The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hysterria
Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I'm really unsure of what to do, advice would be more than welcome :smile:

Go to Edinburgh. You will regret it in later life if you attend a weaker uni, as the reputation of the uni you attend becomes your brand. You can always do an MSc/PhD at Aberdeen or elsewhere.
Difficult call - the only thing I would add is it is definitely worth taking a wider viewpoint. 10 or 20 years down the line you won't remember much of the course, but employers will make a judgement based on the name of the University you attended.

If you think you would enjoy Aberdeen more and get a better education there then they are worthwhile reasons to chose it. But do remember that Edinburgh is such a respected university, that name on your CV may open more doors in the future.
Edinburgh and Aberdeen, for Neuroscience.

Thanks for the advice! :smile: I think you're right, I'm just worried about further study/employment mostly haha.

I think Aberdeen is still a prestigious university, I mean it isn't RG, but it's still fantastic. My mum went there and is hugely academic, she absolutely loved it, I mean this was like 20 years ago but still.
Thanks to everyone who's replied! Based on the responses I've made a wee list of reasons to choose both unis, here it is:

Edinburgh
* More prestigious -> helpful for employment/further study
* I'll probably fit in better with the student body
* More/better facilities (presumably)
* More interesting city, more to do, better transport links etc

Aberdeen
* Better course rankings (not sure whether that'll be any advantage at all though)
* Campus uni
* I like the course content better
* Staff seem more friendly, it all seems a bit more personal, I liked the overall "feel" of the university much more than at Edinburgh

Based on this list, which uni do you think I should choose?
Thanks to everyone who's replied! Based on the responses I've made a wee list of reasons to choose both unis, here it is:

Edinburgh

Aberdeen
* Better course rankings (not sure whether that'll be any advantage at all though)
* Campus uni
* Staff seem more friendly, it all seems a bit more personal, I liked the overall "feel" of the university much more than at Edinburgh

* There's little real difference in "prestige" between Edinburgh and Aberdeen, especially if Aberdeen is well-regarded for your course.
* Why will you fit in better at Edinburgh?
* Better facilities for what?
* Probably yes

Sounds like you need to re-visit both and make a final choice after answering those questions for yourself :smile:

There's no rush...
Original post by Doonesbury
* There's little real difference in "prestige" between Edinburgh and Aberdeen, especially if Aberdeen is well-regarded for your course.
* Why will you fit in better at Edinburgh?
* Better facilities for what?
* Probably yes

Sounds like you need to re-visit both and make a final choice after answering those questions for yourself :smile:

There's no rush...

Thanks! I really want to visit both unis again, but it's expensive and I'm really busy with school atm... :/

Do you really think there isn't a big difference in prestige? From what I've gathered, employers prefer RG unis and Edinburgh is so much higher up the ranking tables! On the other hand I do know succesful people in academics who've gone to "mediocre" universities and therefore maybe I shouldn't worry too much, especially if I get a good degree classification :smile:.
I think that the students at Edinburgh are more academically inclined, diverse and open-minded, from what I've heard from others. But obviously you're going to find all sorts of people at all universities so maybe this is quite a daft point to make haha.
In terms of facilities, I think that Edinburgh is just bigger/richer than Aberdeen so they'll probably have better libraries/labs etc. (although Aberdeen has a very nice library). I visited Aberdeen with my dad, who works as a lab safety/sustainability consultant and he thought the labs at Aberdeen were really below my home country's standards and sometimes straight up unsafe. I'm not too fussed about that but maybe Edinburgh has better facilities! Also the teaching might be better? On the other hand Aberdeen has the more reputable course so I suppose the difference won't be that big.
Original post by howitoughttobe
So I was interested to see if what you were saying about accreditation is true so I downloaded the IET's list of accredited courses from their website. I noticed that the majority of unis with better reputations have BEng degrees with partial CEng accreditation and MEng degrees with full CEng accreditation. The universities with lower reputations tend to offer BSc degrees rather than BEng degrees, and their bachelors degrees tend to be partially or fully IEng accredited and their masters degrees partially CEng accredited. I'm sure it's just a coincidence though.

https://www.theiet.org/academics/accreditation/downloads/accreditedprogs.cfm

ok
So the only university on that list with an MEng/MSci that doesn't have Full CEng accreditation is Newcastle - a Russell Group university with 4 of their degrees (Automation Control, Digital Electronics, Electrical Power Engineering and Microelectric Engineering).
100% of ex-polys and 100% of the other universities have full CEng accrediation for their undergrad masters courses.

Within the BEng/BSci level
100% of those offering Partial IEng are top up degrees (so completely understandable - you can't accredit a single year course the same as you can a 3 year course)
there are 68 FT courses with Full IEng - of these only 10 are in traditional engineering courses and not in audio/music/film production and similar sectors including 2 offered at Russell Groups Leeds and York). That's out of the 432 accredited BEng/BSc degrees and all 10 also have variations of their engineering degrees with Partial CEng as well

Your "impressions" are not a good analysis of the data. There's no trend for your definition of "weak" universities offering lower accreditation and "good" offering higher accreditation. There is a tendency for non-RG universities to offer more audio/music/film engineering degrees and top ups that attract lower levels of accreditation due to the nature of the courses, or to have a range of traditional engineering courses with different levels of accrediation...but it's not universal (see Leeds, York and Newcastle) and doesn't seem to back up what you "noticed".
I also prefer the course content.
Go for it.
Thanks! I really want to visit both unis again, but it's expensive and I'm really busy with school atm... :/

It is possible to hedge your bets a little. Would you be ok with Aberdeen Firm and Edinburgh Insurance or would having a higher offer as insurance make you uncomfortable?
It's possible to swap firm and insurance choices over until mid July with the agreement from both universities and UCAS (can take a bit of nagging over the phone to get it sorted). Which would give you the possibility to visit again in the summer when you've got a bit more time and if you're not happy with Aberdeen then to swap over to Edinburgh.

Do you really think there isn't a big difference in prestige? From what I've gathered, employers prefer RG unis and Edinburgh is so much higher up the ranking tables! On the other hand I do know succesful people in academics who've gone to "mediocre" universities and therefore maybe I shouldn't worry too much, especially if I get a good degree classification :smile:.

Have you been following the discussion about "prestige" in this thread? :wink:

I think that the students at Edinburgh are more academically inclined, diverse and open-minded, from what I've heard from others. But obviously you're going to find all sorts of people at all universities so maybe this is quite a daft point to make haha.
In terms of facilities, I think that Edinburgh is just bigger/richer than Aberdeen so they'll probably have better libraries/labs etc. (although Aberdeen has a very nice library). I visited Aberdeen with my dad, who works as a lab safety/sustainability consultant and he thought the labs at Aberdeen were really below my home country's standards and sometimes straight up unsafe. I'm not too fussed about that but maybe Edinburgh has better facilities! Also the teaching might be better? On the other hand Aberdeen has the more reputable course so I suppose the difference won't be that big.

You would really have to visit them and compare the things that are important to you. The library is important - and you like Aberdeen's :smile:

Regarding teaching, Aberdeen is above Edinburgh on the Guardian list when ranked by satisfaction with teaching...
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-league-tables-2018
Original post by PQ
It is possible to hedge your bets a little. Would you be ok with Aberdeen Firm and Edinburgh Insurance or would having a higher offer as insurance make you uncomfortable?
It's possible to swap firm and insurance choices over until mid July with the agreement from both universities and UCAS (can take a bit of nagging over the phone to get it sorted). Which would give you the possibility to visit again in the summer when you've got a bit more time and if you're not happy with Aberdeen then to swap over to Edinburgh.

That actually sounds like a plan! They've given me the exact same offer though (a bit strange on Aberdeen's part, but alas), so I was actually planning on making Dundee my insurance, at least I'll be certain of having a place. Then again, there's like a 90% chance I'll get the grade, so maybe I can take the risk :smile:. Do you reckon I should?
Have you been following the discussion about "prestige" in this thread? :wink:

Have to admit there were so many (contrasting) responses and people going off on tangents that I couldn't really see the forest because of the trees, just skimmed through most of the replies. Although I think I should get over the whole prestige thing, it certainly isn't everything.

You would really have to visit them and compare the things that are important to you. The library is important - and you like Aberdeen's :smile:

Regarding teaching, Aberdeen is above Edinburgh on the Guardian list when ranked by satisfaction with teaching...
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-league-tables-2018

I really should! I visited before but didn't really know what I was looking for just yet, also I did five universities in six days so my visits were all quite short and "superficial" - ie campus tour and walking around the city for a bit. It feels as though Aberdeen cares more about its students, which probably explains the higher satisfaction in not just teaching! I think Edinburgh really is like a "degree factory" and I'm not sure whether that suits me. I go to a large secondary school and often feel a bit lost and without support there.
That actually sounds like a plan! They've given me the exact same offer though (a bit strange on Aberdeen's part, but alas), so I was actually planning on making Dundee my insurance, at least I'll be certain of having a place. Then again, there's like a 90% chance I'll get the grade, so maybe I can take the risk :smile:. Do you reckon I should?

I think if you're feeling that confident of making the grade then it's not a risky option and worth keeping as a backup. Both universities have accommodation application deadlines after the latest date to swap choices so you can make decisions on Track in April knowing that if you do change your mind then you can swap over in June/July (and hopefully have time to visit then too)
it depends on what you want from uni. is there really specific course you are dead set on? if you dont have the grades then you need to go another uni that does.

its a really hard decision, as its just not that simple, and lots of factors go into it. i would go to the unis you are thinking of and walk around. see what you like or dont like.

x
Original post by PQ
I think if you're feeling that confident of making the grade then it's not a risky option and worth keeping as a backup. Both universities have accommodation application deadlines after the latest date to swap choices so you can make decisions on Track in April knowing that if you do change your mind then you can swap over in June/July (and hopefully have time to visit then too)

I'll graduate in June so I'll definitely have time to visit, especially since a return flight is only like 50 pounds anyway. The only thing is I should apply for student finance next month, but I'll figure something out. Thanks! :smile:
I'll graduate in June so I'll definitely have time to visit, especially since a return flight is only like 50 pounds anyway. The only thing is I should apply for student finance next month, but I'll figure something out. Thanks! :smile:

That's fine - it's simple to swap the university for your finance application :yes: lots of applicants change in August time so it's a straightforward process.

Edinburgh

Aberdeen
* Campus uni

You seem to prefer Aberdeen, so I'd go with that. Net-net there isn't so much of a difference in overall prestige between Edinburgh and Aberdeen that would make a huge amount of difference. Aberdeen still is an ancient university with a very strong reputation - might not be as flashy or posh as Edinburgh, but people do well for themselves having gone there.

Also, university fit is so important honestly.. Nothing worse than going to a uni and getting depressed because you don't fit in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Edinburgh

Aberdeen
* Campus uni

Hey, I study in Aberdeen and don't mind answering any Qs you have if you wanna PM me! Aberdeen can be quite small but I read that you came from a small town, so it is still a step up without being overwhelming I thought. Staff are more friendly because there is less students but that isn't necessarily a bad thing! At the end of the day, you have to live and ultimately survive for 4 years in a different city and you need to prioritise what one will make you happier/fits your needs. If you found edinB overwhelming, it will be overwhelming when you live there. If you are a person who adapts easy it shouldn't be a problem but if not then why risk it?

Aberdeen's night life is fantastic also, I have been out in Edinburgh but found it not as good tbh and most people I speak to agree Aberdeen weirdly has a good nightlife scene on par or better than Glasgow/Edinburgh. There is literally a club for everyone here and tons and tons of student bars.
Original post by ScotDoc
Hey, I study in Aberdeen and don't mind answering any Qs you have if you wanna PM me! Aberdeen can be quite small but I read that you came from a small town, so it is still a step up without being overwhelming I thought. Staff are more friendly because there is less students but that isn't necessarily a bad thing! At the end of the day, you have to live and ultimately survive for 4 years in a different city and you need to prioritise what one will make you happier/fits your needs. If you found edinB overwhelming, it will be overwhelming when you live there. If you are a person who adapts easy it shouldn't be a problem but if not then why risk it?

Aberdeen's night life is fantastic also, I have been out in Edinburgh but found it not as good tbh and most people I speak to agree Aberdeen weirdly has a good nightlife scene on par or better than Glasgow/Edinburgh. There is literally a club for everyone here and tons and tons of student bars.

Thank you for your detailed response! :smile: Sadly I haven't seen much of Aberdeen city, because I was only there for a day and there was some sort of hurricane going on? I'd planned out a 'touristic' route to walk from the hotel to the uni but it started pouring down somewhere halfway through Union Street (I think), so I bought an awful tartan umbrella, only for it to be blown away when the wind kicked in. I then took the bus university, so much for seeing the city, lol. Anyway, I think you're right about having to live there for four years, so I shouldn't choose a city I wouldn't feel comfortable in. I'm just finding it really hard to gain an insight in what actually living in Aberdeen or Edinburgh is like. Tbh I'm terrified at the prospect of going to university altogether so maybe it won't even matter that much in the end.

I don't have much time now but I'll probably PM you later today or tomorrow, thanks! :smile:
Thank you for your detailed response! :smile: Sadly I haven't seen much of Aberdeen city, because I was only there for a day and there was some sort of hurricane going on? I'd planned out a 'touristic' route to walk from the hotel to the uni but it started pouring down somewhere halfway through Union Street (I think), so I bought an awful tartan umbrella, only for it to be blown away when the wind kicked in. I then took the bus university, so much for seeing the city, lol. Anyway, I think you're right about having to live there for four years, so I shouldn't choose a city I wouldn't feel comfortable in. I'm just finding it really hard to gain an insight in what actually living in Aberdeen or Edinburgh is like. Tbh I'm terrified at the prospect of going to university altogether so maybe it won't even matter that much in the end.

I don't have much time now but I'll probably PM you later today or tomorrow, thanks! :smile:

Yep, uni is a scary prospect, I 100% understand how you feel as I was the same! Also the weather isn't the best up here so there is that but you learn to adapt!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending