The Student Room Group

Starting track car

I know a b it about cars, done minor work on mine (Citroen C2 - wouldn't think it would be good but when your doing 32mph in 1st at 6500rpm...:burnout:) but want to start to have a proper car that I can work on while at uni. Know I won't have too much time to work on it but want something fun fast and not too expensive. Looking for something kinda like the Mitsubishi GTO or a Mk1 Mazda MX5. That type of thing. If you are selling or have an idea on what i should try and get then let me know. Kinda want it to be super customizable is the only restraint, plus around £5000 tops to spend on it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most of that £5000 is probably going to be blown on insurance if you're driving modified cars at uni age
Reply 2
Original post by NX172
Most of that £5000 is probably going to be blown on insurance if you're driving modified cars at uni age

This ^
Your budget isn't high enough. You'd be lucky to be insured on a modified clio or 206 at your age. Chill for a bit, then get an MX-5 which is more or less a massive modding sandbox.

Also
"wouldn't think it would be good but when your doing 32mph in 1st at 6500rpm"

Why bother then, even a normal Fiesta Zetec does this as stock and would cost less to buy and insure lmao. It doesn't feel like you're actually a track enthusiast, you come across as a boy racer.
Reply 4
Original post by nevershear
Your budget isn't high enough. You'd be lucky to be insured on a modified clio or 206 at your age. Chill for a bit, then get an MX-5 which is more or less a massive modding sandbox.

Also

Why bother then, even a normal Fiesta Zetec does this as stock and would cost less to buy and insure lmao. It doesn't feel like you're actually a track enthusiast, you come across as a boy racer.

Track cars don't need insurance if you're trailing.
Original post by nevershear

Also

Hiya mate, well currently the C2 is about a grand a year to ensure plus the car was 600 quid so all in all cheaper than just Fiesta Zetec insurance alone. All I want to have is a quick car which I suppose I can daily and track, quicker than the current one anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
This ^

HIya both Tom and NX172
Yeah I'm aware insurance is gonna be maddd, this would be to buy cars and parts, not insurance.
Original post by topnotchgooner
Hiya mate, well currently the C2 is about a grand a year to ensure plus the car was 600 quid so all in all cheaper than just Fiesta Zetec insurance alone. All I want to have is a quick car which I suppose I can daily and track, quicker than the current one anyway.

It'll be more than a grand once you declare your mods since you've said you're "doing work on it". And ye I wasn't suggesting you buy a Zetec I was making a point - but even then you'd get more value for money out of a stock Zetec than a modified C2 with insurance.

Which I hope you are, because if you don't and get in an accident you're screwed lad. This ties in with what Nx said, it isn't worth it, get a couple of years NCB under your belt, then buy something better than a bloody french death trap and mod away to your hearts content.

Original post by jack.lxt
Track cars don't need insurance if you're trailing.

But you do need insurance to drive off-track.
(edited 6 years ago)
This might sound crazy but I did see an old c63 go at public auction for like £5000 might be best to try your luck on that
I drive a modified Audi A4. Only pay 2.2k. 250 hp (remapped). Alloy wheels. BTB exhaust. I am 18 btw
Reply 10
Original post by Boss987
I drive a modified Audi A4. Only pay 2.2k. 250 hp (remapped). Alloy wheels. BTB exhaust. I am insured on Tesco, you don't need to tell them you have modified (They won't know). I am 18 btw

So what you're saying is, you're driving around uninsured? You've posted that on a public forum? Could you be any stupider?
Original post by IWMTom
So what you're saying is, you're driving around uninsured? You've posted that on a public forum? Could you be any stupider?

Ok.
I don't care tbh. I bought the car stock and gave the right details back then. Just tweaked the car recently which I haven't informed them about, and I won't.
Reply 13
Original post by Boss987
I don't care tbh. I bought the car stock and gave the right details back then. Just tweaked the car recently which I haven't informed them about, and I won't.

Cool, and if you get pulled over and your insurance details checked, you'll be getting 6 points and your car impounded. If you have an accident, you'll be liable for all costs, on top of the points and fine. Oh, and the best part, you'll lose your licence!

Good choice there mate - really clever.

Uninsured drivers like you sicken me; you're the reason our premiums are constantly on the rise.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
Cool, and if you get pulled over and your insurance details checked, you'll be getting 6 points and your car impounded. If you have an accident, you'll be liable for all costs, on top of the points and fine.

Good choice there mate - really clever.

Uninsured drivers like you sicken me; you're the reason our premiums are constantly on the rise.

Yep thank you for clarifying. With speed comes control. Also if I have an accident I will also be guilty of driving without insurance. There are people in Corsa SRI's driving like.... Deal with them first.
Original post by Boss987

I can't wait until you total it and the assessor finds all your mods during the process and voids your insurance then reports you for fraud. This is assuming you don't get pulled over for being an 18 year old in an A4 first.
This is assuming you don't get pulled over for being an 18 year old in an A4 first.

I insured on an A4... 2.2k. U saying u cant insure on an A4?
Reply 17
Original post by Boss987
Yep thank you for clarifying. With speed comes control. Also if I have an accident I will also be guilty of driving without insurance. There are people in Corsa SRI's driving like.... Deal with them first.

Who said anything about speed? Random checks happen all the time for young drivers in riced out cars.

You're a monumental lardhead for thinking this is okay, and it really shows your intellect given you're opting to commit fraud whilst on a black box policy! Absolutely ridiculous. Grow the **** up.
Original post by Boss987
This is assuming you don't get pulled over for being an 18 year old in an A4 first.

I insured on an A4... 2.2k. U saying u cant insure on an A4?

An 18 year old in an A4 is bait because of how unusual it is to ever find someone that age driving a car with that much power as stock, let alone remapped. Besides, 2200 sounds all well and good but it wouldn't surprise me if most of your insurance info is a lie.

But whatever, you do you, just don't drag anyone else down with you; what you're recommending is still illegal - so just don't.
Original post by IWMTom
Who said anything about speed? Random checks happen all the time for young drivers in riced out cars.

You're a monumental lardhead for thinking this is okay, and it really shows your intellect given you're opting to commit fraud whilst on a black box policy! Absolutely ridiculous. Grow the **** up.

If you called that riced up, then gd night sir. You know a lot about cars. No point arguing. I am gonna let my lardhead sleep. BTW black box who?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending