The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tomlang
Where else did everyone apply? and has anyone received any further offers?

Applied for Glasgow, Sheffield and Aberdeen, still waiting to hear from all of them. What about yourself?
Leicester was my 3rd choice initially (Glasgow, sheffield leicester then aberdeen), but after going over the course structure at leicester and stuff I'm really really liking it, so now completely unsure haha, almost hoping to only get the 1 offer so don't have to make the difficult decision.
Reply 21
Original post by miledd
Applied for Glasgow, Sheffield and Aberdeen, still waiting to hear from all of them. What about yourself?
Leicester was my 3rd choice initially (Glasgow, sheffield leicester then aberdeen), but after going over the course structure at leicester and stuff I'm really really liking it, so now completely unsure haha, almost hoping to only get the 1 offer so don't have to make the difficult decision.

I was at first thinking that I wanted to go to Birmingham but then once I had my interview and saw the uni I changed my mind. Also Applied at Liverpool and HYMS get interviews so just waiting to hear back from Birmingham to see if I've got an offer then I can make a decision.

Are you from Scotland then or do you Just like those universities?
And good luck on making a decision 😂
Will anyone be going to the UCAS Visit Day on Saturday?
Original post by GrandMedic
Will anyone be going to the UCAS Visit Day on Saturday?

anyone going to the one in April?
Reply 24
What did you guys get in your GCSEs and A-levels and also how much extra curriculars did you do?
Reply 25
Original post by BeccaHeritage

Think i'll be going tot he one in april, the one this saturday is on paddy's day when I think i'll be, um, otherwise indisposed...
Original post by BeccaHeritage

Yeah I will be. Only realised there was one on Saturday today anyway.
Original post by peeked
What did you guys get in your GCSEs and A-levels and also how much extra curriculars did you do?

Well unless you're a gap year medic most of us haven't sat A-levels yet. In terms of GCSEs it really varies since the selection process for Leicester is 50:50 with UKCAT and GCSEs having equal weighting. So some will have a high UKCAT with lower GCSE scores while others will have stellar GCSEs with a fairly lower UKCAT.

Once at the interview all the matters is your interview performance and academics aren't look at to decide on offers.
Reply 28
Well unless you're a gap year medic most of us haven't sat A-levels yet. In terms of GCSEs it really varies since the selection process for Leicester is 50:50 with UKCAT and GCSEs having equal weighting. So some will have a high UKCAT with lower GCSE scores while others will have stellar GCSEs with a fairly lower UKCAT.

Once at the interview all the matters is your interview performance and academics aren't look at to decide on offers.

So what GCSEs did you get and what are your A-level predictions
Original post by peeked
So what GCSEs did you get and what are your A-level predictions

GCSEs: 8A*s, 4As
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*

I think this scoring document might be helpful to you. The cut-off this year for interview was around 55 (I think someone got an interview with 54 on TSR).

https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/medicine/applying/documents/Scoring%20of%20Applications%20A100-2018.pdf
Reply 30
Original post by peeked

GCSE’s 7A* 3A
A level prediction - AAA
UKCAT - 3020 (755)
About a week at a gp surgery and hospital and 2 years at a care home
Reply 31
GCSEs: 8A*s, 4As
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*

I think this scoring document might be helpful to you. The cut-off this year for interview was around 55 (I think someone got an interview with 54 on TSR).

https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/medicine/applying/documents/Scoring%20of%20Applications%20A100-2018.pdf

Wow those are some pretty good grades, have you got an offer yet and where else did you apply. Is Leicester considered a good university for medicine?
Original post by Tomlang
Where else did everyone apply? and has anyone received any further offers?

Got offer from Birmingham and Southampton as well. Originally preferred Birmingham after open day but now not sure!🤔
Reply 33
Is there an offer holders group on fb?
Original post by Zx12r1
Is there an offer holders group on fb?

Don’t think so I’ve looked but could find any
Original post by peeked
Wow those are some pretty good grades, have you got an offer yet and where else did you apply. Is Leicester considered a good university for medicine?

Yes I have (this IS the offer holders thread after all xD). I also applied to Exeter, Cambridge and Hull-York.

Leicester is absolutely a good university for medicine. Their facilities is probably the best I've seen.

The truth is every med school is equally good. A lot of applicants have it in their heads that russel-group unis are "better" for medicine. For other courses this might be applicable )for job prospects), but for medicine, this does not matter at all. You learn the same content and you get the same degree. In fact when you go on past med school it does not matter where you studied medicine and it doesn't come up in anything you apply. The med school you went to has no bearing on whether you'll be successful in a specialty application for example.
Yes I have (this IS the offer holders thread after all xD). I also applied to Exeter, Cambridge and Hull-York.

Leicester is absolutely a good university for medicine. Their facilities is probably the best I've seen.

The truth is every med school is equally good. A lot of applicants have it in their heads that russel-group unis are "better" for medicine. For other courses this might be applicable )for job prospects), but for medicine, this does not matter at all. You learn the same content and you get the same degree. In fact when you go on past med school it does not matter where you studied medicine and it doesn't come up in anything you apply. The med school you went to has no bearing on whether you'll be successful in a specialty application for example.

I second to this as soon-to-be leicester graduate. :smile:

Every uni will produce similar standard of docs which are competent. (there will be a new licensing exam at your final years nows so it will be a good objective indicator of the unis) However, As what is mentioned above, it has no effect whatsoever on your future career prospects. (maybe just on passing postgraduate exams or easier to get involved in research)
Reply 37
There’s a fb chat for Offer holders now
https://m.me/join/AbZvjNy5YfSmdUPs
Original post by Jckc123
I second to this as soon-to-be leicester graduate. :smile:

Every uni will produce similar standard of docs which are competent. (there will be a new licensing exam at your final years nows so it will be a good objective indicator of the unis) However, As what is mentioned above, it has no effect whatsoever on your future career prospects. (maybe just on passing postgraduate exams or easier to get involved in research)

Hi. Good luck on graduating.

How have you found the Leicester course? I know it would be different for everyone but what do you feel the overall pros and cons were?
Hi. Good luck on graduating.

How have you found the Leicester course? I know it would be different for everyone but what do you feel the overall pros and cons were?

Thanks.
It has its own ups and downs but overall i enjoyed it and I came out feeling satisfied.

From on top of my head now that i can think of (after a 10hour shift):
Pros:
a) A good balance of competency in knowledge, clinical sills and communication skills.
b) A lot of opportunities to learn (wards, clerkings, research, societies) as long you're proactive.
c) Med school is better at responding to feedback now compared to previous years + better feedback from assessments as well.
d) Overall supportive (pastoral support, academic support, personal tutors etc)
e) Integrative course in phase 1/pre-clinicals (mixture of lectures and group work + early patient exposure --> not whole week of dull lectures or just self-learning everything)
f) Clinicals/Phase 2 --> overall quite structured (although it will be different with the new curriculum for you guys). plenty of teaching, tutors mostly helpful and reciprocate to students. Junior doctors are amazing and they will be playing a major role of your learning in the hospital.

Cons:
a) Pre-clinicals: A huge variation in modules (bad neuro teaching --> this has been changed now), group work can be a hit or miss depending on your group mates and tutor. Essentially reading and more reading. Early patient experience may or may not be helpful. ( i personally didnt find them terribly exciting)
b) Clinicals : Some blocks are poorly organised especially being out of placements (but i heard they are improving). Some out of leicester placements are just terrible in terms of teaching and patients. You can learn literally from nothing to alot depending. (hence requiring alot of self-learning and consolidation) --> this is a brief summary and varies between individual.
Maybe our dear ForestCat can add her thoughts if she's keen. :wink:

In then end, I feel the course has prepared me enough although i still have a long way to go.

Latest

Trending

Trending