The Student Room Group

Shall I go uni or retake?

I got CEE in maths, biology and chemistry respectively. I've got a place at Keele for biomedical science with a foundation year. Shall I go for it or retake?
i would retake. a levels stick w you for life but if you have had enough just go uni x
Keele is really not highly placed at any ranking system and with an added foundation year, your studies are going to be extra long and expensive.

I think you should analyse why you got CEE and how you can improve. If you realise that it's the fact you didnt revise early enough or you were sick 2 months prior so you ran out of time, then it might be worth retaking and having a gap year. Maybe getting some work experience and making your PS even better.
Original post by alevelshelpit
i would retake. a levels stick w you for life but if you have had enough just go uni x

True but with his foundation year, he will spend as long at uni even if he retook A levels.
Foundation year is extra so if biochem is 3 yrs, now it's 4 bc of foundation.

He might as well consider retakes and then apply to a higher ranked university without foundation present
I wouldn't retake if I were you... but thats just my opinion. Go with what you think is best.
Reply 5
I would retake if i were you. I retook my A levels and went from a CCC (where I got accepted to a decent uni, in the top 50) to an AAB (where I got accepted into a uni ranked in the top 20). It's much better to go to a great uni at the age of 20 than an average one at the age of 18, it's really worth the wait :smile:
Original post by jas149
I would retake if i were you. I retook my A levels and went from a CCC (where I got accepted to a decent uni, in the top 50) to an AAB (where I got accepted into a uni ranked in the top 20). It's much better to go to a great uni at the age of 20 than an average one at the age of 18, it's really worth the wait :smile:

Thank you. I think I'm going to retake and hopefully do much better.
Original post by SomMC1
Keele is really not highly placed at any ranking system and with an added foundation year, your studies are going to be extra long and expensive.

I think you should analyse why you got CEE and how you can improve. If you realise that it's the fact you didnt revise early enough or you were sick 2 months prior so you ran out of time, then it might be worth retaking and having a gap year. Maybe getting some work experience and making your PS even better.

Thank you. A very wise friend of mine has convinced me to have another go and try again and then see where life takes me. I need to at least try to do better. So I've decided to retake.
Reply 8
Original post by crazycatlady141
Thank you. A very wise friend of mine has convinced me to have another go and try again and then see where life takes me. I need to at least try to do better. So I've decided to retake.

Good luck!! It will be worth it :smile:
Original post by jas149

So you did 2 gap years essentially? Couldn’t you apply in the year that you were retaking?
Reply 10
Original post by MajorFader
So you did 2 gap years essentially? Couldn’t you apply in the year that you were retaking?

I changed two of my A level subjects since i didn't enjoy them at all, so I was practically starting from the beginning. I was doing two new AS subjects while retaking my other subject (only the A2 units). So I ended up applying 2 years later.
Original post by jas149
Good luck!! It will be worth it :smile:

thank you:tongue: :biggrin:
Was it worth the wait? Do you regret retaking? Or do you wish you did a foundation course?
What did you get??
Reply 14
RESITS are they normally wanting the results in one sitting.
Reply 15
You have to take a step back and think, do I want to do another year? What difference will another year make? If I tried really hard and dedicated all my time to my studies, would I achieve higher grades? Is this the apex of my potential for a levels? Ect.
I redid a year and I don't regret it. It's not something I wanted to do but I had changes in my personal life and my health deteriorated which made college more difficult.
It's something you need to discuss with your school/college, they might not allow it or want you to take the AS paper. If you're planning on sitting the exams this year, you need to enquire immediately if [retaking a year] would be an option for you.
There are other options though- like someone has said you, could take a foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest