The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Can I get into psychology with a B at GCSE?

As the title says.
be more specific???? a B in what???? Psychology??
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by imundercover
be more specific???? a B in what???? Psychology??

Oops - maths! I thought I put the subject in the title but my bad!

Also, what would happen if you got a C in psychology? Asking for a friend.
Original post by Traore

I can't speak on behalf of all colleges / six-forms, but i know at my college the minimum 'required grade' was a B in maths... yet they still let people on the course who clearly didn't get a B.

Just note that (for my specification, at least) the exam will contain a minimum of 10% math-based questions, so make sure you at least know the basic skills involved if you do pursue Psychology, because theres so much content - the maths is the easy bit.
i would like to add though, my friend (who went to a different college) wasn't allowed onto the Psychology course with a C in maths... i think the best option would be to check with the colleges you're considering to see if they are more lenient or not when it comes to the requirements.
Reply 5
I can't speak on behalf of all colleges / six-forms, but i know at my college the minimum 'required grade' was a B in maths... yet they still let people on the course who clearly didn't get a B.

Just note that (for my specification, at least) the exam will contain a minimum of 10% math-based questions, so make sure you at least know the basic skills involved if you do pursue Psychology, because theres so much content - the maths is the easy bit.

Thanks. The website does say A but I wasn't sure.
I got in with a B in gcse maths even though the requirement says A. There is 0 maths content on the course so I honestly don't know why they choose to put A as the requirement. We have stats modules but we use a programme which does all the maths for us so again, a B is perfectly acceptable. Take your chances and apply, I wasn't sure they would accept me with a B but they did. I will be going in to my final year in September, I am currently on placement (where I still don't need an A in maths)
Original post by Traore

Also, what would happen if you got a C in psychology? Asking for a friend.

Does the sixth form specify you’d need an A in Maths to take psychology A-Level?

I seriously doubt it. There are a few people I know who retake maths while doing psychology A-Level, that being said those people do struggle... At my sixth form it was specified that you needed a C in Science for some reason.

But yeah. You don’t need to do anymore than pass maths to take psychology A-Level.
Original post by beaverhausen
I got in with a B in gcse maths even though the requirement says A. There is 0 maths content on the course so I honestly don't know why they choose to put A as the requirement. We have stats modules but we use a programme which does all the maths for us so again, a B is perfectly acceptable. Take your chances and apply, I wasn't sure they would accept me with a B but they did. I will be going in to my final year in September, I am currently on placement (where I still don't need an A in maths)

^ As this user said.

There’s statistics involved, and you may be asked to analyse data, correlations etc. But there’s essentially no maths. Basic percentage calculations at best. Something that a C in Maths leaves you capable of.
i would like to add though, my friend (who went to a different college) wasn't allowed onto the Psychology course with a C in maths... i think the best option would be to check with the colleges you're considering to see if they are more lenient or not when it comes to the requirements.

This really depends on the college/sixth form your thinking of attending. Your aim should be - to at least - meet all the requirements to study Psychology at A-Level. A-Levels in Psychology and Biology would really help you get into good universities in the future.

For example in my sixth form, the requirements were a B in English and a B in any Humanities subject.
Reply 10
Original post by FloralHybrid
Does the sixth form specify you’d need an A in Maths to take psychology A-Level?

I seriously doubt it. There are a few people I know who retake maths while doing psychology A-Level, that being said those people do struggle... At my sixth form it was specified that you needed a C in Science for some reason.

But yeah. You don’t need to do anymore than pass maths to take psychology A-Level.

I wasn't clear, I meant at uni! I'm doing it at A-Level.
Original post by Traore
I wasn't clear, I meant at uni! I'm doing it at A-Level.

Ahh - Then yep, same again - Unless the course specifies it wants an A in Maths GCSE - Then you’re totally fine.

Quick Reply

Latest