The Student Room Group

'Prestigious' uni or being near girlfriend? Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
How does that work? You picked your universities over 2 years ago and didn't review them before you actually applied this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, a lot of people calling me out on minutae. Valid question from you but referencing a lot of other comments.
I picked them, oh, around exam time AS level, so a couple of years ago, and reviewed them now, and still liked them for this year. Changed a few of other choices but still liked Sussex/Goldsmiths.
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you asked Bath? Their typical offer is A*AA/AAA. A*AB may well be acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure I'm willing to risk Extra, and doesn't really solve my problem anyway
Reply 42
Original post by louisedrake

Well my original advice still holds. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you checked whether the courses at Durham and St Andrews have reading weeks? That makes taking a break mid term a lot easier.
Self explanatory title, subject is Psychology.

I have visited Sussex and Goldsmiths and like them - but don't LOVE them. St A's and Durham more fit my 'goal' of a 'prestigious' uni, but...
it would mean living 2+ hours (at least) away from my girlfriend, who I have lived with full-time for 2 years.
Of course I care about my education, and we would stay together no matter what uni, but I know it will be horrible leaving my best friend and support system for 3/4 years.
If I go to Sussex/Goldsmiths we would be able to live together, the same as we are now, but I can't help feeling like I'm giving up a chance of a 'better' uni and I'm drawn to their reputation etc.

Please no hateful comments etc, I really am under so much stress from this decision and any advice would be good.

EDIT: the amount of hours doesn't matter, and if I went to Durham/St. A she would be in London, so around 2/3 hours. But again... not the important part of this question.

Are u lesbian/bisexual? Never talked to one before!!
deffo not being hateful, just curious!!
Look, i'm in the same boat as you here. I haven't been with my boyfriend for as long as you with your girlfriend, or lived with him, but I have the option of Exeter which is very much in my comfort zone - 1.5hrs away from my parents/other family, I used to live in Exeter, I have friends around and family friends who could take me in in an emergency.
Or I can go to Southampton. Which seems like the perfect course for me.

As horrible as it is, people do say to prioritize your education. But I struggle to make new friends and get to know people (which I put down to anxiety :s).

But at the same time, if you're not going to be happy, don't do it. Not going to a prestigious uni isn't the end of the world! You can always (if it's in your bigger plans) transfer if you need to, or you can do a PhD at another university. It's not the end of the world if you make what you might feel in a year's time is the "wrong" choice.

I've always lived my life by going through pros and cons and what's logical, and I genuinely believe that I have some sort of natural intuition about where I should go and what I should do, I've had this with a lot of my academic choices so far, and none of them have turned out to be bad choices. If I was to go with this still, I'd be at Exeter.

Sorry if this is very rambling-y, I'm really bad at phrasing what I want to say. I just wish you good luck in whatever you choose, and please remember it's not too late to change your mind after you apply there. Sure it's a hassle, but not the end of the world.
I would choose one of the more prestigious universities. If your relationship is that strong, then it shouldn't matter where the both of you are. If you don't go to one of the more prestigious universities, you will only beat yourself up for it later on in life, especially if your current relationship doesn't last. You only have this shot at university, you have all the time in the world for your partner, going to the better university now could mean a better lifestyle for the both of you later on.

I am in a slightly different situation, I'm heading to Leeds to study mech eng, whilst my girlfriend is still in Year 12. She may end up at the same university as me as she wants to study mech eng too, and Leeds is the best for that degree, but even so, I wouldn't change my uni if she was headed elsewhere.
Hi, I know somebody who did exactly this. They went to Bristol his girlfriend went to Cardiff, so not very close but 40 minutes away. He did this instead of going to Imperial in London which is like 3 hours because he thought she was 'the one'. Well, it turns out he met someone who he ended up loving even more at Bristol, things got messy and he broke up with his gf. I'm not saying anything like this will happen to you, it's just an accecdote to think about. sounds cringeworthy but if its true love distance shouldn't matter.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think you should listen to your gut and head to Durham or St A. You're right that if you stay, you might end regretting it - especially if you end up not liking your course or if you guys broke up further down the line. Besides, if you go up north and end up not liking it, you always have the option of of leaving, moving back to be with your gf, then reapplying somewhere else. If you stay down south and end up not liking it, you'll just be having a rubbish time and feeling resentful without a back up plan.

If you haven't got a strong preference between St A or Durham, I'd say Durham because it's WAY easier to get to London from there (St Andrews is a mission, it don't even have a train station!) and it's three years, not four. So less time doing long-distance.

I did long-distance for a year while I was studying, and it sucks, but if your relationship's meant to last then you'll see it through. These things tend to sort themselves out. Follow your gut, and best of luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Say goodbye to your girlfriend. A relationship should never hinder your goals.

I somewhat agree with this.

You should never let another person, pastime, hobby or other activity interfere with your aspirations and goals, whether this be a video game, a sport, or like in your case, a relationship. I told my girlfriend from the very beginning that I would prioritise my education over her, and she agrees and understands and accepts it because she is in the same boat as I am - she wants to do well and she has high goals like me, so it is important to us both that we do well at school.

The thing you need to remember is that this is something that could potentially have an impact on your future life. Whilst you do (I assume) love your girlfriend, you need to think further ahead than that, and make priorities. I do not think you should "say goodbye to your girlfriend" as this anonymous poster said, but you should put your education first.
Reply 51
Sussex is a reputable uni much liked St A/Durham. Put your girlfriend to a side and ask yourself where do YOU really want to go? I’m certain that, with your motivation and dedication, you can both make your relationship work even if you did go away for uni. I have a family member who lives 2.5 hours from home but she still visits home regularly despite having crazy contact hours at uni as well as placement at hospitals. It is very costly on her but, to her, even if she can make the weekend, she will come to visit. Of course, not everyone’s situation is like that and it may not be possible for you to afford travel all the time but do consider the fact that, many people have left loved ones behind to go away to uni. You would not be the first.
Reply 52
Two hours is nothing. Seriously. My boyfriend was DEPLOYED to Iraq for one year. Didn't see him the entire second year of our dating. We've been together 5 years and just got married last October. I also work as a finance consultant which means I am working and travelling in different countires and states Mon-Fri and only see my husband on weekends most months.

Distance is nothing if it's meant to be. :smile: Education first.
Okay this is very relateable for me, I split up with my boyfriend of 4 years for this exact reason, he tried to stop me from going to my dream uni because of how far away it is. If your relationship can survive the distance of uni then great but this is literally setting you up for how you want the craft your future... you will come home to visit your parents, friends, siblings.. if she can’t support your aspirations to go to a prestigious uni and be happy for you paving next your future in a uni you want then I would really think about whether it’s the right relationship to be in because you might, like me, discover it isn’t...
I didn't pick those unis for her - they were my choice when I applied a while ago for a different year before I even knew her, so I would never pick a uni just for someone else. Conveniently, Sussex and Goldsmiths are close to her, but that's just coincidence. The education will not vary greatly - it's still uni, Sussex ranks quite well for Psych (in my research, might be a little outdated), but I'm wondering whether the 'prestige' is all it's cracked up to be.

i made st andrews my firm and durham my insurance, and couldn't recommend st andrews enough. you can have more nightlife at other unis, but the st andrews experience is truly unique.

the truth about prestige is this. most employers won't care about your uni if you have the right experience. for instance someone who had a really specific degree or relevant work experience will be chosen even if they went to a crap uni. BUT the prestige element is really important - going to st andrews really opens doors, i cant tell you how many job interviews i've done where the employer has practically drooled over my uni and been like "ahh, st andrews. very top uni".
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i made st andrews my firm and durham my insurance, and couldn't recommend st andrews enough. you can have more nightlife at other unis, but the st andrews experience is truly unique.

the truth about prestige is this. most employers won't care about your uni if you have the right experience. for instance someone who had a really specific degree or relevant work experience will be chosen even if they went to a crap uni. BUT the prestige element is really important - going to st andrews really opens doors, i cant tell you how many job interviews i've done where the employer has practically drooled over my uni and been like "ahh, st andrews. very top uni".

To be honest with you, if you have an employer who is so impressed by a St Andrews degree, you really should be aiming for better firms. It suggests a lack of dynamism in the firm/your interviewer not meeting very many people.
Self explanatory title, subject is Psychology.

I have visited Sussex and Goldsmiths and like them - but don't LOVE them. St A's and Durham more fit my 'goal' of a 'prestigious' uni, but...
it would mean living 2+ hours (at least) away from my girlfriend, who I have lived with full-time for 2 years.
Of course I care about my education, and we would stay together no matter what uni, but I know it will be horrible leaving my best friend and support system for 3/4 years.
If I go to Sussex/Goldsmiths we would be able to live together, the same as we are now, but I can't help feeling like I'm giving up a chance of a 'better' uni and I'm drawn to their reputation etc.

Please no hateful comments etc, I really am under so much stress from this decision and any advice would be good.

EDIT: the amount of hours doesn't matter, and if I went to Durham/St. A she would be in London, so around 2/3 hours. But again... not the important part of this question.

Go to the prestigious uni but don’t break up with your girlfriend... two hours isn’t too long of a trip to take at the weekends and if you have the choice to go into a better uni, why not do it.
Original post by Notoriety
To be honest with you, if you have an employer who is so impressed by a St Andrews degree, you really should be aiming for better firms. It suggests a lack of dynamism in the firm/your interviewer not meeting very many people.

maybe you misread my post because i said the COMPLETE opposite! my office is full of people from mediocre universities because they had very relevant experience or degree. but my employers were nonetheless impressed with with st andrews name and ive had that in many interviews, almost all of them make a comment
Reply 58
And therefore have a penchant for StA grads...
would be a boring thing to troll with...

PR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending