The Student Room Group

People who got a 2:2...How did you take it/What did you do after uni??

In a slump (final year) and honestly feel like everything I write is complete crap at this point, I’m aiming for a 2:1 (a 1st would be amazing) but right now the future looks bleak and I think I’ll have a full on breakdown if I go online on results day and see a 2:2...I’m losing sleep over the thought.
So people who’ve been there..how did you react, how have you coped since?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got a 2:2.

I had a handful of sales jobs for a while, then trained (aged 32) to be a teacher. I am now teaching at one of the top ten-ish schools in the country.
Reply 2
Is a 2:2 really that bad? I'm in my first year and I got a 2:2 (56%) for my first unit. Obviously, the expectation is that I'll improve in time, but I was just thinking the other day about the possibility of finishing my course with a 2:2. I'd love to see some other comments because this grading system is really new to me.
Reply 3
It’s not THAT bad I understand - but it’s not great. Ideally you want to finish your degree with a 2:1 or above - I got a 2:1 in second year so I felt okay completing it with that, first year I think I just about scraped a 2:1 but most first years (unless stated otherwise) don’t count towards your overall degree grade. It depends how it’s weighted (like mines 20:80) some are 50:50 and some are scattered
A 2:2 isn't bad, you still managed to achieve a degree! If it turns out you do get a 2:2 in the end, you can still have a good career after graduation. You might find yourself ruled out from some graduate schemes who ask for a 2:1 minimum, but you can apply to smaller companies and entry level jobs, building up your work experience and progressing up the career ladder.

Some of it comes down to what subject you studies and what career you want to go into. Some friends who studied a science-related degree and gained 2:2 went into doing a PGCE and going into teaching, and going back to uni to study nursing. Someone else I know who gained a 2:2 in business ended up working for his father's business.
People really overestimate how bad a 2.2 is. Sure, it excludes you from most graduate schemes, but how many graduates actually get on to one of those in the first place? Not many. There's still a world of opportunities out there.

I didn't get a 2.2 but from uni and employment I know a fair few people who did, and this is what they're up to:

Consultant
Portfolio manager
Data Analyst
Developer
Some kind of senior coding/development role for a tech firm
Several teachers and account managers
Senior Recruiter

You're not doomed to a lifetime of working on the minimum wage just because you got a 2.2. There's still a world of opportunities out there if you are prepared to work for them.
Reply 6
I did probably over dramatise it a tad - I just know myself and what I will feel like knowing I’ve got that weighing on my shoulders. Ironically my degree isn’t career specific so I could take on any job sector and give it a good go - I just more worry about what others will think of me and if people get judged etc
Original post by Lily048
In a slump (final year) and honestly feel like everything I write is complete crap at this point, I’m aiming for a 2:1 (a 1st would be amazing) but right now the future looks bleak and I think I’ll have a full on breakdown if I go online on results day and see a 2:2...I’m losing sleep over the thought.

I'm in my final year too and heading for a 2:2. I'm annoyed with myself but depression combined with hating my degree means that even a 2:2 is some sort of achievement. I applied for a load of grad schemes (back when I was delusional enough to think I could still get a 2:1) and I've got some interviews lined up, but most of them want a 2:1 minimum so even if I'm offered the job they'll probably reject me once results come out. Still hopeful I might get a place on one of the ones that asks for a 2:2 but realistically I think I'll be working a minimum wage job in a bar or a shop come September. A few years ago a 2:2 might have been ok but nowadays with so many people going to uni and 75% of graduates getting a 2:1 or higher, a 2:2 is pretty much worthless.
Original post by Lily048
I did probably over dramatise it a tad - I just know myself and what I will feel like knowing I’ve got that weighing on my shoulders. Ironically my degree isn’t career specific so I could take on any job sector and give it a good go - I just more worry about what others will think of me and if people get judged etc

I don't think anyone judges you for it. The smartest guy at my old job had a 2.2 and openly admitted he didn't take his degree as seriously as he could have. He made up for it by studying for a professional qualification and used that to get his big break in London.
There's only about a 5% difference in short term employment stats for graduates with a 2:2 v a 2:1. There's a much bigger difference between a 2:1 and a 1st (13% last time I ran the numbers).

Quite a few grad schemes will accept a 2:2, a lot of postgraduate courses will accept that and a LOT of graduate jobs (outside grad schemes) just specify "a degree".

Stop beating yourself up too much and do some thinking about what sort of job or sector you might want to work in - your careers service should be able to help.
Reply 10
Original post by truffle_999
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it’s mainly engineering schemes or accountancy/banking firms that ask for 2:1s or above, and that have very strict application requirements. Public sector employers such as the NHS & IPO don’t rule out graduates with 2:2s, they offer graduate management programmes and training schemes; So, depending on the degree that you’re doing this might be worth investigating. Smaller organisations/companies can favour students with 2:1s and less. Also, its not just about the degree classification work-experience and internships you’ve undertaken play a vital role in bulking up your CV (and may make up for lack of other things).

University’s a trip - I used to think it was a staple part of ones career but my view has since shifted.

That’s honestly really interesting how your views shifted - I am doing a degree yet I feel like one of the few people who believes it’s the be all and end all in life to a good career. Everyone seems to think that uni is the “done” thing but I’ve seen way more successful people without degrees than with tbh! Mines in Criminology which I guess is general in terms of the careers it stems into - the employment sectors from my cause range from NHS, government, Consultancy firms, Prison Service, Security Agencies and City/County Council Jobs if that helps
Reply 11
Original post by truffle_999
We spend the first 20 years of our early lives in education, so it’s been drilled into us that without university degrees, we’ll struggle to attain decent well-paid jobs. Whilst I’m sure that’s true for associated degrees like medicine, a large proportion of students probably never see the same economic return. University is imperative if you wish to pursue higher education, it’s like a stepping stone but I would assume most students just want to start working once they leave!
Criminology will give rise to a lot are public sector based jobs (prison, police, courts services, government, NHS) so that’s probs a good option.

Yeah I can understand University for a lot is to either pursue a degree specific career like medicine (which I’d say is one of very few jobs that actually require a degree, as much as people like to state their future career absolutely does) or pursue high education such as a doctorate or PhD in a field they want to become expert level in. But I wouldn’t say that’s me - for me this final year has been so tough (for educational and personal reasons) that I just cannot envision myself doing it all over again for a masters etc to just gain another qualification I may or may not need. I read a great article once that said people need to realise that sometimes a Masters is just extra debt and stress that was not needed in the first place and it honestly changed my entire perspective on university and how it’s not the be all and end all!
But thank you for your insight, it’s made me think a lot ☺️
Original post by Lily048

You can also get on to some really good masters degrees with a 2:2 at some good universities (it helps if you get a bit of work experience). I know someone who did a PhD, they had a 2:2 at undergrad. They got on to a masters, did pretty well, and got accepted on to a PhD after that.

What subject are you studying if I can ask?
it's just a number. i was marked down because the examiners did not grasp my advanced thinking. their loss.
Unfortunately on this website there's this attitude in which people think anything less than a 2.1 means you're doomed forever when that's really not the case. I got a 2.2 in my undergraduate degree (although I did have severe extenuating circumstances so it was a miracle I even completed uni, let alone achieve anything more than a pass) and then went on to get a 2.1 in my postgrad. Luckily the Masters I want to do looks at my postgrad rather than my undergrad but even then, the admissions team focus heavily on work experience over a degree mark anyway.

There are lots of things you can do with a 2.2 and it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of
As others have said, getting a 2:2 isn't going to have any serious long-term effects on your future, unless your intention is to stay in academia to jump straight into a Masters degree, in which case it'll limit your choice of courses.

As far as employment prosects are concerned In the short-term, it will most likely mean that your starting salary in a graduate job will be lower, and you'll need to keep an open mind about the kinds of jobs/organisations you apply to work at.

A 2:2 might mean that some of the top graduate schemes in large organisations end up being out-of-reach, but as long as you stay flexible, you'll still be able to find plenty of opportunities at smaller and medium-sized organisations. (Later on in your career once you have a few years of solid experience, those big organisations won't care about your degree anyway, and you might have an easier time applying for a good Masters degree later on too)

When you're applying to and interviewing for those jobs, your degree classification will only be one factor in somebody's decision to hire you; employers will also want to know what kind of person you are and what your attitude is to work and learning; your interpersonal skills and written/verbal communication skills will be important, and so will your enthusiasm for the kinds of jobs you'll be applying for, and whether you have potential to grow and progress, as well as whether you'd be a good fit for the culture of the organisation you'd be working in. None of these things really have anything to do with your degree classification, but being the "right" kind of person can very often put you ahead of other candidates - including candidates who might have graduated with a better degree than yours.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lily048

Employers don't care about the differences between the level of degree you have. just that you have a degree.

Unless you're from Oxford or Cambridge, it doesn't matter.

Some jobs may ask for a 2:1 or a 1st, but almost all my friends got into a job that asked for that when they had a 2:2, 3rd or not even a degree but a HND (me being one of them).
Reply 17
Original post by jestersnow
You can also get on to some really good masters degrees with a 2:2 at some good universities (it helps if you get a bit of work experience). I know someone who did a PhD, they had a 2:2 at undergrad. They got on to a masters, did pretty well, and got accepted on to a PhD after that.

What subject are you studying if I can ask?

I’m studying Criminology Undergraduate Degree with Honours :smile:
Frankly, I'd be embarassed to graduate from university with 2.2 if I know I am capable of higher and this applies to any degree.
Reply 19
There's so much opportunities for those who graduate with a 2:2 (e.g. Civil fast stream, BDO, Lloyd's Banking, RBS, Ladbrokes sales and trading division all requiring a min 2:2). Many small firms just ask that you have completed a degree, so if you search for trainee jobs (in particular in sales or finance such as financial advisory) you will find a lot. If not, I'd recommend going on graduate talent pool, and applying for graduate internships to gain experience (there are many that pay above average salary), and then apply to trainee jobs before your contract finishes.

Also don't be afraid to email companies in regards to their entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending