The Student Room Group

Clearing help pls !!

Hi,

So my mate’s come out today with 2E’s and a U.
He’s gutted, but I guess A levels aren’t for everyone...

He’s such a smart lad, and I the pressure of exams really got to him.

Are there any uni’s that would accept these grades in clearing?

Ty x
Is university really the best thing for him if he can’t even manage a levels? No offence, but uni isn’t for everyone. Given that university relies on mostly self study I’m not sure he will do very well.....
Original post by del1rious
Is university really the best thing for him if he can’t even manage a levels? No offence, but uni isn’t for everyone. Given that university relies on mostly self study I’m not sure he will do very well.....

He’s smart, but exams aren’t the best for everybody... with a lot of uni courses being assignment based rather than just exam marked, I know he’d do well!
Its very unlikely. I would recommend he takes a gap year and resits his exams. Its his best bet.
Original post by Annasmerchant
Hi,

Ty x

Hey thats such a shame he is very lucky to have a good mate like you to support him. Have you checked out the list of courses currently in clearing and do you know what course he is looking to do ?
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Hey thats such a shame he is very lucky to have a good mate like you to support him. Have you checked out the list of courses currently in clearing and do you know what course he is looking to do ?

Hi, no I’ve not... I really don’t want to constantly bring it up and offend... do you know how I find where all the courses are? He’s looking to do Geography x
Hi, no I’ve not... I really don’t want to constantly bring it up and offend... do you know how I find where all the courses are? He’s looking to do Geography x

Here you go let me know if it helps https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch?stage=subjects&subjects=Geography xxx
Reply 7
He might be able to get into a course with foundation year.
Hi,

Ty x

Uni isn't for everyone, I didn't do hugely well at A-Level but stuck with uni as there wasn't a great deal of other options out there.

I would suggest looking into an apprenticeship so take a look at the TSR apprenticeship Hub. Lots of universities may still offer your buddy a place but the consideration may justifiably be 'is it worth it?'. You could take a look at the government LEO data which shows expected life term earning based on uni/course and use this to balance out your thinking between uni or apprenticeship.Good luck!
Hi,

Ty x

Hi @Annasmerchant

Firstly I think it's really great that you're helping out your mate! :smile: But, as you said A-levels aren't for everyone and University isn't the be all or end all - there are so many options available apart from University.

Apprenticeships are a really great way to get on-the-job work experience (which is invaluable) that build up both soft and hard skills, as well as a qualification at the end of it. https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide is a good wesbite to have a look into Apprenticeships.

It may also be a chance to take a year out and potentially re-take exams, the exam period is really stressful and some cope with that pressure better than others so it could always be worth doing some re-takes. This may also give an opportunity to get some work-experience for a year, a lot of degree apprenticeship courses can be applied for without any qualifications, some requirements are for work experience instead. We have some handy information on our website about degree apprenticeships.

Finally, I think its worth saying that there is still time and no need to rush. Clearing is open for a few weeks so there's definitely no need to rush into any decision, there's no point in going to University for the sake of it. It's a lot of investment in terms of money and time so it's better to think about the long-term rather than the short.

I hope that helps, don't hesitate to message me if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris - NTU Rep
Hi,

Ty x

Hi there,

From the info in your OP it sounds like exams are not the right form of education for him and uni will be no different. Has your friend considered doing an apprenticeship?

With apprenticeships now being offered at levels 4,5,6, and 7 he could still get the same level of qualification as what he would through uni but through an apprenticeship instead.

He may start at level 2 or 3 and quickly work his way up.

Let your friend know that the Exam Results Helpline is here to talk him through his options and they may be able to open up some opportunities he didn't even know existed.

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending