The Student Room Group

What is your current job?

Excluding volunteering/apprenticing

Scroll to see replies

I work part time in JD
Besides the guy above does anyone here even work...
Original post by Ikhan1
I work part time in JD

cool, how old are you and how long have you had it?
M c d o n a l d ' s

yes, i f*ing hate it.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
cool, how old are you and how long have you had it?

I’m 17 and I’ve only been there for about 3 months. Also, *girl above ((:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm working as an Electrician. Best decision of my life.
Original post by BTAnonymous
M c d o n a l d ' s

yes, i f*ing hate it.

Better than nowt

Original post by Hidan
I'm working as an Electrician. Best decision of my life.

I was thinking of doing that..commercial or residential?

Original post by Ikhan1

oh whoops haha. It's good to get stuff on ur CV at that age.
Original post by Ikhan1

Can we do a job swap?
Reply 9

Residential is very seasonal and dependant on a housing boom. Commercial/Industrial is the way to go, the pay is greater in the industrial context, not to mention the adrenaline you get when working with electricity; an entity you cannot see but you just end up having to damn well respect it or risk your heart just exploding in your chest.

If you're a really skilled electrician you can do either and end up self-employed and work when you want for how much you want. Wish you the best.
Unemployed, but I'm going to be a taxonomy/science intern for a database for a research institution, not really a 'job' but I'll be doing it full time for a year so that's probably decent for my cv
Original post by BTAnonymous
Can we do a job swap?

Hahaha I’ll pass thanks, but I have a friend that works in Macdonalds and she quite enjoys it ?
Original post by Ikhan1
Hahaha I’ll pass thanks, but I have a friend that works in Macdonalds and she quite enjoys it ?

it's ok at times. my store is on a seafront however so as you can imagine, summers are like a bloody music festival where there's 15 kids running around, another 10 crying, angry customers blah blah blah. it's just hectic.
im a model
Original post by Hidan

Residential is very seasonal and dependant on a housing boom. Commercial/Industrial is the way to go, the pay is greater in the industrial context, not to mention the adrenaline you get when working with electricity; an entity you cannot see but you just end up having to damn well respect it or risk your heart just exploding in your chest.

If you're a really skilled electrician you can do either and end up self-employed and work when you want for how much you want. Wish you the best.

I do residential inspections but not as an electrician, though the company works with them as contractors. Private residential landlords are cheap and don't always call if they're slumlords. But sometimes the company does pest control for bigger businesses with corporate offices, and that is much more lucrative and constant tbh. I suppose it's the same for electricians.
Original post by Ikhan1
I work part time in JD

How much discount do you get on the trainers?
Reply 16
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I do residential inspections but not as an electrician, though the company works with them as contractors. Private residential landlords are cheap and don't always call if they're slumlords. But sometimes the company does pest control for bigger businesses with corporate offices, and that is much more lucrative and constant tbh. I suppose it's the same for electricians.

It is very much the same for electricians. I wish you the best, take it steady bud.
Original post by BDho
How much discount do you get on the trainers?

I don’t get a discount. Employees have a card given to them with a certain amount of money to spend in store. So basically I can get things for free. But it’s only like £100 which might seem like a lot, but considering how expensive some shoes are, it’s not that much, but I’m definitely not complaining
Original post by Ikhan1
I don’t get a discount. Employees have a card given to them with a certain amount of money to spend in store. So basically I can get things for free. But it’s only like £100 which might seem like a lot, but considering how expensive some shoes are, it’s not that much, but I’m definitely not complaining

So let’s say u have £100 on ur card. Is that £100 yearly or every 3 months? I’m guessing it’s an allowance but for what time frame?

Also I applied for JD about a week ago but they still haven’t got back to me. How long did it take you?
Full-time student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending