The Student Room Group

Transferring from Europe to the UK

Hi all. A very stressed parent

My son didn't get his grades in 2016. He wanted to study dentistry so applied to plovdiv in Bulgaria.

He successfully completed his first year. During his second year (around November 2017), a couple of his friends texted me from plovdiv saying my son hasn't been attending any classes. When he came home for the Christmas break we had some discussions and he told me he was feeling very lonely and depressed and couldn't get motivated. He went to see our gp

He started the new term in January. We speak daily and he keeps telling us all is well. Yesterday I took a call from his friend saying he's started to skip classes again

Upon speaking to my son, he has the same feeling as before. We are seriously discussing the possibility of bringing him back home next week for good

He won't get into dentistry here so we shall discuss with him to start another degree closer to home (either commute or pop down every few days)

This would be his first degree in the UK. How would he start the application process? And the funding process (his current course is self funded)

Thanks all
Original post by You5uf

My son didn't get his grades in 2016. He wanted to study dentistry so applied to plovdiv in Bulgaria.

He successfully completed his first year. During his second year (around November 2017), a couple of his friends texted me from plovdiv saying my son hasn't been attending any classes. When he came home for the Christmas break we had some discussions and he told me he was feeling very lonely and depressed and couldn't get motivated. He went to see our gp

He started the new term in January. We speak daily and he keeps telling us all is well. Yesterday I took a call from his friend saying he's started to skip classes again

Upon speaking to my son, he has the same feeling as before. We are seriously discussing the possibility of bringing him back home next week for good

He won't get into dentistry here so we shall discuss with him to start another degree closer to home (either commute or pop down every few days)

This would be his first degree in the UK. How would he start the application process? And the funding process (his current course is self funded)

Thanks all

Is there any chance he could resit and get another shot at dentistry? Otherwise his application and student finance process will be the same as usual i.e through UCAS and SFE.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Is there any chance he could resit and get another shot at dentistry? Otherwise his application and student finance process will be the same as usual i.e through UCAS and SFE.

Thanks. Yes that is certainly 1 option.

For Ucas, is it a case of just signing up?
Original post by You5uf
Thanks. Yes that is certainly 1 option.

For Ucas, is it a case of just signing up?

The website is here. Spend some time on it and do some research :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
The website is here. Spend some time on it and do some research :smile:

Will do thanks. Assuming he's missed the deadline for Sep so would have to look at clearing
Original post by You5uf
Will do thanks. Assuming he's missed the deadline for Sep so would have to look at clearing

Oh sorry i assumed you were looking at entry for next year. Yes you will have to sign up for clearing at this stage but I would suggest letting him come home at this stage and getting some help for his mental health first. Then decide on what he wants to do and apply next year. Mental health issues don't just go away and they do take time to become manageable. They will affect him without the proper support no matter where he is so the time away from study to recover will help.
Reply 6
Some universities still accept applications throughout the year. Do your research online, find the courses he likes, and contact the uni's directly and they will be able to help. Ideally, I would also say attend an Open Day, Visit Day, or similar, as this is a fab way to get a feel for the uni. I would, however, also recommend still signing up for clearing, as this is likely to be the most straight forward process.
Original post by You5uf

Thanks all

Get your son to go to a doctor and get diangosed for anxiety and depression. He should also make appointments and see the unis welfare team and finally see the personal tutor about this.

The important thing is to have evidence as to why he gave up the course.

Check with SFE on whether attendance on the course affects student finance. I think there is a possibility it will, even if you are paying yourself and then you will need evidence of the reason you lost.

Get him back home and settled.

He can either apply for a degree starting Sept 2018 or one starting 2019. there is a danger he could rush into a disaster.

As said by PQ.

Application is via UCAS. He needs to get an idea of what he wants to do either as a degree or a career.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/ucas-undergraduate-getting-started

His application for student finance is via SFE.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending