The Student Room Group

Crow's a level journey [6 a levels, olympiads and more!]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Muttley79
Unis probably won't count the two A levels you've done early - they like to see all of them taken at the same time.

Have you done any UKMT competitions already? Did you get on a Summer school?

I'll probably re-do Portuguese at CIE first Language A Level and I'll resit Spanish to get an A* if I didn't do so already I guess year 12 would be fine as people finish Maths in year 12, right?
Original post by Crow_M
I learn really last, I read once and I pick up most details quickly, I then do questions on the topic to work on what I found hard. I used Mathswatch in GCSE to learn most things and went from a D to a B and I worked at school and worked to get the A*.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we'll get the grades that we want. Let's work on those grades for Cambridge! What course do you want to do. :smile:

Mathswatch is amazing really helped me improve grades too, they have it for a levels but compared to gcse schools are less likely to subscribe to it.
Reply 22
Original post by Crow_M
Oh I did :-:

@Doonesbury could you please delete the other one? Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Done, and I moved a lone post over here too :wink:
Original post by Crow_M
I learn really last, I read once and I pick up most details quickly, I then do questions on the topic to work on what I found hard. I used Mathswatch in GCSE to learn most things and went from a D to a B and I worked at school and worked to get the A*.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we'll get the grades that we want. Let's work on those grades for Cambridge! What course do you want to do. :smile:

I did almost exactly the same thing - I'm lucky in that I've been blessed with a very good memory.

Do you do IGCSEs? I'm on the numerical scale but in many ways prefer the old grading system.

At the moment I'm thinking either History or Linguistics at uni - though I may choose to do a joint honours and add French in too. From what I've read I'm sure you'll have no problem getting into whichever uni you choose! :smile:
Reply 24
Unis probably won't count the two A levels you've done early - they like to see all of them taken at the same time.

Have you done any UKMT competitions already? Did you get on a Summer school?

I did UKMT in year 10 and got a bronze. I'm in year 11 and going to year 12, I don't go to a summer school as I think most are quite expensive.

The UKMT Senior will be done in year 12 or 13.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Professional G
*Whistle* wow that’s a lot of achievements.

Ikr?
I feel dumb now 😂
Reply 26
Original post by une rock
How did you cope with doing 6 a levels? Are Portuguese or Spanish your native language(s)? Either way, you're actually the demigod of a levels

Portuguese is my native language however I learned it until year 5 in Portugal, I self taught myself more in the UK.

Spanish isn't rny native language, I self taught myself the language from scratch in year 10 and I sat GCSE, AS and A2 Spanish in Year 11.

And thanks :smile:
Original post by Missradioactive
Ikr?
I feel dumb now 😂

Heck. I feel like half a man.
Reply 28
Original post by Iahmed512
Pardon my ignorance, sorry, but I've always heard about olympiads on tsr but what actually and exactly is it?

Olympiads are harder tests, you do them in A Level (there are some for gcse students), you go to round 1, if you get a certain score you go to round 2 and you may go to a school to try to get into the UK team, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Olympiads are way harder than A Levels.
Original post by Crow_M
I'll probably re-do Portuguese at CIE first Language A Level and I'll resit Spanish to get an A* if I didn't do so already I guess year 12 would be fine as people finish Maths in year 12, right?

That's only accepted if they are doing F Maths and some unis don't even like that. I would not bother re-sitting them - focus on the 4 important A levels.
Reply 30
Original post by Professional G
*Whistle* wow that’s a lot of achievements.

Absolute tryhard :rofl:
Reply 31
Original post by ab173
Have nooo idea what GYG means so I would appreciate it if you would tell me lol.
Wow you are really some one to look up to in many aspects. I hope you get the results you want because you deserve them after all this hard work and effort and wish you all the best:smile:

And if you can please tag me too in any future updates :smile:

GYG means Grow Your Grades, I'll tag you from now on :smile:
Original post by Crow_M
I did UKMT in year 10 and got a bronze. I'm in year 11 and going to year 12, I don't go to a summer school as I think most are quite expensive.

The UKMT Senior will be done in year 12 or 13.

The summer schools are for people who did well in the UKMT Intermediate challenge ie a 'good' gold. You'll need to improve a lot to get through to an Olypiad ...
Reply 33
Original post by Doonesbury
Done, and I moved a lone post over here too :wink:

Original post by Crow_M
Olympiads are harder tests, you do them in A Level (there are some for gcse students), you go to round 1, if you get a certain score you go to round 2 and you may go to a school to try to get into the UK team, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Olympiads are way harder than A Levels.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining.
Original post by Crow_M
I'm Martimrgp, I changed my nickname and got a profile picture :3. I created this thread and I'll update it when I make progress, buy textbooks, meet an offer, receive results, etc. Stay tuned :biggrin:

Ohh, ok. I was confused as to who this was. Hello crow? :biggrin: Seems like some great stuff you have planned, keep me tagged. If you do any physics or maths olympiad papers or prep can you pm me a copy if that is possible? Thanks and GL. :woo:
Reply 36
Original post by riannon2001
I did almost exactly the same thing - I'm lucky in that I've been blessed with a very good memory.

Do you do IGCSEs? I'm on the numerical scale but in many ways prefer the old grading system.

At the moment I'm thinking either History or Linguistics at uni - though I may choose to do a joint honours and add French in too. From what I've read I'm sure you'll have no problem getting into whichever uni you choose! :smile:

I'm doing the normal GCSEs in Wales, we kept the old grading system but reformed the specs. I'm so glad I learn extremely fast, certainly was a game changer in year 7-11.
Reply 37
Original post by Missradioactive
Ikr?
I feel dumb now 😂

No not at all, I envy your English grades :P. I'm a catastrophe when it comes to essays..
Reply 38
The summer schools are for people who did well in the UKMT Intermediate challenge ie a 'good' gold. You'll need to improve a lot to get through to an Olypiad ...

Please take into consideration that I had a C grade in maths in year 10 and I was catching up with 13 subjects plus my English is my second language.

I'm more prepared to next year, I'm aiming for gold or higher in the Olympiads, I'll surely give my best to improve. Did you go to a summer school? If so, do you have any resources from it? Would be helpful if you do :smile:
Original post by Crow_M
Portuguese is my native language however I learned it until year 5 in Portugal, I self taught myself more in the UK.

Spanish isn't rny native language, I self taught myself the language from scratch in year 10 and I sat GCSE, AS and A2 Spanish in Year 11.

And thanks :smile:

Bruhh I just realised you’re only going into year 12 and you’re already killing it. I usually always say “good luck” when I’m stalking gygs but you hardly need it lmao. Aight stop gassing you up now good luck regardless

(tag me)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending