The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Making friends at UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SherlockD
I started at UCL in September 2017, and I’m similar to you ( I don’t drink, nor go clubbing nor smoke). Now the biggest issue I faced in making friends is that there are soooo many Chinese people that already know each other ( they all come from China from top elite schools) so it’s hard to integrate with them.

The best way to know people is through Facebook freshers chats and subject chats, I think beforehand so when you do meet them, you have something to talk about.

Ultimately it’s up to you, if you are outgoing it’ll be easy by if you ain’t outgoing like myself, it takes you out of your comfort zone and teaches you to build rapport which is important in the work life.

Do pm me if you want any info about UCL in general

Yeah online things were my plan, thank you very much! 😊
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I started at UCL in September 2017, and I’m similar to you ( I don’t drink, nor go clubbing nor smoke). Now the biggest issue I faced in making friends is that there are soooo many Chinese people that already know each other ( they all come from China from top elite schools) so it’s hard to integrate with them.

The best way to know people is through Facebook freshers chats and subject chats, I think beforehand so when you do meet them, you have something to talk about.

Ultimately it’s up to you, if you are outgoing it’ll be easy by if you ain’t outgoing like myself, it takes you out of your comfort zone and teaches you to build rapport which is important in the work life.

Do pm me if you want any info about UCL in general

oh cool, I'm a first year too! What do you study??
Original post by NutellaLatte
oh cool, I'm a first year too! What do you study??

Economics. You?
Hey, I've firmed UCL for Theoretical Physics :smile: are there any group chats or anything?
Economics. You?

psychology with education :smile:
psychology with education :smile:

Niiiiice, how’ve u found UCL so far? Only one week of teaching left and I don’t feel like I’m ready for exams !
Niiiiice, how’ve u found UCL so far? Only one week of teaching left and I don’t feel like I’m ready for exams !

I'm actually shocked at fast it has gone tbh I'm literally working on one of three last assignments due. I'm going to miss being a fresher :/ I honestly love it at UCL! everyone is so lovely and i love what i am learning, but nooo i'm so not ready for exams!

What about you?? How are you finding it? :smile:
I'm actually shocked at fast it has gone tbh I'm literally working on one of three last assignments due. I'm going to miss being a fresher :/ I honestly love it at UCL! everyone is so lovely and i love what i am learning, but nooo i'm so not ready for exams!

What about you?? How are you finding it? :smile:

Honestly been an eye opening experience. Loved the social side of things but academically , I’m really stressed about exams. Given that it’s at ExCel London, can you imagine how difficult the journey there will be?
Honestly been an eye opening experience. Loved the social side of things but academically , I’m really stressed about exams. Given that it’s at ExCel London, can you imagine how difficult the journey there will be?

I know, why did they choose the ExCel it's so far from UCL and I commute from South London so it's going to be a 2hr journey ;( I have one exam at 10:00 and I'm already thinking of getting a hotel the night before because I cannot risk being late.
Original post by rainabridget
I've been accepted into UCL (Civil Eng) and I'm probably going to put it as my firm, however, I was wondering how hard it is to make friends? Right now I have friends but we're not really close and don't hang out at all after school, so I'm just kind of alone (which I can deal with, for now). Since UCL is in London and doesn't really have a campus, how hard is it? Also I don't do clubbing and drinking so I'm worried about freshers. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Also, if anyone reading this is also thinking of putting it as their firm, are you worried?

Original post by jim1999
Yeah same me being a Muslim as well means I'll not be drinking and clubbing I just want to chill play play pool and stuff

Original post by zm2088
Lol I've put UCL as my firm and I am not really on that partying vibe either, it should be fine :smile:

Yooo I've firmed UCL too, have you guys finished off your accommodation and all that?
Original post by Perfection Ace
Yooo I've firmed UCL too, have you guys finished off your accommodation and all that?

Nah I have to wait for some things- it’s killing me 😩 I have to wait until the start of April
Nah I have to wait for some things- it’s killing me 😩 I have to wait until the start of April

Ohhh right, how come? I'm not sure whether to wait and complete my student finance application or just go ahead and get it out of the way :/
Ohhh right, how come? I'm not sure whether to wait and complete my student finance application or just go ahead and get it out of the way :/

I’ve applied to this Oxford foundation year w/ lower entry grades (not via UCAS) so I wanna wait to hear about that first :smile: and my twin did her finance first but also kinda at the same time 😅 I don’t know how it works as of yet but I’d probably get it outta the way :smile:
I’ve applied to this Oxford foundation year w/ lower entry grades (not via UCAS) so I wanna wait to hear about that first :smile: and my twin did her finance first but also kinda at the same time 😅 I don’t know how it works as of yet but I’d probably get it outta the way :smile:

Ahhh cool cool, yeah I'll probably get it done and over with. All the best with your application by the way :P
Ahhh cool cool, yeah I'll probably get it done and over with. All the best with your application by the way :P

Thank you! I really wish I could get this out the way though 😩 I know where I’d like to stay in UCL though, although I don’t think we get to choose exactly 🤷🏽*♀️ what will you study?
Thank you! I really wish I could get this out the way though 😩 I know where I’d like to stay in UCL though, although I don’t think we get to choose exactly 🤷🏽*♀️ what will you study?

Yeah, hopefully it gets sorted out soon for you. I'm going to be studying pharmacy if I get AAB but tbh I feel like dropping out of sixth form lol its too much

on the UCL accommodation portal, you get to choose the specific house for intercollegiate halls only, the others are just random btw. I just International Hall as my first option, where would you wanna stay?
Yeah, hopefully it gets sorted out soon for you. I'm going to be studying pharmacy if I get AAB but tbh I feel like dropping out of sixth form lol its too much

on the UCL accommodation portal, you get to choose the specific house for intercollegiate halls only, the others are just random btw. I just International Hall as my first option, where would you wanna stay?

Are there any en-suite rooms in the intercollegiate halls? and is it only self-catered?

Ahh I have no idea if I can get AAA either but all I can do is try I suppose 😅 :smile: ah fair do’s- I like the idea of those but I want to be self-catered so I’m going to opt for student houses. I like the Camden area though, I don’t want to be too close so that I’m forced to walk to campus as exercise 😂 just think there’s not too long of sixth form left tho! :smile:
Original post by Mikasadoge
Are there any en-suite rooms in the intercollegiate halls? and is it only self-catered?

I think like 80% of all rooms are ensuite, a couple of intercollegiate halls are catered (I think Garden Halls and another one).
Ahh I have no idea if I can get AAA either but all I can do is try I suppose 😅 :smile: ah fair do’s- I like the idea of those but I want to be self-catered so I’m going to opt for student houses. I like the Camden area though, I don’t want to be too close so that I’m forced to walk to campus as exercise 😂 just think there’s not too long of sixth form left tho! :smile:

lol i'm confident you can get AAA, especially after your sick GCSEs. Yeah I chose self-catered studio for my first 3 options.

Yeah 3 months left ish, I gotta get my grind on quick lool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending