The Student Room Group

What mileage is considered not excessive?

Long story short, found a diesel Renault Megane with a 1.5l engine. The price is decent and my insurance is affordable for it.

I note that it’s got just over 20,000 miles.

It got me thinking, when buying a used car what mileage will be the benchmark for people to say ‘hmm, maybe not’?
Reply 1
Well it depends on the car. Some manufacturers make cars which you can trust to work for far longer than others.

20,000 isn't excessive, if that's what you're asking
Original post by stirkee
Well it depends on the car. Some manufacturers make cars which you can trust to work for far longer than others.

20,000 isn't excessive, if that's what you're asking

The 20,000 was my original question, yes.

But from your first point, are Renault a reliable manufacturer in your opinion? If I ask the dealer, they’d obviously just say yes just to sell the car.
Reply 3
Should also be looking at how well the car has been kept. It makes all the difference: from engine break-in, doing all services on-time, been fed good quality engine oils / fuel, not abused, etc. For most cars 20k is very young in their lifetime. I tend to buy my cars between 15-25k mileage and sell before 40k.
Excessive to me is the point where it's going to need work done very soon, if it hasn't already got it marked down as done on the history. 20,000 miles is good, some reasonable wear but you'll get a few years out of it if not more depending on how much you drive before you need to start replacing things. The Megane is not a bad model.

Original post by accountant-future
The 20,000 was my original question, yes.

But from your first point, are Renault a reliable manufacturer in your opinion? If I ask the dealer, they’d obviously just say yes just to sell the car.

No, they're French.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but i have a question similar to this one.

Is seat ibiza 1.2 tsi sport ecomotive with 68k miles excessive?
The service book looks like it has breaks replaced, windshield and tires at around 40k-50k
But i am not sure if the oil changes were done annually / every 6k
I'm a BMW fan and have purchased a few E46s in my time. As mentioned above, brand of car makes a big difference and also how well it has been looked after. MY first e46 was a diesel and had 150,000 miles on it - I put another 40,000 miles on it before it went KABUM on the A414! That was all down to my poor maintenance schedule and after that event occured, I vowed to look after my cars better.

I now own another E46 with 110,000 miles on it, do most of the work by myself on it and treat it with respect. It's still going strong.

Respect goes a long way with cars

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending