The Student Room Group

Laptop/iPad advice for Law students

Hi

I’m beginning a Law course at uni soon. Please can someone advise on the recommended/popular laptops /tablets to take to lectures. Does everyone really have a MacBook?

Thanks
Original post by Yoshi123456
Hi

I’m beginning a Law course at uni soon. Please can someone advise on the recommended/popular laptops /tablets to take to lectures. Does everyone really have a MacBook?

Thanks

No. Not everyone has a Macbook. They're completely unnecessary and for me, the keyboard feels horrible for long durations of typing.

I'll move this over to the Laptops subforum. Do you plan to do gaming/other non-office based tasks?
For work mostly. Very little gaming. Maybe watching films etc.

Thanks!
Hi

Thanks

Depends on you and how you work.

Light and small would be a target although the biggest thing is to determine your budget. Not everyone has a mac and nor do you need one.

Wait as long as possible as prices are always coming down or specs up.
et what you can afford and meets your needs.
I would say make sure your pc has at least a 250gb SSD and a keyboard you like typing on.
Reply 4
Hi

Thanks

I have a Macbook Air, very good for what I want it to do. I got it on the cheap as an American Soldier was selling it here for what it would go for in America - - $500 or something so I bought in the pound equilavant haha But, you don't need one, just get any decent budget laptop, noone needs a flashy laptop to study lol Also use a Samsung S2 Tablet which decently price and thats sooo good!
Thank you for your comments. I will keep researching based on your advice.
Thank you for your comments. I will keep researching based on your advice.

What's your ideal and maximum budgets?
Say £500-800. Could be more though. Quite flexible. Want to get something that I will be happy with and that will last.
Say £500-800. Could be more though. Quite flexible. Want to get something that I will be happy with and that will last.

Well for £500 you could get a perfectly decent 15" laptop with a Core i5 that will happily do the basic tasks you want it for now, for the duration of your course. For closer to £800 you could go one of two ways- get something slimmer and lighter that's easier to carry around with you with perks like sharper displays and all-SSD storage, or something with more power that gives you the option to game on it if you decided you wanted to in future.

For £500 this Dell is an excellent deal, with a new 8th gen i5 processor where most laptops are only running dual core 6th/7th gen models, a 1080p display for video watching, and even comes with an entry level GPU that will handle older AAA games at low settings. If you wanted to go down the thin & light route, this 13.3" Asus model weighs a paltry 1.2kg, has an excellent high res screen for movies, and comes with a solid chunk of solid state storage. Finally if you wanted something with more graphics headroom, this Asus laptop has a solid GTX 1050 graphics card paired with a fully clocked Core i5 (most cheaper laptops use underclocked "U" models to better conserve battery life) and a combination of both SSD storage for rapid boot times and a large HDD for mass storage.
GOFRE

Many thanks. This is all very useful. I will google your suggestions and make a decision. Many thanks once again.
I mean, i'm still at school and my mum agreed to get me an iPad pro with a keyboard and apple pencil and I think that's quite good for things and you can also get Word and stuff like that on it but in perspective of a student I think a laptop would be better, I would say MacBook, but they are VERY pricey and I do not know much about laptops. Are you going to get a PC to work on as well as a laptop?
Hi

Thanks

You go Girl be a strong independent lawyer and revise and conquer!!! Theology is key!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending