The Student Room Group

How to footnote translated primary sources with unknown author (MA level)

Hi. I am writing a history essay for the first time in a while. I am not completely sure how to footnote certain sources, specifically translated primary sources. In the book Charlemagne: Translated Sources by P. D. King, he provides a translation of annals produced in Charlemagne's reign and also capitularies (a form of legal document produced in Charlemagne's reign). In both cases, the authors are unknown. I am thinking the best way of footing the source is like this: Name of document, trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30. Or like this: Name of document, as quoted in trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30. So, in the case of a capitulary, it would either be footnoted like this: Memorandum for missi in Aquitaine, trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30. Or it would be footnoted like this:
Memorandum for missi in Aquitaine, as quoted in trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30 Do I have to mention anything else, such as the unknown authorship or the approximate date of its production?
Original post by hsnhendry
Hi. I am writing a history essay for the first time in a while. I am not completely sure how to footnote certain sources, specifically translated primary sources. In the book Charlemagne: Translated Sources by P. D. King, he provides a translation of annals produced in Charlemagne's reign and also capitularies (a form of legal document produced in Charlemagne's reign). In both cases, the authors are unknown.

I am thinking the best way of footing the source is like this:
Name of document, trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30.
Or like this:
Name of document, as quoted in trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30.

So, in the case of a capitulary, it would either be footnoted like this:
Memorandum for missi in Aquitaine, trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30.
Or it would be footnoted like this:
Memorandum for missi in Aquitaine, as quoted in trans. P. D. King, Charlemagne Translated Sources (Cumbria: P. D. King, 1987), 23 - 30

Do I have to mention anything else, such as the unknown authorship or the approximate date of its production?
I think you should be fine. Does King include approximate date of production? If so the information is there and anyone following the breadcrumb will be able to see that information. Plus if you've mentioned the date in your writing then it's covered regardless. Hope this helps.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending