The Student Room Group

Advice needed for Oxbridge and LNAT. This is very long !

I am currently taking History, Economics and Sociology for A-Level and I want some honest advice on things to do with my application to Universities and their courses. This might be a little bit long...

I am very interested in practising Law in the future; emphasis being on practice and not study since I found that many qualified solicitors and barristers don't study Law and take the GDL later on so obviously this is an option for me too. However, I am definitely not sure about what other good courses there are out there other than Law that could be interesting and useful.

I am going to be applying to Oxbridge but I'm not sure to which Uni and for which courses. One option is Human, Social and Political Sciences at Cam or I can study Law at either University. I know my chances for getting into either are slim but I feel that me aspiring to apply to either is something that raises the standard of my learning and application. Bearing in mind, my GCSEs are 1 A** 7 A's 4 B's which I am aware is considerably lower than typical Oxbridge applicants. I am also currently taking part in Pathways to Law and have applied to LSE Choice and Summer School at Cam and I am waiting on replies.

If I do choose to study Law and apply to do so. I want some advice on whether I should take the LNAT or not. Historically, people from my state school have scored and I quote "really quite badly" in the LNAT which makes me hesitant to sit it. It is also important to note that Cambridge does not require the LNAT but Oxford does along with many of the top Law Uni's like Bristol, Durham, UCL etc. Realistically, I am definitely going to apply to some of these Uni's if I study Law and therefore should I just stick to Oxford or should I apply to Cambridge?

I know this is ridiculously long but essentially, the questions I am asking are:
Should I study Law and if not, what other courses would you suggest?
Am I in over my head attempting to apply to Oxbridge?
If I do apply to Oxbridge, which would be more favourable considering my situation?
Should I sit the LNAT?
If I do not get into Oxbridge, would this seriously harm my competitiveness in being part of the Bar in the future?

Thank you if you read all that, any advice is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
1. You don’t have to study Law. Study the subject that you’re passionate about. Only you can know what that is. If happens to be Law then study that.
2. I applied to oxford with GCSEs lower than the majority for law and got rejected. I applied to Oxbridge because I had nothing to lose, as do you. Some people have gotten into law at oxford with no A*s at GCSEs. You could be one of the lucky ones that gets in so don’t let your GCSEs deter you.
3. Check out the courses for both before you make a decision on which one to apply to, as well as their application processes. I personally applied to oxford because I liked it more and didn’t want to sit a test on the same day as I have multiple interviews (which is the case for Cambridge).
4. Do sit the LNAT as a lot of really good unis for Law require it, but also apply to ones that don’t in case it doesn’t go as well as you wish. The LNAT is all about practice - do plenty of papers in the run up to the real thing.
5. Short answer: no. Just make sure you go to a top uni and you’ll be fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lonyeka
1. You don’t have to study Law. Study the subject that you’re passionate about. Only you can know what that is. If happens to be Law then study that.
2. I applied to oxford with GCSEs lower than the majority for law and got rejected. I applied to Oxbridge because I had nothing to lose, as do you. Some people have gotten into law at oxford with no A*s at GCSEs. You could be one of the lucky ones that gets in so don’t let your GCSEs deter you.
3. Check out the courses for both before you make a decision on which one to apply to, as well as their application processes. I personally applied to oxford because I liked it more and didn’t want to sit a test on the same day as I have multiple interviews (which is the case for Cambridge).
4. Do sit the LNAT as a lot of really good unis for Law require it, but also apply to ones that don’t in case it doesn’t go as well as you wish. The LNAT is all about practice - do plenty of papers in the run up to the real thing.
5. Short answer: no. Just make sure you go to a top uni and you’ll be fine.

Thank you very much for reading all of that. What you said was very helpful and I am sure you're right, I need to choose the subject myself.

I have done my research but I can't find too many courses that I would see myself doing. There are a few, for example...
PPE at Oxford which I've heard is incredibly competitive
HSPS at Cambridge
Land Economy also at Cambridge

I think I am just going to get some guides and get practising for the LNAT and try my best. There are some other Universities that I could consider like LSE and Queen Mary which do not require LNAT.

Thank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending