The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Because the sample you are observing is TSR.
Personal standards.

Why settle for a mediocre 2:1 when you can get a 1st?
thats like asking "why do ppl obsess over A* when most entry requirements wants As"
Reply 4
Original post by Sulfolobus
Personal standards.

Why settle for a mediocre 2:1 when you can get a 1st?

Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.
People want to do well?
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Only if you cant manage time.
I'm not spending £9000 a year on fees to get a 2:1 when I'm completely capable of getting of a 1st
above

Because some people strive for academic excellence.

Why do quite well when you can do very well indeed?
I always aim for the best I can do, and in the case of my degree that was a 1st. If your best is a 2.1, it's good to realise that early and maintain that standard, but if a 1st is achievable there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't aim for it.

I do partly agree with your statement that a 1st with no extracurricular activity or work experience will probably not be as impressive as a 2.1 with lots of experience for certain companies. However, it's perfectly possible to get a 1st and get the relevant experience. If you can do both then again, why not aim for a 1st?
Reply 10
Loads of various reasons

-Many feel that they can honestly achieve it, and would rather aim very high than too little.
-Some people will be applying to jobs in sectors that are very very competitive (e.g. IB, law) and only higher people from a list of prestigious uni. In this occasion, having a first and also some experience will put them at an advantage.
-Building on from my first point ,many small/middle firms in consulting and investment (as well as other fields) will require you to have 'strong academic background'. If you have poor A-levels and GCSE, or go to a very low ranking uni, having a first can make a difference. (I learnt this the hard way with a company called Watertrace for a management consulting role, which was very annoying :colonhash: ).
- Some will be applying to very competitive postgraduate courses that require you to have an excellent academic background (e.g. MSc Finance in LSE, Cambridge, London Business School, Oxford, CASS business school). Having a first in this occasion will genuinely put you in a slight advantage over other applicants with 2:1.
- Achieving a first will make you eligible to many postgraduate bursaries and securing funding.

Only some are like this. Many tend to do internship or work experience during the summer instead of term time.
(edited 5 years ago)
above

The question should be: why people are so obsessed with first class, even though different unis are using different grading systems?
5 highest average grade modules vs 33% second yr+ 67% final year vs 20% second yr+ 80% final yr vs 50:50 in second and final yr.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12

That's assuming that all people who got firsts had no volunteering opportunities. I got a first, was a chairperson of a youth council, had a job as a youth worker... it's possible :smile:
Why settle for the best when you can settle for second best and still get a medal?
Reply 14
Original post by RLinds
That's assuming that all people who got firsts had no volunteering opportunities. I got a first, was a chairperson of a youth council, had a job as a youth worker... it's possible :smile:

Yeah that is good
Reply 15
Original post by KeirCKF
The question should be: why people are so obsessed with first class, even though different unis are using different grading systems?
5 highest average grade modules vs 33% second yr+ 67% final year vs 20% second yr+ 80% final yr vs 50:50 in second and final yr.

Probably why companies dont care too much about the first
Loads of reasons.

But I do just want to say getting a first doesn't necessarily even make a person intelligent. I know someone who just graduated with a 1st in a stem degree from a top uni. And she has 0 critical thinking skills. Doesn't believe in evolution and is against vaccines.

Employers want a lot more than a number on a piece of paper.
Aim high and the lowest you can fall is on your target.
Aim for the stars and if you miss, you'll be drifting through the vacuum of space for all eternity.

Basically if you have the academic ability, why not push yourself and achieve your full potential. Also having a 1st may give you that slight upper hand against candidates with better extracurricular activities but a 2:1.
Reply 19
Yeah that is good

Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending