinely don't want anyone here to make this stupid mistake. I'm really not exaggerating, and I'm aware that there are far worse things going on than burning out, but that doesn't mean you should let it happen, especially closer to exams.

Good luck,

@aspiring-student (i really need to change this username lmao , any ideas anyone?)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending