The Student Room Group

Christians, I have a question

I never understood this, its always confused me as a non-christian. So my question is, do you guys believe that Jesus is God? How is he the son of God but God anyway? I know you believe there's only one God so they cant both be Gods. But how is a Father a son and a son a father?
Can you be your own dad and a son at the same time? Can you be the son of God but also the Father of yourself as God? Do different types of Christians believe one or the other? If so, what brought about these 2 very contrasting views?
Also, if Priests can't marry and have kids for holy reasons, why does God have a son?

(P.S: I'm not trying to be rude or have any malicious intent, I'm actually curious about something I might not be able to ask people straight up, religion is sensitive after all)

Scroll to see replies

God was Jesus in human flesh . But God is a spirit. So technically like a splitc
Posting here to watch this thread. I’ll reply in a bit when I’m less busy.
Original post by Anonymous
I never understood this, its always confused me as a non-christian. So my question is, do you guys believe that Jesus is God? How is he the son of God but God anyway? I know you believe there's only one God so they cant both be Gods. But how is a Father a son and a son a father?
Can you be your own dad and a son at the same time? Can you be the son of God but also the Father of yourself as God? Do different types of Christians believe one or the other? If so, what brought about these 2 very contrasting views?
Also, if Priests can't marry and have kids for holy reasons, why does God have a son?

(P.S: I'm not trying to be rude or have any malicious intent, I'm actually curious about something I might not be able to ask people straight up, religion is sensitive after all)

The best I way I can explain it as a bit like how water can be three things, steam, liquid and ice (not simultaneously obviously.) Like they are three different forms but it's the same molecule. God is a little bit like that, he has three forms. Jesus is God, we just say he's the son of God because he came to earth out of a human woman

Priests were never intended to be celibate is the way the catholic church prescribes. In fact, they shouldn't even be called priests at all. In the NT we have deacons; and they're allowed to marry. All christians are called priests in the priesthood of all believers
Reply 4
Original post by Blackstarr
God was Jesus in human flesh . But God is a spirit. So technically like a splitc

Ok, so where did the idea that he is the son of God come from, if its God himself? Is it like a metaphor or something
God had sexual intercourse with a women called Susan, Susan is Jesus's mother. Mary is Jesus's birth mother.
Jesus is a propet of God. Neither the son of god. Or god himself.
Ok, so where did the idea that he is the son of God come from, if its God himself? Is it like a metaphor or something

From stone age men that were uneducated.
Reply 8
Did Jesus claim he was God? Is there like a Bible Quote or something? (Im not trying to challenge you, I just want to be sure)

Ok so I get the Priest thing now. Whats the 3rd form of God? why do people say that Jesus died for your sins? Does that mean you can sin because he died for it? Why did God die? Its very confusing man
Original post by Johnsmith13

Jesus is not a prophet,
Christians believe in the holy trinity (father, spirit and son) I.e. God is 3 beings in one

I've heard it explained similar to how H2O can be water, ice and steam, 3 different forms, but still all H2O (not the best example, but hey, it gets the point across (hopefully:P))
Jesus was the human embodiment of God but described as his son to make it less confusing for the people who met him. Only Catholic priests aren't allowed to marry, Anglicans and other Protestant priests can marry and have children. I'm not 100% sure but i think Catholics see sex as sinful and that is why they don't allow priests to marry, Jesus was conceived by immaculate conception so it doesn't really count, how else was God supposed to get down here?
Did Jesus claim he was God? Is there like a Bible Quote or something? (Im not trying to challenge you, I just want to be sure)

Ok so I get the Priest thing now. Whats the 3rd form of God? why do people say that Jesus died for your sins? Does that mean you can sin because he died for it? Why did God die? Its very confusing man

it doesnt make sense because gods not real
Original post by Johnsmith13

Do Christians believe this? If so, what brought about the difference in opinion? I think this point speaks to me more for now than Jesus being a manifestation of God so I want to know more about this side.

It's said in many places throughout the NT and there are references in the prophetic books of the OT too:

https://bible.org/question/does-jesus-fact-say-he-god%E2%80%99s-son-not-just-infer-it

Commonly we say the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, these are the three forms of God. They're all God but in different forms. When we say Jesus died for your sins, we mean that he died to take the full payment for your sin. When you sin your incur God's wrath, and God's nature is justice aswell as love, which means all sin should be punished. Jesus died to save us from our sin and from God's wrath. God so loved the world that he came in human form to die for us so that if we believe in Jesus we can be re-united with God
They believe in the trinity, which consists of Jesus (the son), the Holy Spirit and God (the father). 3 persons in one.

The priest question has me stumped though. I'd love to hear an answer to that.
Thank you for the link, I saved it and I'll check it out. What confused me in the first place is how Christians talk about Jesus and God as 2 separate things. So, Jesus died for your sins to save us from his own wrath? Because he is God right?

So does this mean, Christians are saved and so are able to commit sins but Jesus picks up the tab? (I couldn't put it any other way, Again i repeat im not trying to be rude)
Thank you for the link, I saved it and I'll check it out. What confused me in the first place is how Christians talk about Jesus and God as 2 separate things. So, Jesus died for your sins to save us from his own wrath? Because he is God right?

So does this mean, Christians are saved and so are able to commit sins but Jesus picks up the tab? (I couldn't put it any other way, Again i repeat im not trying to be rude)

Yes, basically. I know it is a little bit confusing to those not familiar with Christianity through upbringing. So, man (all humankind) sins (including me and you) which incurs God's wrath. In this state we are separated from God, we cannot know Him. God manifests himself as Jesus, comes to earth as a human (but still God) to die as payment for sin (thus completing the old sacrificial foreshadowings and prophecy of the OT books.) If you believe in Jesus and turn from your sin you will be forgiven and you will be able to enter Heaven after you die, it's that simple. You become a child of God but you must truely believe
Do Christians believe this? If so, what brought about the difference in opinion? I think this point speaks to me more for now than Jesus being a manifestation of God so I want to know more about this side.

Christians do not believe this, this is a muslim point of view. Think about it, why would be mere prophet of God claim to be God and then willingly die slowly and painfully on a cross over several hours whilst their lungs slowly filled up with their own fluids and they drowned from the inside? You would call such a prophet a madman
Thank you for all the replies. Im still a bit rocky on it but I wanted to hear Christian opinion on this. I like to try and understand religions other than my own (dont ask me what i am) just in case and to weigh pros and cons. Whats best for me etc...

Sorry again if i said anything that was rude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending