The Student Room Group

Is spanking children child abuse?

I want to know what you think about it. Is it ever ok to spank your child?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Personally I don't think its right. If I ever have children, I won't ever spank them. I don't like the idea of a child getting hurt :frown:
Violence against children is always abuse. We wouldn't spank adults for doing something wrong, so why vulnerable children? It doesn't teach children respect, it teaches them fear.
Reply 3
Well, it's a form of negative reinforcement, which is supposed to teach a child to stop the "bad" behaviour, in fear of a consequence.

I think that sometimes a slap is necessary; never on the child's face/head but elsewhere.
There's never an excuse to hit a child. If you can't discipline your children without resorting to violence, you probably shouldn't have any in the first place.
I don't really agree with it. Children aren't able to protect themselves and it may cause physical damage as well as emotional. Agree 100% with OP.
Reply 6
Original post by bones-mccoy
There's never an excuse to hit a child. If you can't discipline your children without resorting to violence, you probably shouldn't have any in the first place.

Wow its not for you to say how somebody raises their children or whether they should even have children.

I think there's nothing wrong with hitting children now and then, just for discipline and if they continuesly don't listen for example
Original post by Randyyy
Wow its not for you to say how somebody raises their children or whether they should even have children.

I think there's nothing wrong with hitting children now and then, just for discipline and if they continuesly don't listen for example

If raising your child means that you use violence to control and manipulate them into doing what you want, you're a bad parent. As OP has already pointed out, it's an arrestable offence to hit any other person so why should it be okay to hit a child?
Its sexual assault because spanking is foreplay between bf and gf.

The amount of female adults that “like” getting spanked proves that it’s messed up to spank your child ...period.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
If raising your child means that you use violence to control and manipulate them into doing what you want, you're a bad parent. As OP has already pointed out, it's an arrestable offence to hit any other person so why should it be okay to hit a child?

Its discipline, its making them listen to you. I do think some children need a slap now and then to be straightened up. You don't decide what makes a bad parent, you have no idea what intentions a parent could have for slapping a kid, and what kind of an effect it'll have on the child... The parent will know better.

Uhhm maybe because adults and children are just worlds apart and need to be treated differently? I love children and am not personally planning to hit my kids or anything of the sort but yall trying to take the moral highground here and are calling parentw who bring their children up this way 'bad parents' or whatever
I think people are far too quick to throw the "abuse" label out there, in many situations. I don't have children, but I was brought up knowing that a smack was coming if I misbehaved. It was never hard enough to leave marks or anything, and my parents were brilliant parents and very loving.

If we mollycoddle kids to this extent, they'll grow up thinking they're untouchable by parents, teachers and anyone else - and will be in for a massive shock when they realise that misbehaving as an adult leads to more than 5 minutes on the naughty step.

I know lots of people will disagree with me and that's fine (in fact please don't even quote me because I can't be bothered with a debate - I've told you my stance on this) - but I just think there's a massive difference between parents giving their child a quick smack because they're being little horrors and parents who beat their child black and blue. You can't call "abuse' for everything.

My mum once slapped me hard across the face as a teenager because I said something awful to her. Am I calling the police or calling her an abuser? No, because I deserved it, and although it shocked me that she did that, it brought me to my senses.
Agree that hitting children is not ideal, but i don't think parents should be prosecuted for using reasonable force, which they may have used as a last resort, and i don't think its right governments dictate what exactly a parent should do, like in Norway, where many families are torn apart, based on often groundless accusations from neighbours.....
Original post by Randyyy
Its discipline, its making them listen to you. I do think some children need a slap now and then to be straightened up. You don't decide what makes a bad parent, you have no idea what intentions a parent could have for slapping a kid, and what kind of an effect it'll have on the child... The parent will know better.

Uhhm maybe because adults and children are just worlds apart and need to be treated differently? I love children and am not personally planning to hit my kids or anything of the sort but yall trying to take the moral highground here and are calling parentw who bring their children up this way 'bad parents' or whatever

Well, no. If I hit an adult they would be well in their right to call the police and have me arrested, but somehow it's okay to hit a child? The idea is completely absurd and I'm not sure why people aren't grasping it. The only thing hitting a child does is teach them that violence is a suitable way to get what they want. It teaches them fear, distrust and resentment.

No one knows what effect it will have on the child and this goes for the parents too. I'm sure if parents understood the aftereffects of hitting their kid they would be hesitant to continue that practice. They do not know better. There is absolutely no excuse, nothing about discipline or how to raise your child or teach them manners, that can excuse physically harming a child. Don't quote me again because that is the end of it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm for corporal punishment and think it nshould be brought back for primary schools at least. I come from a background that used hitting/slapping as punishment and it does indeed work.

I believe from obedience comes respect which is where a lot of the problems troubled schools have as the lack obedience.
Well, no. If I hit an adult they would be well in their right to call the police and have me arrested, but somehow it's okay to hit a child? The idea is completely absurd and I'm not sure why people aren't grasping it. The only thing hitting a child does is teach them that violence is a suitable way to get what they want. It teaches them fear, distrust and resentment.

No one knows what effect it will have on the child and this goes for the parents too. I'm sure if parents understood the aftereffects of hitting their kid they would be hesitant to continue that practice. They do not know better. There is absolutely no excuse, nothing about discipline or how to raise your child or teach them manners, that can excuse physically harming a child. Don't quote me again because that is the end of it.

You're ridiculous

I would argue that hitting teaches fear, respect and obedience from personal experiences. It teaches negative actions have negative consequences.
This is the WRONG website to discuss it because you have a lot of sheltered people on here who subjectively defend their wee little "cultures" and actually find spanking funny.
Original post by Randyyy
You're ridiculous

You're ridiculous
Original post by Guru Jason
I'm for corporal punishment and think it nshould be brought back for primary schools at least. I come from a background that used hitting/slapping as punishment and it does indeed work.

I believe from obedience comes respect which is where a lot of the problems troubled schools have as the lack obedience.

Is this the only punishment that teaches respect and obedience? If you can't think of anything else, just don't have children
Original post by Guru Jason
I would argue that hitting teaches fear, respect and obedience from personal experiences. It teaches negative actions have negative consequences.

This fear develops into a lack of freedom and a very weak relationship with the parent, which then leads to constantly lying out of fear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending