The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies 2017-18

:wavey:

I've seen quite a few modern studies students around in various threads, so thought I'd make a thread for anyone who is studying National 5 Modern Studies this year, to keep everything all in one place :smile:

So, if you want to discuss how your assignment went, have any questions about the course, or generally want to stress out about the exam, then this is the place to do it :smile:

And if you're looking for any of your other subject threads, you can find a list of them here :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Spoiler

Hi :wavey:

Thought you might find this thread useful :wink:
Reply 2
What did everyone do their Assignments on? How did you find it?

I chose something fairly unusual and chose the Electoral College, risky but I'm happy with what I wrote.
How do you get better at skills questions I really need help
Im doing Nat 5 Mod this year and am too struggling with the skills questions... just find them so so time consuming!!

I did my assignment on the hypothesis "The British Public were wrong to vote for Brexit", and think the write up went ok maybe!! Just the exam to go. So stresses about this one as there's just soooo much to remember for the K&U questions!
Exactly
Original post by Ross Peach
Exactly

For skills questions, it can be helpful to highlight the evidence when you find it (you're allowed a highlighter in the exam) if you don't already. You could have 2 different colours and highlight evidence to support, evidence to oppose etc.
It’s not that it’s the timing
Original post by Ross Peach
It’s not that it’s the timing

Unfortunately that's just practice, I struggle with that as well.
I did my assignment on arming the british police and I hope it went alright. Modies is my hardest subject by far and I'm just panicking for the exam because I only really just started revising. Working on notes so I might put them up here when I'm done with them (democracy in the uk, crime and the law, world power- usa)
Anyone know any good revision websites for, democracy in Scotland, crime and the law, conflict, units??
Reply 11
Anyone got any good revision resources
Someone told me the exam is written in a booklet? Is that true or is it just paper? Thanks
Original post by SQAstudent
Someone told me the exam is written in a booklet? Is that true or is it just paper? Thanks

Some exams have an answer booklet which is essentially just a stapled booklet of paper that is specially printed with a bar code on it and cover with the usual SQA instructions/boxes for you to fill in your name etc. It has a margin for you to write the question number in too.
Your questions will appear in a question paper, and you write all your answers in the answer booklet, as the question paper booklet is not marked. A number of other exams also use an answer booklet for candidate responses.
Hope this helps :smile:
For my assignment i talked about child poverty in scotland. It was quite tough to find enough to write about but overall i think it was okay. Still not started revising for modern yet as maths isn’t my main priority but i’ve got 5 nights between them to study. I prefer cram studying anyway because everything seems to get in my mind quicker
Reply 15
My assignment was on the media's influence. Much of the KU answers you can kind of bluff through with common sense if you don't remember, but I am struggling a lot with timing. I have no idea if I am writing enough or too much for the marks allocated. Does everyone else use the PEE chain method? I'm not necessarily a slow writer as I had plenty of time to spare in the write up of other assignments/prelims, but with Modern Studies I am always writing right up until the time. Are my teachers telling us to write too much? Or does everyone else have similar experiences?
It’s not just you. Our teacher makes us answer in PEEL paragraphs for every question. In the prelim i finished right as time was up. The source questions are too much with everything else but thankfully i’ve not chosen it next year because you need to write an essay in the exam
Reply 17
Original post by jenna2210
It’s not just you. Our teacher makes us answer in PEEL paragraphs for every question. In the prelim i finished right as time was up. The source questions are too much with everything else but thankfully i’ve not chosen it next year because you need to write an essay in the exam

Yeah I'm not taking it to Higher either. The course is interesting enough, but I feel like the structure of the exam is testing my ability to write as fast as possible rather than my actual knowledge of the subject. I agree with the source questions; even if they had a separate paper for the source questions similar to how Maths and English do it, because having the different question styles really disrupts my focus lol. Do you think it's worth me doing all KU in one go then move onto all Source questions, or would that be pointless?
it kinda depends how you feel at the time. For my prelim i did the questions in the order they were given and i’m glad i did because the source questions are 10 markers. If you definitely know all of the KU then give it a go because if you aren’t picking it next year, i’m sure it won’t be the end of the world if you don’t get am A or a B.
Reply 19
Original post by Lawvan
Yeah I'm not taking it to Higher either. The course is interesting enough, but I feel like the structure of the exam is testing my ability to write as fast as possible rather than my actual knowledge of the subject. I agree with the source questions; even if they had a separate paper for the source questions similar to how Maths and English do it, because having the different question styles really disrupts my focus lol. Do you think it's worth me doing all KU in one go then move onto all Source questions, or would that be pointless?

The Higher reforms next year mean that there will be two papers for Modern and History, I know History will have a source paper and an essay paper so I assume Modern will be the same.

I agree on timings it is really difficult for Mods, I find KU essay but the Skills time consuming so I just get through the knowledge, try and pick up some marks usually around 8-9 for conclusions and 7 for the others and then move on to the next section.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending