The Student Room Group

2.2 Graduate chance to Oxbridge

I recently graduated with 50% from the University of Manchester, with Economics degree. I realised this has been a huge failure in my whole life. But I still can't let go of my dream getting to Oxbridge.
Would a 2nd degree improves my chance to get to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

How important is Oxbridge to you? Doing a second degree would mean you would spend more of your time and money (you will have to fund the degree yourself). Is it possible for you to make different plans instead?

If you were to do a second degree, what would you study, and could you be sure that you won't graduate with the same grade again?
Surely if Oxbridge was your dream end goal, you would've wanted to have achieved greater than a 2:2?

A 2:2 kind of shows you've struggled with academia, do you not think you'd struggle at postgraduate level? The workload will be magnitudes harder.

Sorry if that's a tad blunt but Oxford and Cambridge are two of the best Unis in the World, you'll be competing against graduates with 1sts.

I'd personally say doing a 2nd degree (self-funded) is a waste of your own time and money. Go out into the world and find a decent job. 6 years in total for 1 year at Oxbridge? Is it worth it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CTLeafez
Surely if Oxbridge was your dream end goal, you should've put in more effort into your first degree to get better than a 2:2?

Sorry if that's a tad blunt but Oxbridge are within the best Unis in the World, you'll be competing against graduates with 1sts.

I expect answers, not a degradation. If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
No. Be realistic. You're not getting to Oxbridge for a few years.

If it really is a dream to study there (I'm not sure why, but it's your dream not mine) then get a job, work hard and come back in a few years with a strong work history and you'll stand a greater chance of getting in. Maybe have a look at something like an MBA after 3+ years. If it's your ambition then you'll need to up your game to get there - but it's doable. Good luck.
Original post by manalisa
I expect answers, not a degradation. If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

I'm being completely honest and straight with you.

Do you want me to just tell you everything is fine, your plan to do a 2nd degree is perfectly logical and you totally have the academic ability to succeed at one of the best Unis in the world?

Apologies if it comes off as mean or degrading, I'm just being direct with you, not sugar coating it.

Also look at the others parts of my response which you haven't quoted, asking you if you honestly believe you have the ability? The only person who can say that for definite is yourself.
(edited 5 years ago)
While I'm not aware of all postgraduate courses, but for the few that I've looked at required either firsts or 2:1's, with one for Cambridge requiring a 1st and a masters already (I can't recall which one, MBA maybe). These were mostly business/economics related, but I would imagine that other courses have similar requirements?
Anything is possible through hard work and determination. Funding this second degree will pose a challenge for you though, as far as I’m aware the government will only fund tuition fees on certain STEM part time courses. Lastly, nobody on here except official Oxbridge representatives can answer whether or not you would get in

They did answer you: they said that in their opinion it's a waste of your time. What you really mean is that you want validation, for someone to say 'yes, a 2.2 won't set you back, apply immediately'. This would be, in my opinion, a dangerously misleading piece of advice.

Anyway.

Most Oxbridge Mphils require candidates to have First-class undergraduate degrees to be competitive. Some of the less competitive Mphils are open to those who graduated with a 2.1, but your chances of being successful with a 2.2 are slim.

I have a few thoughts on your best move.

1) The fact you describe your dream as 'going to Oxbridge' rather than 'getting a postgrad degree in X at the best possible institution' is illuminating; it implies that you don't really care what you study there, so long as you go. Oxbridge seek to admit people with serious passion and flair for their subject, rather than for Oxbridge as an institution. There's a huge difference!

2) A second degree would be a massive gamble. It means more debt, more years out of your life, and potentially not even the Oxbridge offer you covet at the end of it all. I'm not sure the trade is worth it. The 2.2 from your first degree will still set you back and unless you can find something you're extremely passionate about for your second degree, get a high First in it, and then make a strong application for a related Oxbridge MPhil I genuinely believe you'd be rejected.

3) I'm not sure as to why your result from Manchester was the way it was, so I'll ask this with that in mind and as delicately as I can, but have you given thought to the possibility that academia might just not be for you? This is absolutely fine - there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Oxbridge is a step-change in intensity from any other educational environment which can be very difficult to cope with, even if you think you're prepared for it. It's not comparable to any other university experience - I really can't emphasise that enough. My generic response to your situation (and again, I don't have all the details of how you wound up with the grade you wound up with, so I'm hedging this heavily) would be that I think you could struggle with the academic pressure applied at Oxbridge.

My advice overall would be to let sleeping dogs lie. Find something else to strive for; honestly, Oxbridge isn't what a lot of people think it will be when they have starry-eyed dreams of studying there. Beneath the veneer of Hogwarts-esque tradition, beautiful gardens and architecture, gowns, bikes, quaint libraries, punting, and that sweet sweet Oxbridge box-check on your CV, there's a reality of stress, pressure, intense academic difficulty, and rigorous and demanding deadlines.
People are being brutally honest.

If you’ve seriously had a dream of Oxbridge for years, you’d have worked for it both undergrad entry and during your degree. But you didn’t. Paying out of pocket for a second degree for one year of Oxbridge study, which in itself is unlikely, and at this stage not really necessary.

If you want to work for a second degree, get a first (which is something that will require a heck of a lot of work) to then make an Oxbridge application, do it. If you want to, go ahead. It’s your future, and it’s your call.
I recently graduated with 50% from the University of Manchester, with Economics degree. I realised this has been a huge failure in my whole life. But I still can't let go of my dream getting to Oxbridge.

It's admirable your dream of getting to Oxbridge. However, if one is blunt a 2.2 at 50% is probably not going to get you into Oxford or Cambridge as you are probably competing amongst 1sts and high 2.1s.
If you get a 2nd degree and you make a 1st in it, surely it should improve your chance in getting to Oxbridge. You could put a good argument as well in your personal statement. I'm sure, however, that you have reaslied that it would cost you extra time + money + the likelihood of not getting into Oxbridge with the new 2nd degree.
But again, with dreams you've got to take risks.
All the best!

Do you think you worked hard enough?
Reply 12
LOL, OP is away crying because he/she didn't get the validation they wanted.
Reply 13
Original post by Volibear
You got a 2:2 and want to do a second degree/postgraduate degree at Oxbridge. Sorry to break this to you but you're not in a great position and the people who are bluntly honest and don't get your hopes up are doing you a favour.

I'm assuming that OP thinks studying at Oxbridge is the end game and that they will be set for life afterwards.
Reply 14
Original post by e^iπ
I'm assuming that OP thinks studying at Oxbridge is the end game and that they will be set for life afterwards.

I am an unemployed oxbridge grad, can not confirm
Reply 15
Original post by marupe
I am an unemployed oxbridge grad, can not confirm

Really?

What course?
Reply 16
Original post by e^iπ
Really?

What course?

well unemployed for a year, I have a grad scheme offer for October but graduated last year July

Chemistry
Reply 17
Original post by marupe
well unemployed for a year, I have a grad scheme offer for October but graduated last year July

Chemistry

What's the general attitude towards employment at Cambridge, do you find that students neglect work experience due to the added pressures of academia?
Reply 18
Original post by marupe

Chemistry

is the grad scheme chemistry related
Reply 19
Original post by e^iπ
What's the general attitude towards employment at Cambridge, do you find that students neglect work experience due to the added pressures of academia?

I was at Oxford. It's split generally; some people neglect work experience, not because of academic pressure, but because they can't be bothered to do it (like me) and prefer to do other things in the holidays. (We have really long holidays so work experience and academic work wouldn't really overlap.) I did a lot of volunteering instead. Many people in chemistry did a lab project over the summer(s). I've found a larger proportion of students at Oxford go into further study/PhDs than at other universities so finding work experience isn't really needed in these cases.

Then there are groups of very motivated students who do internships etc every summer and are grooming themselves to go into the best grad schemes.

Most students are somewhere in between, and will either find an internship over one summer or do things like access work or teach over the summer to gain transferable skills and just apply to jobs with these instead of proper work experience. I don't think going to Oxford makes a big difference in employability for most of these students, if at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending