The Student Room Group

Relaxing elective in Singapore possible?

Hi

I am planning my medical elective for next year (current UK based 4th year) and am hoping to go to South East Asia, ideally Singapore. I would love to have a chilled elective as I'm planning on taking my two children and partner with me for a month but have heard its pretty long hours in Singapore. Does anyone know if there are certain Singapore hospitals/departments/specialities which are more relaxed than others and do not require long hours?

Any advice much appreciated!!

Thanks
The only Singapore electives I've heard of required a pretty high level of dedication.

Caribbean/NZ/Fiji on the other hand...
In New Zealand the consultant actively told me to go and enjoy his country and come back at the end! I hung around for 2.5/4 weeks anyway though...

Caribbean I attended every day, mainly because the consultant was a friend of mine, but routine hours were 8-11/12 or so. Maybe until 3 on theatre days. Most amazingly, that was his routine as well. What a job!
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
The only Singapore electives I've heard of required a pretty high level of dedication.

Caribbean/NZ/Fiji on the other hand...

Is it difficult to get an elective in Singapore?
Original post by Tawheed
Is it difficult to get an elective in Singapore?

I don't know.
Reply 5
Friend is just back from his sinagpore elective. They were in from 7.30am ish till 8pm most days. They were in ortho though so other areas may be more relaxed.
Reply 6
Original post by ahorey
Friend is just back from his sinagpore elective. They were in from 7.30am ish till 8pm most days. They were in ortho though so other areas may be more relaxed.

Hey!

It would be amazing if he had any tips for someone wanting to apply there for an elective!
Reply 7
Thanks for your responses.I think Singapore is out the window now but I’m interested in New Zealand. Nexttime which island and hospital/speciality were you based at?Thanks
Reply 8
Go to Malaysia, chilled out and right next to Singapore

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending