The Student Room Group

Some advice on dropping Sixth form?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quickmagma
You going to silence me? I can give you proof if that what you want.

Listen. You can study whatever God damn course you like, just do it at top uni. Not ****ing Plymouth. Also geology is relatively **** compared to say Mathematics. And sure show me the proof to disprove the statements above
Original post by James_greddall
how are you a teacher? I AM NOT ON ABOUT THEM DOING WELL. I'm talking about them doing well relative to top RG grads like those from imperial oxbridge ucl etc also btw, I firmly belive that those with such delusional views should be told the truth hence me being somewhat rude and to the point

No need for personal insults - rudeness just weakens every argument.

It's not that clear cut in Engineering. Newer uni grads can walk into jobs requiring experience so they are already one step ahead and that just carries on.
Op, listen. Don't listen to the other posters. Like me their all biased because they've all failed and except for two done btec and failed relative to everyone at RG UNIS
Original post by Muttley79

It's not that clear cut in Engineering. Newer uni grads can walk into jobs requiring experience so they are already one step ahead and that just carries on.

Apologies. I know I shouldn't be rude but when will you acknowledge that in general top RG graduates and those study study A levels over betcs do better in general. You have acknowledge that even though I've been saying for several posts nowadays that is what's frustrating me
My bad- I was typing fast. Yes I agree Russell group is a self selected group but the vast majority of good unis are in the group with some exceptions like Lancaster. But in general their the ones you need to attend to say you went to a decent uni. I think many I will not have many fans but a well paid job is more likely if you attend a Russell group university than a bs btec.

Just saying but my mate is predicted D* D* D* at Btec Business and got offers at
- Mancester
- Durham
- Leeds
- Nottingham

I don't think you realise btecs are on the rise and if you can get on them early, I recon they're an easier path to university.
Original post by itsmatthere
Just saying but my mate is predicted D* D* D* at Btec Business and got offers at
- Mancester
- Durham
- Leeds
- Nottingham

I don't think you realise btecs are on the rise and if you can get on them early, I recon they're an easier path to university.

For what course. And he must be good to get such good predicted grades so hats off to him. I think btecs are more work. There's just a lot of practical things you have to do and it seems time consuming. Also he could have probably got offers witb only AAA for that same course if he had done A levels
Listen. You can study whatever God damn course you like, just do it at top uni. Not ****ing Plymouth. Also geology is relatively **** compared to say Mathematics. And sure show me the proof to disprove the statements above

You are focusing on the uni that is the bottom of my list. Leicester is my top at the moment. Relatively **** that's a matter of opinion of what your interests are. If you work your way in oil you can earn up to a £120,000 if you became a senior well site geologist.
https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/Geology-Career-Pathways/Careers/Salary-Information#Mining
How many betcs are their at OXBRIDGE or top London unis?
For what course. And he must be good to get such good predicted grades so hats off to him. I think btecs are more work. There's just a lot of practical things you have to do and it seems time consuming. Also he could have probably got offers witb only AAA for that same course if he had done A levels

Take my comment back*

He did actually run a business in his spare time, I believe that might have been what brightened up his application on UCAS. (Can't guarantee though)
You are focusing on the uni that is the bottom of my list. Leicester is my top at the moment. Relatively **** that's a matter of opinion of what your interests are. If you work your way in oil you can earn up to a £120,000 if you became a senior well site geologist.
https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/Geology-Career-Pathways/Careers/Salary-Information#Mining
Nice but statistically speaking how many of te geologist earn that compared to the Maths grads?
I end my tirade. Truth is that im just a sorry Btec student who failed his A levels, dropped out in yr 12 results day and is bitter at those A level imperial students. I'm a failure myself so sorry about my rudeness. I'm just think life will be so much better for those A level imperial grads
(edited 6 years ago)
Nice but statistically speaking how many of te geologist earn that compared to the Maths grads?

There is this as well I know its the US but its the same principle. The wage is relatively similar whilst maths gets you more money faster it caps a lot lower as according to these articles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2015/11/22/make-degree-geology-salary-survey-reports/#45397082cfac
https://collegegrad.com/careers/mathematicians-and-statisticians
I end my tirade. Truth is that im just a sorry Btec student who failed his A levels, dropped out in yr 12 results day and is bitter at those A level imperial students. I'm a failure myself so sorry about my rudeness. I'm just think life will be so much better for those A level imperial grads

Original post by itsmatthere
- Mancester
- Durham
- Leeds
- Nottingham

Original post by Muttley79

Look I did lose my temper when I dished out personal insults for that I am sorry. However, I do stand by my points.
Original post by Agent456
I absolutely hate it at Sixth form. It is too strict, they still treat you like a child, all my friends have gone to college and I am stuck with people I don't like in Sixth form and I really feel like dropping out. I am in year 12.

Be honest with yourself about your reasons for wanting to leave.

When you say it's too strict at school and you'd rather go to college, are you hoping you wouldn't have to work so hard at college? That you wouldn't have teachers on your back all the time trying to ensure you keep up with the work?
I know some schools have seemingly petty rules but before you make a decision make sure it's the right long term decision for you and not just an easier option for the next couple of years.

College is the right choice for some people but not all.
Look I did lose my temper when I dished out personal insults for that I am sorry. However, I do stand by my points.

Yeah I'm sorry. I don't even have an offer for London met I'm doing an accountancy apprenticeship so I cant really judge anyone. Life shite when your not an oxbridge or RG student
Original post by phys981
Be honest with yourself about your reasons for wanting to leave.

When you say it's too strict at school and you'd rather go to college, are you hoping you wouldn't have to work so hard at college? That you wouldn't have teachers on your back all the time trying to ensure you keep up with the work?
I know some schools have seemingly petty rules but before you make a decision make sure it's the right long term decision for you and not just an easier option for the next couple of years.

College is the right choice for some people but not all.
your so right
So many unis accept btec and a levels, just look into the requirements for the course you want to do and there you have it ! Btecs aren’t useless as long as you have the good grades and subjects you need to go on to uni or work ... and tech is much more independent and you don’t get the drive from teachers as much at a level, but if that’s what you’re looking for maybe Btec is the right option for you!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 58
Okay you're interesting in going into Engineering, then you need to think about a few questions:
a) Do I want to go to University to study Engineering and then find a job afterwards or during?
b) If I do want to go to University what level of study am I aiming for? e.g Top-level at Cambridge/ Imperial or Medium-level at a less-prestigious University but easier to get an offer
c) What would I need to get into said University, does it require specific A-levels or just UCAS points?
d) Could I find an engineering firm to allow me to study/work at the same time?

If you need specific A-levels or subjects which you aren't learning right now like Maths or Physics it may be worthwhile to restart Sixth Form at an alternative college to put you in the best position to follow your aspirations or maybe try switching subjects, though since it is late in the year you may not be able to do this easily. Its a tough decision but either way I would recommend at least completing Sixth Form somewhere. Any qualifications > No qualifications.
Original post by shannonpdconnor
So many unis accept btec and a levels, just look into the requirements for the course you want to do and there you have it ! Btecs aren’t useless as long as you have the good grades and subjects you need to go on to uni or work ... and tech is much more independent and you don’t get the drive from teachers as much at a level, but if that’s what you’re looking for maybe Btec is the right option for you!

Why can't I get into oxbridge then. I'm predicted DDD in accountancy level 3 at my college. Why cabt I get into somewhere likeimperial then when btecs are equivalent

Quick Reply

Latest