The Student Room Group

revision in preparation for A-levels (summer 2018)

What are you guys' opinions on revising during the summer in preparation for A-levels? I'd like to take biology, chemistry, and psychology (I'm in year 11 now) but I'm really not sure if I'll end up getting into those, especially biology, and wouldn't want to spend the months off studying for subjects I don't get into.
I'm planning on revising all of gcse maths and once im atleast a grade 7 in maths i am gonna start revising for a level maths. The reason im starting with gcse maths is because im only a grade 4 at gcse but i enjoy maths,i just didn't put in much effort in year 10 and beginning of year 11
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BlueApple123
I'm planning on revising all of gcse maths and once im atleast a grade 7 in maths i am gonna start revising for a level maths. The reason im starting with gcse maths is because im only a grade 4 at gcse but i enjoy maths,i just didn't put in much effort in year 10 and beginning of year 11

out of interest, why none of the other subjects you're taking? I hope it goes well for you regardless c:
I think you should definitely take a break this summer; GCSEs have been tough and we all need to relax a bit:yes:
If you really want to then you could look at one of those bridging the gap books or some of the gcse overlap stuff on YouTube.
I’m planning on chilling till results day (when I’ll hopefully know which a levels I want to do) then I’ll do some summer homework (if my school set any) for it, go back over some of the gcse content for the subject and maybe look at some of the easier a level content (if that exists) for it.
Original post by Jess_ter
out of interest, why none of the other subjects you're taking? I hope it goes well for you regardless c:

Thank you, the other subjects im taking are buisness studies and ICT, in the mocks i got an A* for ICT and a B for business so i believe i have to prioritise my maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Toastiekid
I think you should definitely take a break this summer; GCSEs have been tough and we all need to relax a bit:yes:
If you really want to then you could look at one of those bridging the gap books or some of the gcse overlap stuff on YouTube.
I’m planning on chilling till results day (when I’ll hopefully know which a levels I want to do) then I’ll do some summer homework (if my school set any) for it, go back over some of the gcse content for the subject and maybe look at some of the easier a level content (if that exists) for it.

oh, I didn't know those existed! Thanks for your advice
What are you guys' opinions on revising during the summer in preparation for A-levels? I'd like to take biology, chemistry, and psychology (I'm in year 11 now) but I'm really not sure if I'll end up getting into those, especially biology, and wouldn't want to spend the months off studying for subjects I don't get into.

Even if your GCSE results dont meet entry requirements to join sixth form or college for the particular subject you self study over summer, you can always try convince your sixth form leader by saying you've self studied over the summer and your gcse results dont reflect what you've done over the summer and if that doesn't work then you can enter the exam as a private candidate
oh, I didn't know those existed! Thanks for your advice

I didn’t either until my friend mentioned them:lol: I think cgp make some:dontknow:
No problem:hugs: good luck with the rest of your exams!
I'd advise not to revise full stop, and instead just take a break since you've just finished 2 years of solid GCSE. However, if you are to 'revise', don't revise A Levels. Instead brush over the fundamental GCSE stuff you've already learned.

Considering A Level courses such as Biology and Chemistry start off by refreshing students with basic GCSE stuff, it'd be a good idea, just to steady yourself and make induction less stressful; if you don't understand the basics, then you won't understand the actual A Level stuff. I remember when I started AS Chemistry, and I did an induction test which had all the basic GCSE stuff in, I couldn't remember any of it since I didn't brush up on it - it's fair to say I didn't do well!

If you try and revise the A Level stuff, then you'll end up looking at all the A Level stuff that you obviously won't understand, and this could make you confused or even put you off the course altogether. You don't want this before you've even started A Levels.
Reply 9
Original post by Kian Stevens
I'd advise not to revise full stop, and instead just take a break since you've just finished 2 years of solid GCSE. However, if you are to 'revise', don't revise A Levels. Instead brush over the fundamental GCSE stuff you've already learned.

Considering A Level courses such as Biology and Chemistry start off by refreshing students with basic GCSE stuff, it'd be a good idea, just to steady yourself and make induction less stressful; if you don't understand the basics, then you won't understand the actual A Level stuff. I remember when I started AS Chemistry, and I did an induction test which had all the basic GCSE stuff in, I couldn't remember any of it since I didn't brush up on it - it's fair to say I didn't do well!

If you try and revise the A Level stuff, then you'll end up looking at all the A Level stuff that you obviously won't understand, and this could make you confused or even put you off the course altogether. You don't want this before you've even started A Levels.

Thank you, I'll be sure to do that.
girll we are doing the same options!! I think I want to start looking at the specifications for each subject and just look at the content
Reply 11
Original post by sandunea
girll we are doing the same options!! I think I want to start looking at the specifications for each subject and just look at the content

haha I know a few people who do those, I guess they're just a good combination :h:
Original post by BlueApple123

If you need any advice... come to this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5455842&p=78610124#post78610124

I can help you there

Quick Reply

Latest