The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

part time finance

im going to be applying for a degree course starting in October.

how do I apply for financial help?
do I need to apply for finance first or help first?

I'm a full time mum, my partner works full time earning 17k approx before tax. we pay full rent etc.
I'm also on carers allowance for our eldest child.

Are there any help/grants I can apply for? I don't know where to start.
Original post by RuthieG101
im going to be applying for a degree course starting in October.

how do I apply for financial help?
do I need to apply for finance first or help first?

I'm a full time mum, my partner works full time earning 17k approx before tax. we pay full rent etc.
I'm also on carers allowance for our eldest child.

Are there any help/grants I can apply for? I don't know where to start.

Apply for the course, apply for student finance through Student Finance England (or whichever is appropriate), then start the course and the OU will confirm your attendance with Student Finance so SF can pay your fees.

I have had a response from a SFE adviser that OU doesn't qualify for part time maintenance loans so if that is correct then you will get your tuition covered, but nothing else. See below. Though this could be wrong.

Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi SuperCat007,

Based on the information that you have provided the course that you are looking to studying as a 2nd degree is a part time STEM course.
Therefore you would be eligible for funding from Student Finance for a 2nd degree.
Part Time Maintenance Loans (PTML) will be available to new students starting new courses from august 2018 onwards on eligible courses.
Distance Learning courses, which Open University is classed as, are not eligible for PTML. You would however be eligible for tuition fee support.
Part Time applications for 2018/19 academic year will not be available
until June. If you wish to contact us nearer to the time for further information.

Thanks

Louise

I also just found this whilst trying to find out about PTML's: https://help.open.ac.uk/topic/payment-and-enrolment/category/additional-funding-and-financial-support might help.
(edited 6 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest