The Student Room Group

Hertfordshire or Reading for Pharmacy?

Which university is better for studying Pharmacy? Hertfordshire or Reading?
Original post by diana5594

Better in terms of...?

Are you referring in terms of socially, academically, or in terms of university's prestigious nature? Or overall?
Reply 3
Original post by fezzyduck
Are you referring in terms of socially, academically, or in terms of university's prestigious nature? Or overall?

I mean overall

I've been at Herts now for the past four years, and whilst I didn't study Pharmacy, I really enjoyed my time here.

It's an amazing Uni that really takes into account students--it's evident that they care about the experience we have here. It's constantly being improved, physically in terms of the campus, but also educationally. There's tons to do on campus, and in the surrounding areas (great links to St. Albans and London and other Hertfordshire areas of note!).

I think the best way to decide between two Unis (besides talking to people on the course that go there) is to actually visit the Unis. Is there any way you can do that? :smile:

If you have any other questions about the Uni, let me know!
University of Reading in terms of academics and socially, if you want a society that is well rounded and chill. Reading is quite rigorous but rewarding. Hertfordshire is more a society based (which means is a party type of uni) university and for Pharmacy it is meant to be really good, the people there tend to be more on the artistic side.
Reply 6
Original post by Michelle Bieger
I've been at Herts now for the past four years, and whilst I didn't study Pharmacy, I really enjoyed my time here.

It's an amazing Uni that really takes into account students--it's evident that they care about the experience we have here. It's constantly being improved, physically in terms of the campus, but also educationally. There's tons to do on campus, and in the surrounding areas (great links to St. Albans and London and other Hertfordshire areas of note!).

I think the best way to decide between two Unis (besides talking to people on the course that go there) is to actually visit the Unis. Is there any way you can do that? :smile:

If you have any other questions about the Uni, let me know!

I've visited both universities and really liked Hertfordshire but should I pick Reading as my firm as it is academically better?
I've visited both universities and really liked Hertfordshire but should I pick Reading as my firm as it is academically better?

I think you should always go with what you personally loved over statistics or reputation. So much stress goes into dissecting University reputations one way or the other--in reality, the number one thing dictating your success at a University is YOU. The most lazy person in the world could go to what's considered the prestigious Uni in the world--but at the end of the day, they're still going to be lazy. You're the person driving your success, at the end of the day.

If you are set on statistics, both Reading and Herts got a silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework, which looks at the quality of teaching at the University. Herts also has an impressive employment record, with 96.2% of students in employment or further study within six months of graduation.

Personally speaking, I think Herts does a great job at supporting students academically. My lecturers have always been personable, keen on helping me, and open to my ideas when it comes to dissertation and my studies. When it's gotten tough for me in terms of mental health or studying, my lecturers were incredibly understanding and right away directed me to on-campus support. I'm incredibly grateful to have studied at Herts!
As with always, I tend to like to stick to the facts, especially regarding a life university choice. As regards the University of Herefordshire compared to the University of Reading, the facts should convince you that there truly is no comparison. The University of Reading is a well established university, while Hertfordshire is an ex-polytechnic only becoming a university as recent as 1992. Reading's campus, history, educational excellence and reputation globally is no match for Herefordshire, and that's being mild. A degree from Reading will take you further, be met with more appealing eyes in industry and is in the TOP 30 universities in the UK, while Hertfordshire tends to fluctuate towards the middle to bottom end of the ranking's foot. However, what you should consider is the calibre of both it's lecturers and students in terms of entry requirements too! At Reading you will be predominantly surrounded by Students whom have gained very good A 'level grades, and lecturers with a profound level of experience teaching at a well established university. In other words, at Reading you will be part of a team of students whom WISH to work, while at Hertfordshire, due to their low grade entry requirements tend to attract a majority of students of much lesser academic achievement. This applies to the majority of ex-polytechnic New Universities. As I have said, there's truly no comparison! Also, remember that Reading was first established as a College of Oxford University! Need i say more?
(edited 2 years ago)
I got an offer for pharmacy 2022
Original post by David Conway
As with always, I tend to like to stick to the facts, especially regarding a life university choice. As regards the University of Herefordshire compared to the University of Reading, the facts should convince you that there truly is no comparison. The University of Reading is a well established university, while Hertfordshire is an ex-polytechnic only becoming a university as recent as 1992. Reading's campus, history, educational excellence and reputation globally is no match for Herefordshire, and that's being mild. A degree from Reading will take you further, be met with more appealing eyes in industry and is in the TOP 30 universities in the UK, while Hertfordshire tends to fluctuate towards the middle to bottom end of the ranking's foot. However, what you should consider is the calibre of both it's lecturers and students in terms of entry requirements too! At Reading you will be predominantly surrounded by Students whom have gained very good A 'level grades, and lecturers with a profound level of experience teaching at a well established university. In other words, at Reading you will be part of a team of students whom WISH to work, while at Hertfordshire, due to their low grade entry requirements tend to attract a majority of students of much lesser academic achievement. This applies to the majority of ex-polytechnic New Universities. As I have said, there's truly no comparison! Also, remember that Reading was first established as a College of Oxford University! Need i say more?

Reading, as correctly David writes, was founded in 1892 as University College, Reading, a University of Oxford extension college. The institution received the power to grant its own degrees in 1926 by royal charter from King George V and was the only university to receive such a charter between the two world wars. It is usually categorized within the second wave of the civic universities (similar to Exeter, Hull, Leicester etc.).

Hertfordshire is indeed an ex polytechnics (a post 1992 or modern university as they are sometimes called).

So in short I agree that Reading is overall better than Hertfordshire.

Nevertheless, Reading despite its impressive and long history is not really that great as a uni. A long history does not guarantee the uni will be great. See for example Aberdeen university which is an ancient uni or the the former university of Lampeter. Both old institutions yet they fail to deliver much in rankings.

Reading is a middle ranked uni, it has some niche excellences in some areas but overall nothing special.

Finally, yes Hertfordshire was an ex poly but has gained uni status more than 30 years ago and many ex polys since then compete nicely with Unis that are ranked in the middle of the ranking tables such as Reading and other similar unis which hover in the middle of the ranking tables.

So overall yes Reading is better but my advice would be to go for the course that suits you best. After you graduate what employers really look for is a good degree and the drive to develop further. I don’t think that the uni choice here will make such a big difference. If it was between Oxford and Hertfordshire ok. But between Hertfordshire and Reading I personally believe that the course choice and grade are higher up in importance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending