The Student Room Group

A level or b tech

Which is best to take A Level or B tech?
I’m currently deciding between 2 different collages, 1 collage is b tech while the other is A level.

•B tech health and social care
•A level psychology and health and social care
(edited 5 years ago)
From someone who took Alevels and a BTEC

- Btec health and social care level 3
- A level Psychology and Sociology

Honestly, I loved my btec and I loved a level Psych as well.
Btec was the best decision I ever made, I am so glad I took it - for me it is an easy A.

The only thing with btecs is, everyone always says the stupid people go for it.
For btec I had two exams and two pieces of coursework to complete. One piece of coursework was a little over 100,000 words.
Btec is great if you love coursework, which I did - I love it more than taking exams.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by minivampire

- Btec health and social care level 3
- A level Psychology and Sociology

Honestly, I loved my btec and I loved a level Psych as well.
Btec was the best decision I ever made, I am so glad I took it - for me it is an easy A.

The only thing with btecs is, everyone always says the stupid people go for it.
For btec I had two exams and two pieces of coursework to complete. One piece of coursework was a little over 100,000 words.
Btec is great if you love coursework, which I did - I love it more than taking exams.

Thank you!
Original post by minivampire
One piece of coursework was a little over 100,000 words.

100,000 words is ,more than is required for a PhD thesis, while my final undergrad project was 10,000 words... is that a typo? :smile:
Original post by Gordon_D
100,000 words is ,more than is required for a PhD thesis, while my final undergrad project was 10,000 words... is that a typo? :smile:

Honestly no :biggrin:
I loved it if I'm honest.. I could have wrote more.
But my second piece only met 50,000 words.
That way they can't say I haven't got an A :wink:
Reply 5
For 1 assignment that does seem a bit much? I averaged 10,000-15,000 per unit when I did my BTEC which I think is about right.

Also, my MSc dissertation is 20,000-30,000 words, makes it seem like nothing in comparison 😂😂
Reply 6
BTEC all the way. Exams are a horrible way to measure a student's ability and put a hideous amount of pressure on you at the end of the year. With no exams and coursework-based assessment, BTEC is pretty consistent and gives you more feedback and second chances to improve your grades.
Reply 7
I did a BTEC extended diploma in health and social care. Lots of work, I probably wrote in excess of 150,000 words over the 2 year course. 18 units, 3-4 assignments per unit. When you get to distinction level, it gets to about 3000 words per assignment.

Lots of work, but it's a lot of fun too. I really enjoyed it. The content is really interesting and you do placements so you have work experience. Useful in getting a job.
Reply 8
It highly depends on your career choice, if you’re going for Psychology related course later on in the uni. Then it’s worth to consider looking at A level related subjects as you need to have actual knowledge of things. Most top tier Universities value A levels over BTEC in that case. Where as if you’re going for more practical study like health and social care your University choices may become limited, however you will gain practical experience which is highly valued specifically for health care jobs.

Honestly, it’s worth considering your future career plans and you should probably think about what you want to achieve when you get there. In the late stages of University it’s all about research and invention to create a positive impact for the future generations. If that’s something you’re interested in then it’s probably better to go for A levels as you need to be well knowledgeable about the course.
Original post by Smithyroseemily
Which is best to take A Level or B tech?
I’m currently deciding between 2 different collages, 1 collage is b tech while the other is A level.

•B tech health and social care
•A level psychology and health and social care

A levels for sure. BTECs are looked down upon by employers
Original post by madmirrors

You don’t know what you are talking about BTEC are designed for people who know what they wish to study further in life where a level gives people more options if they change their mind on the area they wish to study
Reply 11
Original post by madmirrors

That's a new one. If you have a BTEC in health and social care, generally getting a job in health and social care is relatively easy. Due to the placements required, you have professional references and experience to talk about. Some of my coursemates were offered jobs by the placement provider. I'm assuming that the op wants a job in health and social care, in which case a BTEC is a logical choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending