The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hysterria
Thanks to everyone who's replied! Based on the responses I've made a wee list of reasons to choose both unis, here it is:

Edinburgh
* More prestigious -> helpful for employment/further study
* I'll probably fit in better with the student body
* More/better facilities (presumably)
* More interesting city, more to do, better transport links etc

Aberdeen
* Better course rankings (not sure whether that'll be any advantage at all though)
* Campus uni
* I like the course content better
* Staff seem more friendly, it all seems a bit more personal, I liked the overall "feel" of the university much more than at Edinburgh

Based on this list, which uni do you think I should choose?

who tf gave you the highlighted one? blatantly false

Prestige being helpful for employment is a bit dubious as well. Opinions on here about that are pretty much all over the place even though only a small proportion of the overall membership posting is actually in any meaningful employment (they don't call it the student room for nuthin). Seeing as your degree is kinda medical related I have a feeling employers in that sector will care more about how well you did rather than the uni it came from.

Original post by ScotDoc
Aberdeen's night life is fantastic also, I have been out in Edinburgh but found it not as good tbh and most people I speak to agree Aberdeen weirdly has a good nightlife scene on par or better than Glasgow

wot
Original post by Retired_Messiah

Prestige being helpful for employment is a bit dubious as well. Opinions on here about that are pretty much all over the place even though only a small proportion of the overall membership posting is actually in any meaningful employment (they don't call it the student room for nuthin). Seeing as your degree is kinda medical related I have a feeling employers in that sector will care more about how well you did rather than the uni it came from.

wot

Preferences really, Glasgow can be overhyped - taxis are expensive, bouncers are dicks, drinks are expensive, clubs are expensive
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't have much time now but I'll probably PM you later today or tomorrow, thanks! :smile:

Original post by ScotDoc
Yep, uni is a scary prospect, I 100% understand how you feel as I was the same! Also the weather isn't the best up here so there is that but you learn to adapt!

Off topic but if either of you fancy learning to paraglide in your free time there-s a great school started up nr aberdeen :yes:

(also :rofl: at the tartan umbrella!)
Original post by PQ
Off topic but if either of you fancy learning to paraglide in your free time there-s a great school started up nr aberdeen :yes:

Someone needs to design a tartan paraglider.
Original post by PQ

Hahaha I will give it a little look thanks
Original post by ScotDoc
Yep, uni is a scary prospect, I 100% understand how you feel as I was the same! Also the weather isn't the best up here so there is that but you learn to adapt!

Haha yes I'm a bit nervous about the weather - my hometown is rainy as **** though so I guess the rain won't be much of a problem, I'm quite worried about it just being overcast and cold all year :')

Original post by Retired_Messiah

I've seen people mentioning that the students at Edinburgh are more intellectual and open-minded, although I'm obviously unsure whether this is true. Thanks for your opinion! :smile:

Original post by PQ

Oooohh sounds good :biggrin: Definitely will check that out!

(tbh I love tartan hehe, it's the real reason i'm going to scotland)
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I'm really unsure of what to do, advice would be more than welcome :smile:

This may seem very simplistic but I think we have an instinctive feel for the place which is right for us and I think that counts for a lot and should not be ignored. Course content is vital and an environment which feels right as it is not all about studying. Do not be fearful of making your own decision even if others expectations of that decision differ from yours.
Original post by howitoughttobe
It's still just anecdotal evidence of the handful of engineers that you happen to have worked with. Doesn't really mean anything tbh.

Everything you get shut down with seems to be purely "anecdotal evidence".
Original post by SubZero~
Everything you get shut down with seems to be purely "anecdotal evidence".

Boy I sure wish an empirical data fairy existed where someone could just click their fingers and get data to back them up.. oh wait, not everything is tracked and some evidence can only be purely anecdotal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

Hey!

This definitely went through my mind when I was applying to universities and I think that we're kind of forced to think that the higher ranking unis are always the best option! I completely see where people are coming from when they say certain employers favour certain unis and that can often be because of other associations that the uni is linked with but I imagine Neuroscience is a long course and you want to be as happy and cosy as possible during that time! :biggrin:

It sounds like in terms of which you feel more comfortable with, the choice is clear! I would recommend as a step to take if you haven't yet: Have a look at the modules on each course. Even though they both Neuroscience, you may find that the module structure on one of the courses interests you or suits you a little better! Just an extra thought! :bigsmile:

I hope you have a great time no matter where you choose!

Ben
Original post by howitoughttobe
Engineering definitely do. I'm studying an engineering degree and have family in engineering and where your degree is from is important. And generally office roles tend to favour the more prestigious unis.

What absolute rubbish. Which sectorof engineering. I graduated from what was an old polytechnic for my engineering degree and have always held a desk job.

Further than that I also have a MSc in engineering again from a low/mid ranking university. This hasn’t caused me any problems. In many cases it has put me ahead of many oxbridge graduate, yes they may know the theory better than me, but the university’s I attended taught how to apply this in industry.

I never had good grades at school and have worked my arse off getting where I am. Now I am doing a part time PhD while working at a RG university in Maths.

I turned down imperial and Cambridge After my interviews as I didn’t get on with the supervisor. The university I am at now is still a RG uni, but the supervisor and professors seem more approachable and happy to discuss any issues that come up with the research
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 271
I would advise you to consider the years you will spend at that particular. Will you still like it the time you finish your course?
Distance
How they teach
Also know it’s you going to study not your family or friends so u need to know or guess what works/will work for you. What matters to me is I qualify with good grades so I have to look for all factors that favour me personally.

I have turned down 2 top universities and I’m going to go with the one that I strongly believe will support me in my own way of understanding and learning.

Open days helped me a lot and talking to former students also does.
Good luck 😉 with whatever decision you make but FOLLOW YOUR HEART
Reply 272
The reality is that employers take very little interest in "prestige". This comment will usually generate hoards of "yeah, but in my discipline you *have* to have a degree from a RG university!", usually from naïve UG students attempting to trick themselves into believing that the mere name of the alma mata will be enough to secure their dream job.

Any employer that values their employees will take a successful, happy graduate from a non-RG university over a low-grade, miserable graduate from a RG university. I wish there was some way to communicate to both UG applicants and UG students that the "prestige" concept is a total myth. Go to the university/course that suits you :smile:
Reply 273
Original post by stevieb_uae
What absolute rubbish. Which sectorof engineering. I graduated from what was an old polytechnic for my engineering degree and have always held a desk job.

Further than that I also have a MSc in engineering again from a low/mid ranking university. This hasn’t caused me any problems. In many cases it has put me ahead of many oxbridge graduate, yes they may know the theory better than me, but the university’s I attended taught how to apply this in industry.

I never had good grades at school and have worked my arse off getting where I am. Now I am doing a part time PhD while working at a RG university in Maths

I'm full-time PhD at a RG university, after finishing BSc at non-RG university. Listen to this guy and others who have long-completed their degrees - "prestige" is a concept that can only be sold to the gullible.
Original post by JSC1
The reality is that employers take very little interest in "prestige". This comment will usually generate hoards of "yeah, but in my discipline you *have* to have a degree from a RG university!", usually from naïve UG students attempting to trick themselves into believing that the mere name of the alma mata will be enough to secure their dream job.

Any employer that values their employees will take a successful, happy graduate from a non-RG university over a low-grade, miserable graduate from a RG university. I wish there was some way to communicate to both UG applicants and UG students that the "prestige" concept is a total myth. Go to the university/course that suits you :smile:

Some it helps a lot. City finance and Law but others in my opinion not so much
.I'm from the US so my perspective is going to be a lot different. But, I did turn down a top university (number three in the nation for my course) in the US to come here to study at a lower-ranked University. In terms of teaching, I definitely would have done better if I had stayed at home. But, coming here, i have had opportunities I probably wouldn't have in my first year at the larger, more prestigious university at home. I think your experience is what ever you make of it, and if you feel like you'll be more comfortable at the lower ranked school, and you'll have the same or more opportunities, go for it. I do often regret not going to the higher ranked uni, just because sometimes I don't feel like I will be prepared for my future, but I remind myself that A) its cheaper, I'll be in less debt, and B) I have different opportunities that none of my friends who went to uni in the US will have.

Its not a perfect match to your situation, but hopefully it helps!

Hi TSR,

I got an offer from a prestigoirs uni (top 10) and i rejected it for a really low university jist becasue i enjoyed talking to staff more and i had a good feeling about it. BEST DECISION!! it doesnt matter which university u go to because when it comes to employment, people dont really care unless if you graduates from cambrudge or oxford. At the end of the day, all that matters is whether or not your degree is accredited and what u got in it. Plus, an accrediating body will not care about the league of a university before approving their course.

Go to the lowerr ranked uni, it will be much peaceful for u.
University "prestige" is mentioned constantly on TSR, but it has little relevance in the real world. Unless you're applying for something really exclusive like magic circle law or front office investment banking, where you went to university makes little difference. I'm saying this as someone who has 3 years professional experience in graduate level employment.

Look through the course, the city, the campus, the extra curricular opportunities and make a decision on what looks best for you. Only you can make that decision.
I have a similar problem. Got a conditional offer from UCL, but an unconditional offer from HULT. Feel like ghe prestigiousness of UCL will help me later if i get my degree from there...
Hi TSR,

Definitely go with what you prefer! When I applied I got an offer from warwick for biomedical science but it’s not an accredited course! So I went on to pursue a course at a lower league uni which is accredited and I don’t regret it at all! I get way more lab exposure and companies actually offer more jobs to students that go to my uni because we have a lot of lab experience! Especially for sciences, it’s definitelt more about the grade you come out with and the level of experience you have as opposed to what uni you did your undergrad degree at! Because you can go on to do a masters at a top uni if you really wanted too!

Do what you feel is the best option and also consider what you would be interested in doing in the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending