The Student Room Group

What actually happens if you leave school under 18?

I see YouTubers such as Millie T, Kiera Bridget, Morgz and so on who are under 18 Brits who don't go to school and don't partake in level 3 courses or apprenticeships.
I understand it's the law to stay in education or training until 18 but what would actually happen if you didn't and say went into full time work?
Just curious as to whether there is any legal consequences

Scroll to see replies

you go back to education when you're 30 with 5 kids and have finally realised how useful having qualifications is...
Original post by AlkynesOfTruble
you go back to education when you're 30 with 5 kids and have finally realised how useful having qualifications is...

but is there any legal consequences? Like can parents get fined or go to court?
Original post by Senhoritamia
but is there any legal consequences? Like can parents get fined or go to court?

i dont think so, I mean, if you tell the govt you're being home schooled you don't really need evidence so you basically legally drop out of school :wink:
Original post by AlkynesOfTruble
i dont think so, I mean, if you tell the govt you're being home schooled you don't really need evidence so you basically legally drop out of school :wink:

hmm I guess. Just been wondering whether it's possible to actually do lol
hmm I guess. Just been wondering whether it's possible to actually do lol

you bvest not acc do it
I have a friend who did exactly that, left secondary then went to work for her boyfriend who owns a company. Its illegal but nothing has happened to her so far.
I see YouTubers such as Millie T, Kiera Bridget, Morgz and so on who are under 18 Brits who don't go to school and don't partake in level 3 courses or apprenticeships.
I understand it's the law to stay in education or training until 18 but what would actually happen if you didn't and say went into full time work?

I think you can leave but you need to have your parents consent. It may be different in England but i'm under the assumption you can leave at 16 (4th year). If you leave you always have the option of apprenticeships and I know people who are quite well off now who left school early but they always had a trade in mind e.g. plumber. Someone else may have a better understanding.
Original post by chrissy99
I think you can leave but you need to have your parents consent. It may be different in Scotland but i'm under the assumption you can leave at 16 (4th year). If you leave you always have the option of apprenticeships and I know people who are quite well off now who left school early but they always had a trade in mind e.g. plumber. Someone else may have a better understanding.

ah see I live in England where it says we have to stay until 18 but I've never seen what the consequences are if you leave at 16 or 17. I get what you're saying about having a trade in mind so thanks.
Original post by heididdo
I have a friend who did exactly that, left secondary then went to work for her boyfriend who owns a company. Its illegal but nothing has happened to her so far.

if you don't mind me asking has anything happened to her parents like letters from council or school and did she tell the school she was leaving formally or does she just refuse to go?
ah see I live in England where it says we have to stay until 18 but I've never seen what the consequences are if you leave at 16 or 17. I get what you're saying about having a trade in mind so thanks.

I presume its up to the judge. It could be that a judge decides to get the social services involved. I think some gypsies don't send their kids to school and they get away with it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I got mates who dropped out of GCSE's and went into employment, they encourage you to go to school until your 18, but once your 16, they can't really hold your parents responsible for some things...

As long as your not enrolled in a school, nothing happens, but if you quit school, you need to give them a valid reason or just say your moving and thats it...
Original post by chrissy99
I presume its up to the judge. It could be that a judge decides to get the social services involved. I think some gypsies don't send their kids to school and they get away with it.

oh yeah I never thought about that
ewwww morgz
Original post by Ray_Shadows
ewwww morgz

visit Morgz.co for merch! lmao
visit Morgz.co for merch! lmao

i'd rather drink bleach
Nothing happens. I didn't go college. Simply didn't apply and this was only 2 years ago. Nothing happened. Everyone said the police would be at my door...Where they at?
Original post by Cxm
Nothing happens. I didn't go college. Simply didn't apply and this was only 2 years ago. Nothing happened. Everyone said the police would be at my door...Where they at?

ah this is what I've been wanting to hear. Are you from England or somewhere different in the UK if you don't mind me asking?
ah this is what I've been wanting to hear. Are you from England or somewhere different in the UK if you don't mind me asking?

Yes i'm from England

I believe that if your parents are in reciept of benefits it can be stopped.

However, just go to school to be qualified, it makes little sense to actively want to be less qualified than someone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending