The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

What was a foundation year at Sussex like

Hey guys, so i'm starting a business, management, and economics foundation year in a few weeks at Sussex, and I'd like to know more about what it's going to be like. Timetable/contact time, class sizes and ratios, etc...Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by nhyg1
Hey guys, so i'm starting a business, management, and economics foundation year in a few weeks at Sussex, and I'd like to know more about what it's going to be like. Timetable/contact time, class sizes and ratios, etc...Thank you!

This is better asked in the University of Sussex forum - so I've moved it there :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
This is better asked in the University of Sussex forum - so I've moved it there :smile:

thank you :-))
Hey! I didn’t actually do the foundation year but I know a lot of people who did so I’ll try to chip in some info.. my assumption is that there isn’t as much contact time, as the later years however they encourage you to be involved in things external to academics. The class sizes are generally small I believe? Although this may have changed in the past years. The only negative thing I ever heard was that lot of people I knew missed their offer by a grade or so and found the year to be tedious as they could’ve handled first year work however I did a foundation year myself at another university and definetely think it’s worth it for Sussex.
I heard someone say that there is a test you can do during freshers week of your foundation year, and if you pass it, you can get moved directly onto the first year course. Is this true?
Original post by balzino1998
I heard someone say that there is a test you can do during freshers week of your foundation year, and if you pass it, you can get moved directly onto the first year course. Is this true?

I've asked someone who did the foundation year this and I'll update when they reply!
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I've asked someone who did the foundation year this and I'll update when they reply!
Thanks, hopefully you can get an answer today!
Thanks, hopefully you can get an answer today!

He said no - there isn't such a thing (he did his foundation year in 2016/17 so something like that might've popped up last year?) however he did also mention, and this is something I'm aware of: the university does like students to come in through the foundation year route and are quite firm with either you do a foundation year and don't have access to the course. They regularly offer students who've missed their grades fd years.
Original post by fairplaytoyou
He said no - there isn't such a thing (he did his foundation year in 2016/17 so something like that might've popped up last year?) however he did also mention, and this is something I'm aware of: the university does like students to come in through the foundation year route and are quite firm with either you do a foundation year and don't have access to the course. They regularly offer students who've missed their grades fd years.

hm strange, my friend told me that he knew a person who did exams before university officially started, and passing these exams allowed him to transfer directly onto the 1sy year course; this was for engineering/maths and physics though
Reply 9
hm strange, my friend told me that he knew a person who did exams before university officially started, and passing these exams allowed him to transfer directly onto the 1sy year course; this was for engineering/maths and physics though

Speak to the department to be sure about your particular situation :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too sure about why they don't offer it sorry! That does make sense though if true, I guess the uni could've assessed their maths knowledge etc whereas with business not all students have prior knowledge and first year doesn't necessarily require a high level of ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending