The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Must you? No.
Should you? When regarding my personal moral agenda, yes.
Would I? Not always. I try my hardest :wink2:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
If you can afford it, and actually want to

Just know that they might not use it for what you intended they use it for...

Don't be surprised if it goes on cigs or booze

although tbh, being on the streets is probably well depressive, some probably need the bottle to help cope.....
No one will force you but it is good too. Put yourself in his place, wouldnt you want the person walking by giving you something or even anything?
i gave a homeless man some food once , he threw it back at began to cuss at me

kind of been put of since , but occasionally if i have some spare change and see a homeless guy i would leave it for them
I don’t give people my money on the streets, as I don’t know what they are spending it on. I would prefer to give them food or a drink, then at least I am definitely helping.
Reply 6
Original post by ANM775

although tbh, being on the streets is probably well depressive, some probably need the bottle to help cope.....

We can give someone enough money for a meal but the next day they will be hungry again and giving them money is not a very good solution.Also you want them to actually spend the money on things like food not on drug or something like that.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I was on a walk today and a homeless man approached me asking for some money for a hostel I didn't have any he looked on the verge of tears I feel really bad when I see homeless people however I don't give them money as it is my parents' money not mine.

There's a lot of debate around the topic on what is best - do whatever you think is right. There's nothing morally right or wrong either way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/should-we-give-homeless-money-a8124951.html
Reply 8
We can give someone enough money for a meal but the next day they will be hungry again and giving them money is not a very good solution.Also you want them to actually spend the money on things like food not on drug or something like that.

So if you were hungry sitting on the road, would you like someone to just walk on by and not give you any money at all on the basis that tomorrow you'll just be hungry again?

No one's going to give you a deposit for a flat/house

The best you can reasonably hope for from a passer by is few pounds
I was on a walk today and a homeless man approached me asking for some money for a hostel I didn't have any he looked on the verge of tears I feel really bad when I see homeless people however I don't give them money as it is my parents' money not mine.

He was on the verge of tears because he was withdrawing from heroin, ketamine, crack or whatever else he takes, enabled by people giving him money. Homeless people always say the money is for a hostel, it isn't 99.9% of the time.

I never give homeless people money. They target people who they think have money to spare; the last homeless person who asked me for money said it was for a hostel and he asked me where I bought my shoes from because he said they looked expensive. I told him where I got them from and walked away without giving him any money. This was last night, this morning I saw him passed out on the ground around the same area with needles and syringes around him and the other homeless guy he got high with.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I've gone and bought some of the boys outside Lime St a 4 pack of special brew before today, whatever makes their night pass easier, yknow.
Reply 11
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i gave a homeless man some food once , he threw it back at began to cuss at me

lmao...

Spoiler

Original post by ANM775
lmao...

Spoiler

i haven't seen him since (this happened 2 years ago)

it's like he vanished after that

"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day.Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime."
Reply 14
Original post by Archon9
"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day.Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime."

You are going to take homeless people off the street and home school them to maths and English GCSE Grade C, buy them a suit ...and have them in your home whilst you monitor them applying for jobs?

Because that's what you're saying.

I don't because it is my parents' money but when I go out myself and take my own money then I'll probably buy them a sandwich, some water, or a McDonald's meal and a cup of tea if a McDonald's is nearby.
Original post by ANM775
You are going to take homeless people off the street and home school them to maths and English GCSE Grade C, buy them a suit ...and have them in your home whilst you monitor them applying for jobs?

Because that's what you're saying.

No, I think that we should give homeless people the means to basic education, and employ ability. This will effectively reform them and allow for them to stand on their own feet. I feel that this is a better long term solution then just giving them money, as this does not work in the long term and will not help them ultimately.

Think of it as people who are dying of thirst in Africa we can send them "emergency water" but at the end of the day when they have drunk that water they are effectively back in the same position as they were when they were at the start of the day! However if we build wells in Africa that provide people with a reliable water source they will not need to be continually given water so both sides win. The comparison was only there for perspective and was not suppose to be taken literally.
(edited 6 years ago)
I usually do if I'm in a rush, if I'm not in a rush I'll buy something for them such as food, water etc
I think if a homeless person asks you for money for something (other than hotels) you could offer to buy it for them, as in go into the shop and buy it and give it to them. If they agree then your money is going to a good cause, if they protest then I wouldn't recommend giving it to them because the money could end up doing more harm than good. That being said, I have given money in the past when homeless people have asked me so they can buy food/drink because I can't lie and say I don't have any money if I do but I don't know really how my money was used in those instances and I did think afterwards should I have given them money?

I'm not saying don't help them, I just think there are better ways to help than money which can be used for destructive purposes.
Original post by ANM775

Look on the bright side, if they are addicted to some substance and you give them money, then for that day they don't need to resort to crime in order to fund their addiction.

Yeah, I wouldn't nessecarily give 'homeless' people any money as you don't really know if they are 'homeless' at all. In fact a person who used to be homeless came into our school to raise awareness about homelessness. One of the interesting things he said is that homeless people don't tend to sleep on the main road as they usually choose more quiet and secluded places

Although I do donate to charities that help homeless people.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending