The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford at age 14

Scroll to see replies

No, you’re way too young and won’t be considered, so you have no choice except to wait.

And even then you’re not guaranteed a place. Even if you do well In the PAT, you might not do well in the interview. Most applicants to Oxford get rejected and pretty much all of them have amazing grades.
Original post by Doonesbury
When are you actually speaking to Oxford about this? And indeed to each of your other potential universities?
Have you visited any of them?

Do your parents know you are applying?

My parents were the ones who encouraged me. I will speak to my unis tomorrow.
Reply 62
@saboor 123 re Imperial, you won't be able to live in university halls if you are under 16

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/registry/academic-governance/public/academic-policy/admissions/Minors-policy.pdf
"3.9. Applicants are advised that the College does not accommodate students under sixteen years of age, with or without accompaniment, in Halls of Residence or other university accommodation."
Original post by Doonesbury
@saboor 123 re Imperial, you won't be able to live in university halls if you are under 16

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/registry/academic-governance/public/academic-policy/admissions/Minors-policy.pdf
"3.9. Applicants are advised that the College does not accommodate students under sixteen years of age, with or without accompaniment, in Halls of Residence or other university accommodation."

Dont worry I live near imperial. Thats mot a problem. Ucl, imperial and kings are nothing to worry about when it comes to age.
Original post by The RAR
This has to be a troll. There is NO WAY a 14 year old can do A levels, just no way unless they are some kind of weirdo or something. If this post is true which I highly doubt it then what did you get in your GCSEs and at what age did you do them?

i have a 14 year old and a 16 year old in my A2 class for maths.
The 14 year old did his GCSEs with me and beat pretty much the whole class.
Original post by haseeb_jarral

Finally someone who knows nice people. Assalamu alaikum by the way.
Original post by saboor 123
Finally someone who knows nice people. Assalamu alaikum by the way.

wsalam...
well done on being a child prodigy i guess 😂
wsalam...
well done on being a child prodigy i guess 😂

Jazakallah khair

Why did their parents allow this? There is so much else to study that the narrowing to exam specifications is foolish.
Original post by Muttley79
Why did their parents allow this? There is so much else to study that the narrowing to exam specifications is foolish.

Cause they want their choldren to grow. Lol. Duh
Original post by Muttley79

tbf the school didn't see why holding them back was gonna help anyone in anyway. Their parents agreed
He joined our Y11 class when he was in Y7 and he's been with us since... they only do maths at a higher level so I don't see why that's such a bad thing tbh
tbf the school didn't see why holding them back was gonna help anyone in anyway. Their parents agreed
He joined our Y11 class when he was in Y7 and he's been with us since... they only do maths at a higher level so I don't see why that's such a bad thing tbh

Wow. That happened to me. And then I left school.
Thats bizarre. How do I do nothing for 2 years?

This lack of foresight and maturity is EXACTLY why uni's won't want to take you. You should have thought about this before you took your qualifications early.

Work or do more qualifications. Your choice to ignore the legal ramifications of hoping to start uni as a child
Wow. That happened to me. And then I left school.

how long have you been homeschooled?
Original post by super_kawaii
This lack of foresight and maturity is EXACTLY why uni's won't want to take you. You should have thought about this before you took your qualifications early.

Work or do more qualifications. Your choice to ignore the legal ramifications of hoping to start uni as a child

Thats not fair. They should co sider our age and take it in a good way.
Thats not fair. They should co sider our age and take it in a good way.

You're legally and mentally not ready for uni at age 14. That's the problem. You're nowhere near mature enough to cope with university.

Answer me this, how do you hope to get experience in industry? How to you hope to command the respect of adults (potentially 10 years your seniors) when running a society? How will you cope with the pressures of actually finding a job after graduation?

There is more to life than qualifications. Going to Oxford alone will never save you
You're legally and mentally not ready for uni at age 14. That's the problem. You're nowhere near mature enough to cope with university.

Answer me this, how do you hope to get experience in industry? How to you hope to command the respect of adults (potentially 10 years your seniors) when running a society? How will you cope with the pressures of actually finding a job after graduation?

There is more to life than qualifications. Going to Oxford alone will never save you

I wont do a job. I will jist do the qulaification. I need that course. I love physics and its something I need and want. I should be mature. Tell me what would they be expecting from me?
I wont do a job. I will jist do the qulaification. I need that course. I love physics and its something I need and want. I should be mature. Tell me what would they be expecting from me?

They expect you to be a legal adult for one.

Also, you need more than just a qualification. All the qualification will do is tick a box then it becomes irrelevant. What matters most in REAL LIFE is how you apply that knowledge, how you work with others, your soft skills, everything you get from time in industry (which you're too young to do) and from doing extra curricular activities alongside your degree.

You'll need a job after you graduate-how on earth do you expect to survive otherwise?

Trust me, I've finished my degree and am applying for jobs. There are more important things than academics

Also, you need more than just a qualification. All the qualification will do is tick a box then it becomes irrelevant. What matters most in REAL LIFE is how you apply that knowledge, how you work with others, your soft skills, everything you get from time in industry (which you're too young to do) and from doing extra curricular activities alongside your degree.

You'll need a job after you graduate-how on earth do you expect to survive otherwise?

Trust me, I've finished my degree and am applying for jobs. There are more important things than academics

I already earn. Dont worry about finances. I am just worrying about getting in here.
Reply 79

Actually they don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending